Disaster Necessary?

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Meedan

There's definitely no reason to be scared, I don't think anyone here is scared. It's not a big thing for us, since we don't pollute the planet as much as the majority do. As long as we are doing everything we are aware of that we can do to avoid polluting the planet. Most others, however, may go on to pollute other planets in subsequent lives, if they don't change their mindstate to one that cares about the planet, in a way that can survive memory loss.

This problem is not to do with 'saving Earth'. This problem is all about some of the most important things in the universe, minds and attitudes.
With Love
Kestrel

Lachie wrote:I don't know guys... i just don't know.

I still have a sense of fatalism, of indifference. I'm not scared. Can someone tell me why this is a big thing? Won't we be born on another planet, just like always, but this time prematurely?

Lachie
Perhaps not at all. Perhaps some of us choose to come to see a specific event. Give ourselfs time to prepair for it, so we can understand enough that we can appreciate it ?
Vesko

Each that did not do his due to arrest the pollution would suffer even on the new planet -- we certainly can't escape the effects of karma anywhere.

I have a driving license since year 2000, but I don't have a car, and only occasionally use my fathers', which is a 25 year old Skoda in excellent condition :). He doesn't use/need a car much, since he goes to work by bus provided by his employer, and there is also public transportation here. Nevertheless, he's set to buy something more modern in the near future but is thinking twice and thrice, because new cars are very expensive, and even if it's not a new but a relatively clean old one, gasoline is a big expense.

In the US/Canada, as a rule people are very much dependent on cars because of the huge distances even in moderate-sized towns.
But from my visit there, I've got this personal impression that architectural planning in these countries has gone awry at places, when city planners were actually designing the distances in view that people are willing to travel far routinely. It seems that in Europe various facilities that people need are much more closely knit together (including here in BG). Do you have similar observations?

Unfortunately, in my country I see a very negative tendency of people overusing automobiles despite the relatively short distances.
There is this tendency to own an automobile "just because." A veritable keeping-up-with-the-Joneses syndrome. I can give you a lot of concrete examples of very young people who do not study and do not have any job, except sitting all day in cafes, smoking cigarettes, drinking and chatting. One would expect that they would not have a car because they could not afford it, but no, they usually have a quite modern one provided them by their (in some cases) hard-working parents, a car that I can't afford at all. For most of the time, such cars sit parked before cafes, with the exception when their owners mindlessly cruise around town in them at high speed and/or loud music cranked. To their owners, those cars are a "great" device to show off before others, including those of the opposite sex.
Public conversations I've heard between young people at my age and younger are inevitably centered around "I'd like to have this car; he has that car, I'd like to have this one." That also explains how they are able to afford expensive cars -- they are subjecting all their life to the possesion of material goods and the car is their first priority because it is movable property that you can show off to a lot of people (in contrast to owning a house which you are not able to move and nobody would believe you how good it is just by your word -- the latter has to do with "seeing is believing", another mental flaw).
Needless to say, it is pretty stressing to live in such a spiritually sterile so-called society, and I simply hate it when I am around a lot of people who are doing few sensible things.

Kestrel Ford (no joke here :)), your first name is William, right? The father of Henry Ford was William (Bill), and his great-grandson had this name, too. Today's CEO is also called Bill Ford. I remember that you are an "inventor" type of person from the personality test that Bomohwkl offered us to do.
All falls into place, doesn't it? :)
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

My last name is not ford however ;)

I unfortunatly feel horrible now. I drive a 01 Ford Focus. It out of my options was one that created the least pollution. Unfortunatly I am getting myself into construction. It means I drive 30 + Miles to work and back. :(

I will be finished in two weeks.

If I were a ford executive then that would be neat. Because if I thoguht the way I think. I'de make better cars, cars that cleaned the air as they went along.

I heard that concept once that they could put things that all the air a car takes in while its traveling along could be purified in a sence.

I hope to create my own place away from "civilization" where I can exsist with out such a device.
Lachie

Anyway guys, don't worry if the earth explodes - it's not the end of the world! hahah! baddum-tish!

I'll be here all week, try the pollo valentino!

Lach
God is a games designer =]
Kestrel

I wonder how the earth relates to the parallel universe. I was under the idea that its "earths parallel universe" also earths physocsphere would that be effected as well?

I wonder if planets like saturan and Jupiter have these features as well ?

Perhaps its a diffrent topic to be discussed though, I just kinda wonderd that I think im going to have to consult the book.
Marcus

I'm getting some very - very strong hints to be rid of my car. In the space of a month there have been 3 major problems with the engine, all of which are out of my budget to fix. This is unusual considering the car has been very carefully looked after.
In the US/Canada, as a rule people are very much dependent on cars because of the huge distances even in moderate-sized towns.
But from my visit there, I've got this personal impression that architectural planning in these countries has gone awry at places, when city planners were actually designing the distances in view that people are willing to travel far routinely. It seems that in Europe various facilities that people need are much more closely knit together (including here in BG). Do you have similar observations?
My observations too. When I lived in England I noticed that everything (facilities/Family) were in close proximity with public transport. I rarely remember going in the car with my family. Here in Australia, roads are much bigger, distances are much further. Major freeways are being constructed at full speed ahead right now. Perth is a very young city and I see it becoming similar to some parts of the US.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Marcus

Public conversations I've heard between young people at my age and younger are inevitably centered around "I'd like to have this car; he has that car, I'd like to have this one." That also explains how they are able to afford expensive cars -- they are subjecting all their life to the possesion of material goods and the car is their first priority because it is movable property that you can show off to a lot of people (in contrast to owning a house which you are not able to move and nobody would believe you how good it is just by your word -- the latter has to do with "seeing is believing", another mental flaw).
Needless to say, it is pretty stressing to live in such a spiritually sterile so-called society, and I simply hate it when I am around a lot of people who are doing few sensible things.
Agree again Vesko. It quite obvious that the above has to happen to some people at a certain stage of their evolution. I went through similar experiences as you described, I have spent 1000's of dollars on cars and car stereo's. Of course in hindsight there was no happiness gained. As you know I will be car-less in a few weeks, this is something I am looking forawrd to as a milestone.

If the young person is smart, he will figure out the futility of buying and showing off stupid cars. This is achieved through first hand experience.

Lachie

bikes

I've decided to get my motorbike license at the end of the year. With petrol prices projected to rise to $3 a litre (in australia - thats 3 times as expensive as they are now) within 5 years, not only is it an insurance against the future, it will be less polluting, more efficient (they cost less to fill up, by an order of magnitude) and many more positives. They are more dangerous, but I'm a big believer in fate, and if it is my time to go, then so I shall proceed across those dark waters :)

I'll keep my car for rainy days and when I want to transport something. It's a 1.5 litre Lancer, so it's very efficient :)

A motorbike is a good compromise between personal mobility (necessary in todays world) and environmental pollution and such concerns. Plus, a good bike will set you back AUS$7000, which is far less than a car :) It's an economic and environmental decision!

If i sound like I"m trying to convince myself, it's cause I am. I'm *** scared :)

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Vesko

Lachie, all motorbikes I know (never drove one) are noisy enough to be harmful. A motorbike seems a no-no. What do you think and do you consider getting a bike instead (much more cheaper) :) ?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

Ask yourself the question: Are you doing EVERYTHING you can do avoid polluting the planet?

I already know the answer: No.

Why? Because of convenience. It is more convenient for us to pollute the environment. Different people have different standards of their own convenience that they feel they must uphold. Most people would accept nothing less than the high level of convenience that is the norm. Some people accept only low levels of convenience and do mainly things that are necessary. It is the difference between convenience and necessity that is important.

So how do you know if you are too obsessed with convenience and you are polluting the environment too much? Who decides what is 'too much'? The best judge is yourself, you are deciding what counts as 'necessary'. If you find yourself pathetically trying to tell yourself that what you're doing is necessary, when you can feel deep down that it isn't, you are not comfortable with your current compromise.
With Love
Marcus

I couldn't agree more Meedan.
Last night I had a talk with my partner about getting rid of my car, after about 1/2 an hour she could clearly see the bigger picture in not owning and running a car. One of my main points was similar to your above post about convenience. We just have the car for convenience!