Thiaoouba’s sun-Coordinates quite easy. Has anyone bothered?

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Shaeel

Thiaoouba’s sun-Coordinates quite easy. Has anyone bothered?

Having only recently finished the e-version of Michel Desmarquet’s book, which describes the location of Thiaoouba’s star relative to Sol, I checked the net to find out if anyone had ever discussed the star’s identity as listed in Earth star catalogues. To my surprise, I could find nothing.

I registered with this board to carry out a search here as well, but again, I’m unable to find any indication that anyone’s actually gone to the trouble of working out the most likely location of Thiaoouba’s home sun.

Perhaps my google fu is deficient. If someone could tell me which thread has already covered this topic that would be most appreciated.
Bassel

have you checked this page ---> http://www.thiaoouba.com/faq.htm
Q. Where is Thiaoouba ?
A. Thiaoouba is most likely in the Pleiades (there were no signs on the way). Our Sun is barely visible from there. Pleiades is quite a unique group of stars in which, unlike in most other "constellations" all stars are VERY CLOSE to one another. There are very few such groups of stars in our Galaxy.
That is as far as we know. There are very few hints that could possibly give us further knowledge/evidence on it's whereabouts, as far as i know at least.
"The mind is like a fertile garden in which anything that is planted, flowers or weeds, will grow" -Bruce Lee
Shaeel

Thanks Bassel. I did check that page a while ago.

According to the clues left in Michel Desmarquet's book, Thiaoouba's star is definitely not located in the direction of the Pleiades constellation.

My own calculations based on those clues points to the Telescopium-Norma-Pavo-Triangulum Australis group of constellations as the most likely direction.

I'm not trying to be coy here. While reading the book I spent a little time (over an hour) working out the most likely location based on the clues provided in the book and, with the indispensable help of a 3D star map and table (available on the net) I got what I believe to be a highly plausible (99.9% confidence level) result.

I simply wanted to check if someone else has already done the same exercise as it really isn't all that difficult to do.

The last thing I want to do is to post something that's a repeat of something already done.

Pleiedes is most definitely untrue, according to my calculations.
Bassel

Indeed, it may be possible to locate the star using the 3D star map, a good idea no doubt, if the hints we're basing the search on are the direction in which Michel described earth as it went smaller and smaller (south america could be seen if i recall) and the planets he described as the spaceship went past them.
However there are a few things that might make the search more challenging, namely if the spaceship's direction was not linear, or if it changed direction once it left the solar system and entered 'deep space'... And the location of Thiaoouba in correspondance to the location of Arémo X3.

By the way it's interesting to note that if we knew the exact speed of the spaceship (how many times the speed of light) it would be much easier to point out where is Arémo X3 (at which the spaceship stopped before proceding to Thiaoouba) and where is Thiaoouba given the times it took to reach these consecutive destinations as described by Michel is accurate. It may actually be one of the reasons why Thao wouldn't tell Michel how many times the speed of light they were travelling!
"The mind is like a fertile garden in which anything that is planted, flowers or weeds, will grow" -Bruce Lee
Shaeel

What Michel observed before and during the flight is essentailly meaningless. In the pre flight stage he was probably participating in an interactive 3D movie (Bermuda Triangle, ye gods!) and during the flight he was probably just shown an in flight movie.

It seems that no one has worked out the actual location based on the clues provided in the book.

So, where is Thiaoouba located?

That was actually quite easy to determine, based on what Michel was told by Thao on page 162 of the book.

In the book Michel relates that after night had fallen and the stars had come out, he asked his hosts:

“Where is Earth?”

Here is what he was told:
‘Thao approached me and almost whispered in a voice that was sad and one I could hardly recognise as hers: ‘do you see those four stars, Michel, just above the horizon? They almost form a square. The one on the top right is green and shinier than the others.’

‘Yes, I think that’s it - yes, it forms a square - the green, yes.’

‘Now go to the right of the square and slightly higher. You will see two red stars quite close together.’

‘Yes.’

‘Keep your eye on the one on the right and go a tiny bit higher. Can you see a tiny white star? It’s barely visible.’

‘I think so... yes.’

‘And on its left a little higher is a tiny yellow one.’

‘Yes, that’s right.’

‘The tiny white one is the sun which lights up the planet Earth.’

‘So, where is Earth?’

Well, Duh!

Sorry to interpose my own thoughts here, but Michel’s question was breathtaking stupid.

In its favour, it does add a note of authenticity to his narrative. It demonstrates beyond any shadow of doubt that Michel does not have even the most basic knowledge or understanding about stars, planets or interstellar distances.

Thao responded quite nicely to Michel and simply stated the blindingly obvious:
‘Invisible from here, Michel. We are too far away.’

So here it is. Thao’s description in point form. The location of Thiaoouba’s star system as revealed in the above description, with my insertions identifying the most likely stars in each case:

1. “Four stars just above the horizon? They almost form a square. The one on the top right is green and shinier than the others.”
That would probably be Sol’s bright near neighbour, Sirius, although it was not named by Thao.

2. “Go to the right of the square and slightly higher. You will see two red stars quite close together. From the red star on the right, go a tiny bit higher to a tiny, barely visible white star.”
(identified as Sol by Thao).

4. “On its left, a little higher is a tiny yellow one.”
(Rigil Kent – not identified by Thao but it is Sol’s nearest neighbour).

I disregarded the small red stars which are of little use as markers being either close foreground or deep background stars. It’s not possible to determine this one way or another from this description. Whatever they are, they cannot be close neighbours to Sol.

Now we have the description of a small formation of three stars – Sol and its two nearest neighbours - that are described as being in a formation similar to that indicated by the asterisks:

(I’ve included what I believe is the most likely identity of each).

Tiny yellow star (Rigil Kent):………………………….…………. *
Tiny, barely visible white star (Sol):……………….…..…………….*

Green and shinier star (Sirius):…………...…….*

Rigil Kent and Sirius are Sol’s closest neighbours.

As the centre of the galactic coordinate system, Sol, naturally, has coordinates of:

Zero Distance, Longitude = zero degrees and Latitude = zero degrees.

Rigil Kent (AKA Alpha Centauri) has the following galactic coordinates:

Distance from Sol = 4.4 light years
Longitude = 315.7 degrees
Latitude = -0.7 degrees

Stars A and B combined of Rigil Kent make this binary system maybe 50% brighter than Sol

Sirius is the second closest star to Sol and is only 8.6 light years away.

(Forget Barnard’s star, it’s invisible to the naked eye).

Also, Sirius is an impressive 21 times brighter than Sol. Sirius would continue to stand out as a very bright near neighbour of Sol from a distance of many light years.

Distance from Sol = 8.6 light years
Longitude = 227.2 degrees
Latitude = -8.9 degrees

It’s reasonable to suppose that Thao would choose the most prominent star in close proximity to Sol as the main reference point or marker star. The “green and shinier” one and the bright star Sirius, second closest to Sol, would be the most logical choice.

Here’s a link to a 3D map from “Atlas of the Universe” Three D representational Map

Seen from side on at the equator of the galactic coordinate system, Sol and its two nearest neighbours, Rigil Kent and Sirius, would form a slightly ragged straight line.

Sirius with a latitude of -8.9 degrees would be only about 1.33 light years below the galactic equator and Rigil Kent with a latitude of -0.7 degrees is only about half a light year below the galactic equator.

The map in the Link depicts in two dimensions a 3D map of all stars visible to the naked eye that are within 50 light years of Earth. There are only about 130 of those within the fifty light year radius and only about two dozen of these are orange-yellow dwarfs like Sol. The map isn’t perfect, but I think it’s a reasonably good depiction.

Note the table heading where it states that the sun seen from a distance of 50 light years would be: “a magnitude 5.8 star --- a faint point of light barely visible to the naked eye.”

In the book Thao also used the words: “barely visible” to describe the appearance of Sol.

So, of the three coordinates needed, we have one approximate coordinate of Thiaoouba’s star.

A distance of approximately 50 light years from Sol (give or take a few light years).

First Coordinate, Distance = approx 50 light years

From the pattern of stars described you would need to perform the calculation from four perspectives.

Two perspectives with Rigil Kent further away from Thiaoouba than Sol or about 54 light years (calculate with 1. North up and 2. South up).

Two perspectives with Rigil Kent closer to Thiaoouba than Sol or about 46 light years (calculate with 1. North up or 2. South up).

Three of these calculations end up with nothing remotely close to being a plausible candidate star and those three calculations were easy to rule out.

The only calculation that provided a good candidate star is that with Rigil Kent being closer to Thiaoouba than Sol, at about 46 Light years distance, with North pointing in an upward direction.

When Michel saw the pattern of stars, from his viewpoint the galactic equator horizon appeared to be tilted down to the left from his perspective (Michel could have tilted his own head to the left to compensate, but since he was absolutely clueless about basic astronomy, it didn’t really matter).

For Sol to be to the right of Rigil Kent on the galactic coordinate system, Thiaoouba’s longitude must be greater than Rigil Kent’s longitude of 315.7 degrees.

From Michel’s description, the lateral gap between Sol and Rigil Kent on the line between Sirius and Rigil Kent is not large, so it would probably be much less than 360 degrees longitude.

Split the difference between 315.7 degrees and 360 degrees longitude. Gives us an estimate of Thiaoouba’s longitude of about 338 degrees.

Second Coordinate, Longitude = approx 338 degrees

Rigil Kent with latitude of -0.7 degrees is virtually on the equator but at the time Michel saw the formation of the three stars, Rigil Kent was located at a higher level than Sol, but not so much higher as compared to the distance between Sol and Sirius.

For that to happen, Thiaoouba must be below the galactic equator, but only by a fairly short distance and a small angle. Perhaps somewhere between latitude -5 degrees and -20 degrees.

Third Coordinate, Latitude = approx 12. 5 degrees

So, looking at the 3D map (See the above map link at atlasoftheuniverse) and the table that lists stars out to 50 light years and provides galactic coordinates for each star, it’s fairly easy to judge which orange yellow dwarf star is the best match to qualify as the star around which Thiaoouba orbits.

The standout candidate is Mu Arae in the Ara constellation. Mu Arae is a yellow-orange dwarf star 70% brighter than Sol with galactic coordinates of:

Distance from Sol: 49.83 light years
Longitude: 340.1 degrees
Latitude: -11.5 degrees
Leo

Without sounding rude, but aren't you making a huge presumption that the stars that form what looks like a square on Thiaoouba, may not in fact look the same from Earths perspective? I am not big on Astronomy, you may in fact be correct, but I find it hard to fathom it looking the same on two planets light years apart, even if we are in fact in the same galaxy.

Paint a perfect square on a wall, now from straight in front it is a square, from a side view it is a rectangle, from that same side view go 10 feet in the air, now it looks like a diamond. My logic says that all things look different depending on the angle you look at it.

Besides, even if you are correct, how can we possible find out for sure? even with the hubble telescope looking, if the Thaora don't want us to see or find them they have the technology and the knowledge to stop us doing so.

The one true way to have a two way connection to Thiaoouba, is out of wack (ie the Pyramid of Cheops) our one and only intergalactic telecommunication centre (I also am making a huge presumption that the Pyramid of Cheops was used to communicate with Thiaoouba and not some other planet).

Anyways, if you are correct, congrats... Now what do we do with this information??

Love and Peace :)
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
Shaeel

Leo wrote:Without sounding rude, but aren't you making a huge presumption that the stars that form what looks like a square on Thiaoouba, may not in fact look the same from Earths perspective?
I said absolutely nothing to suggest that the stars in the square formation had the same appearance from Earth as from Thiaoouba and I have no idea how you could have gained that impression.

I identified the star in the top right hand corner of the formation of four stars, which Thao used as a marker star, the "green and shinier" one, as most likely to be that very bright, near neighbour of Sol, and only 8.6 light years away, to be Sirius.

Did you take a look at the 3D star map in the link I provided? Here it is again:

Three D representational Map

The only stars that are relevant are Sirius, Sol and Rigil Kent (or Alpha Centauri, if you prefer).

It's the formation of the three stars named above, as observed from the viewpoint of Mu Arae, that's relevant here.

Perhaps you could do a tabletop model for your own benefit of the Sirius-Sol-Rigil Kent and Mu Arae formation.

If you line yourself up behind the model of Mu Arae and focus on the three stars under discussion, you would be able to see for yourself that the pattern formed by Sirius-Sol-Rigil Kent closely matches the description in the book and my attempted illustration of that formation using asterisks (see my third post).

The distance of about 50 light years distance is pretty solid, based on Sol's faint appearance. From that it was simple to estimate the speed of Thao's space ship from the duration of the journey as described in the book.

Estimated Duration of Flight

Page 14

After about half an hour embarking onto the space ship and a short introduction at the start of his journey, Michel is given a pill that results in his getting an Out Of Body experience for three hours while his body gets purified of Earth bacteria.

3.5 hours

Page 21

Michel is suddenly drawn back into his body again. He spends perhaps another two hours watching an in flight movie with humongous insects, as preposterous as the worst 1950’s Science Fiction, but with greatly superior special effects. Michel believed this was a stopover but It's more likely that his hosts were pulling his leg.

2.0 hours

Page 30

Thao announces that: “--- we will be arriving in 16 of your Earth hours and 35 minutes”.

16.5 hours

That adds up to an estimated flight duration of 22 hours to travel from Earth to Thao’s star system, Mu Arae, 49.83 light years from Sol.

Assuming there was no loiter time, that would indicate a superluminal speed of about 20,000 :shock: times the speed of light.

That certainly exceeds what we believe to be standard speed limit of light as established by Einstein et al.

Perhaps the gravitational hyperdrive theories developed by the late Burkhard Heim are right, after all.
Shaeel

Leo wrote:Anyways, if you are correct, congrats... Now what do we do with this information??
I believe that until proven otherwise, it would be safest for Earthlings to assume that extraterrestrials are more likely to be lying through their food chewing equipment than telling the truth. :wink:
legiwei

I have the slightest idea on astronomy but nonetheless I like the way you derive your conclusion base on what you've perceived to be hints drop by the book.

However though, base on my very limited understanding, I believe you've placed quite a huge confidence on a qualitative description to determine the quantitative aspect on it. That is, the word, "faint appearance" to determine it to be roughly 50 light years away.

It is never wise to use a qualitative word to quantify something I believe as everybody's perception is absolutely different.

So, to say that, you're about 99% confident that you do know the location of Thiaoouba base solely on those assumption you've made which IMO is not very solid is not so to me.

And just an after thought, our understanding of space is quite limited and the law that applies to it may very well be different from the laws that apply to Earth though. Let's say that the distance between Thiaoouba and Earth is indeed 50 light years away, we're making an assumption that light travels at the same speed in space as it is on Earth and that the spacecraft had really travelled for 22 hours travelling a total distance of 50 light years which after all may not be quite true. Remember though, Thiaooubans did and do make a couple of stops, I think the inflight movie was one of those, correct me if i'm wrong. Well, this is after all my observation from my very limited understanding. So, do ignore this if it indeed sound so stupid to you. :D

But again, you may be right after all but I do believe it is the way that you pick up those hints that facinate me most. As again, even if you do know the exact location of Thiaoouba, it serves no purpose at all as the point of this book was never to discuss, argue or to dismiss any of our technical knowledge on Earth, rather, it is clearly a spiritual one and a very well delievered one IMO. No other book has inspired me more than this.

And the best part is that one of the most dangerous things to us on Earth is religion(!) yet this is a spiritual message. I clearly wouldn't have seen that coming, as most people will like to relate religion with a holy or spiritual person.
Rezo

As you've said, Rigil Kent is sol's closest neighbor, but is it possible that 2 of 3 3d coordinates if oriented in space in such a way if you look up and see them very close together, one may infact be behind the other and just slightly offset but infact noticably further, and perhaps brighter, but to a naked eye observer, may simply appear to be close by, and of equal photonic intensity? In which case would it be hypothetically possible to find 'false' coordinates? If so how many?

If infact rigil kent and sol always seen close together no matter how you look at them, then you're probably right, at least in the right neighborhood. You already pointed out that the bright green one is Sirius and I think I agree with that much.

I've actually been thinking lately about getting into astronomy as a hobby, need a book to get started.
gog

to
-Shaeel-

You know, i've been wondering about this for a while now, and now THIS!!!!!!

what can i say... i'm amazed...

Great work you've done here....

8)[/b]
Shaeel

legiwei wrote:I believe you've placed quite a huge confidence on a qualitative description to determine the quantitative aspect on it. That is, the word, "faint appearance" to determine it to be roughly 50 light years away.

It is never wise to use a qualitative word to quantify something I believe as everybody's perception is absolutely different.
I agree with you that qualitative descriptions should be treated with great caution, but what would appear as a dim star to you would almost certainly have the same appearance to me or to most other people.

The term that caught my eye was the term "barely visible". That was the term used by Thao to describe the appearance of Sol. It is the exact same term used in the heading of the table below the map that lists: all stars visible to the naked eye within 50 light years.

Three D representational Map

From the table header that describes how Sol would appear from a distance of fifty light years:
---a magnitude 5.8 star --- a faint point of light barely visible to the naked eye.
That was why I attached such confidence to the distance estimate.

As for the claims made by Thao and his/her fellows regarding the location of their homeworld, I doubt that they told the truth about anything. However, a discussion on any aspect or of their truthfulness in general (pretty low, in my opinion) would be off topic. So would a discussion of their ability to write fiction (abysmal, in my opinion).
Shaeel

gog wrote:to
-Shaeel-

You know, i've been wondering about this for a while now, and now THIS!!!!!!

what can i say... i'm amazed...

Great work you've done here....
Thanks for the compliment gog.

However, I'm never really 100% confident about anything (just reasonably sure, at best, and always ready to be persuaded otherwise).
Ptah

Thao stated that the stars were coloured that way because of the atmosphere.
You cannont say a red star is a red star only if you were out in space. They did this by eyesight. Their atmosphere is going to be different. Period. The best clue is that of the speed of light, which was hidden from us.

At certan times of the year the moon appears far closer to us, due to our atmosphere.
Apperances cant be trusted.

The most important thing is not where they are, but what is happening to us!
ivan4iai

I think that once I learn to astral project effectively, it would be fun to try to find Thiaoouba.