The Media : Is Television Toxic : Confession of a TV Junkie

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

The Media : Is Television Toxic : Confession of a TV Junkie

Recently someone mentioned the reptllian brain as the source of primal emotions such as anger and fear. I had heard of the reptillian brain before, however I had been watching an action show which was doing it's best to raise tensions in the plot. The events started to get me thinking..

I started to realise that the TV show I was watching was actually appealing to the systems of the reptillian brain. Everything in the show was trying to build up the sense of 'fear of death' - The music, the plot, shakey camera scenes, blood, guns pointed at heads, bashings, near drowning, death, battered bodies, and a craft that was on the verge of destruction the entire time.

In essense, the entire show revolved around exciting the 'reptillian brain', and that is something I began to think of as irresponsible and distasteful.

So I started thinking about what kinds of negative emotions are likely to be targetted by various forms of media :
* Action / Thriller : fear, impending doom
* News : fear, anger, distrust, paranoia
* Fashion : lust, materialism
* Music : lust, anger
* Advertising : hoarding, lust, materialism
* Comedy : callousness, amusement/joy at the suffering of others (sadism)

At first I was thinking comedy was one of the better forms of media. I love to watch shows like Scrubs, Seinfeld, Futurama, and dare I admit it.. Family Guy is very funny. I thought about what I was laughing at and it started to seem rather callous - people getting physically or emotionally hurt, and humiliated (particularly on Family Guy). Oh mannnnnnnn...

I guess this post will really irritate a few other TV junkies out there ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
pax47

Re: The Media : Is Television Toxic : Confession of a TV Junkie

Zark wrote: Family Guy is very funny. I thought about what I was laughing at and it started to seem rather callous - people getting physically or emotionally hurt, and humiliated (particularly on Family Guy)
This actually true Zark, and I feel bad about it. Just try to imagine a 4 year old kid watching this junks (TV shows).

My fiance's sister (4 year old girl) can't stand not watching non-sense cartoons all day. And she cries like dying if her mom will switch the channel.
[-X
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Prince Gautama "Buddha"
Adam

It seems like the more you think about the things you do in life, the less things there are to do. D:
Robanan

If to ignore the huge web of things that are leading the media to what it is, you will see that the resource they are harvesting is your consciousness. I'm not going to analyze their purposes either, because these kind of entertainment products come from a chain of "perfect members of the system" who have no clue whatsoever of what they are doing. Their best achievements are in most cases supressing individuality and intelligence.
My fiance's sister (4 year old girl) can't stand not watching non-sense cartoons all day. And she cries like dying if her mom will switch the channel.
Children like playing more than sitting around, they adore attention, they get addicted to it because at this age they need it naturally and it is the adult's responsibility to assit them in growing a strong individuality. I can't watch the the cartoons that you are talking about (starting from simpsons down to spongebob) as an adult person because I analyze them, but children absorb everything about them without scrutiny. So the best way is to distract them you can even do that with other cartoons that you like yourself (believe me they won't even tell the difference, but will appreciate you putting effort into it). Good cartoons like "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" or "WALL-E " even "Monsters Inc." could keep them busy for days. This along with other activities that would keep them busy and their minds inquisitive, their intelligence growing should complement eachother so you catch their imagination and nourish it with things that you know is good for them in their future.
Children can change you, it's a waste to let it burn just by having it sit around the house hypnotizing a piece of shiny glass. Use it to perfect your own approach toward life, there is so much you can learn from them and believe me, they will love you for that.

We got some very well "experienced" guys here in regarding to this matters :eye: I'll leave it to them to see if there is anything they can help you with.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
ronald

In regard to children and play, I recommend reading: Magical Child by: Joseph Chilton Pearce
TempUser

The Media Is Toxic : Television

Hi.

Thought you guys might find these videos interesting.

A father does an experiment on living without television. <--The ending was inspiring. I like how he doesn't talk to his kids in a condescending way, as if conversing with another adult.

A psychologist delves into the topic of "Mind Control". <---The channel that provides this video is very useful imo.

Hope you guys enjoy. :thumleft:
It doesn't matter how many books you have read, how many lectures you have heard - What matters is what you actually UNDERSTAND from them today about the universe and your particular role in it" -Thomas J. Chalko
Zark

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

>> A father does an experiment on living without television.

Watching this now, awesome !
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

TV - The great de-motivator

I have been noticing lately that TV is the great de-motivator!

Jus as an example - I sat down with a friend recently, we were keen to cook something nice for dinner - a cake, pumpkin, meat, etc. We sat down to relax and on came the TV. After watching a little bit I asked her if she was still interested and I could tell that she had seriously lost her interest, and I had too.
Zio

Re: The Media Is Toxic : Television

AaronNZM wrote:A father does an experiment on living without television. <--The ending was inspiring. I like how he doesn't talk to his kids in a condescending way, as if conversing with another adult.
Nice video. Actually, I am proud to say that I myself do not have cable or any channels for that matter of fact. It's been a very long while since I haven't been subjected to bombarded commercials. I can't really say much about my purchasing power, since I only buy what is really really necessary for me. However, it does a great deal for not wasting time, that's for sure :D I couldn't resist the temptation of watching more and more TV, so that was my biggest relief. The least I can say is that I can well live without any TV channels. In fact, I can see myself in the future not touching a remote control ever again.

Now, if I can only do that with video games... :D

Commercials are evil, EVIL!! :D
joao vieira

basically we have built and directly contributed by purchase to a multitude of gadgets just to divert attention from ourselves and its growing, todays fashion is superheroes movies!!

Its becoming more and more deviated from reality.

New member in hes first posts! hope ill make some friends.

I have to admit i like Futurama although that future isnt really exciting, theres still traffic!!!!!! :D
Zio

Heh, I like this forum because every time I see my own post from years ago, it reminds me that I have grown so much.

One of my professor was actually talking about the effect of television. He said that TV is an activity that calms us, but doesn't fill our sense of flow (see Csziksentmihalyi's 1993 research) because it takes no skills to do. We get attracted to the TV because our mind is in a state of "chaos" and needs to be restructured, which TV does perfectly. However, it is a very artificial way of structuring our mind, which will always leave us more hungry for more TV. Also, turning off the TV acts as a negative reinforcement.

We get a sense of flow when an activity is relatively challenging AND we have the appropriate skills to do it. Reading a good book is as calming as watching TV, but it is a challenge that will take skills to do, so it does fill our sense of flow. Many other activities activate "flow", especially the activities that satisfy who you are.

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that you have to throw your TV away. It will only become a problem if it eats into other essential activities (academic, work, inter-relationships, etc.) and when you have withdrawal symptoms because of a lack of TV.
avelino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK2Yoz8M8uw ...here is a clip i found that explains a little about the history of this type of mind control dating back even to ancient greece. "predictive programming" is another name for it. It becomes apparent what television's main purpose is when you realize TV shows are also called "programs." This type of control is not limited to TV but is also used in music, movies, magazines/books, and the internet as well. Our media is indeed one of the major problems on Earth.