Interesting talk with a sect

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ET-1

Re: Interesting talk with a sect

shezmear,

Thanks. I wonder if there exists some links to show the strength of peoples beliefs in a positive way and to focus on cultivating and directing what be going in an inspiring enriching way. imagine being a consultant to these people directing them towards cultivating the good things in their beliefs and ways, what would the video look like.

When I hear that unless one embraces Christ's way one be lost, I think of how unless one knows the truth, one be ignorant. The idea of either you embrace the right way or you will have the wrong seems quite logical and rational to me. I notice many insist that what they believe to be happens to be. When I point how do you actually know that what you believe to be happens to be and isn't some delusion steaming from what you believe, isn't some reality steaming from what you believe, I rarely get actual explanations, usually its a more stern insistence on the lines that it is because it is. Maybe we can focus this thread into ways to dialogue with' those in a sect' to open them up to explore and dialogue about 'other' right ways.

cheers et
ET-1

I have watched the links... and observed the manipulation, hate, shame, fear that is being cultivated and taking place in the name of good... while also seeing some possible good underlying lessons... I sense that if we where to dialogue Jujutsu style and 'invite' them to direct, love, pride, courage they would be forced into accepting the invitation and change their ways. As someone reminded me, the cognitive dissonance would become an eventual incentive towards embracing the change. Kind of like inviting and forcing the true relativists into accepting the absolute truth. As I mentioned in my previous post would like us to explore and focus on the ways to effectively dialogue and cultivate better practices in such challenging situations.

cheers et
ET-1

Quick 'final' note... Seems to me that this thread just sort of ended with each maintaining what they believe rather unaltered... quite similar to how many a talk with a sect member ends.

On Wed May 11, Rijzerlo posted a gem to consider: In essence... make them wonder!

In retrospect I should had followed Rijzerlo advice...
- trigger them to think for themselves instead of forcing and dragging them towards the conclusion.
- Remember to try and stay positive throughout this entire path, when negative about something someone else believes in, that person will close him or herself of from you for sure.

Would like to read closures and insights each got from this whole thread.

cheers et