Prophecies, Metaphors and Symbolism (from: 'Why 1987?')

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

bomohwkl wrote:Probably you don't realize that spiritual development (intellectual development) is an individual effort. How can geometrical alignment makes to gain more understanding of the Observable reality of the universe?
Good question. It was only a suggestion of what possible reasons could cause these alignments to be important. I am entertaining an idea, and not taking it to heart mind you! As I said before, I do not believe in "Astrology" or the Zodiac. I simply find the congruences between the Mayan prophecy and the Thiaoouba Prophecy fascinating. I certainly do not wish to believe that the stars dictate my thoughts, or my actions.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -- Aristotle
Last edited by Zark on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

bomohwkl wrote:Thao mentioned about Free-will. Do you think Thiaooubians let their behaviour and character influenced by the movements and positions of the sun, moon, planets and stars. What is the purpose of the universe of conscious control of your consciousness if the movement and position of the moon, sun and planets can influence your character.
I certainly hope not :-). My understanding of the Mayan Calendar (I only know a little about it though) is that unlike the Zodiac it does not dictate your character or subjugate your consciousness in the way you describe. Instead it simply describes human history as a perpetual cycle that is constantly repeated.. a great wheel that is constantly turning. Much like the Tibetan concept I believe.

The following is from pg 138 to 139 :
"...We wanted to save these people from the slavery into which they’d fallen and, worse, from the clutches of evil priests who were a danger to their psyche.
More than a million years earlier, we had saved another group of people from the hands of other dangerous priests, if you recall, and, interestingly, it was in practically the same location. Do you see how history is just a perpetual recommencement?"

Well, here is another the-bookian quote :-). The point here being that the people of Thiaoouba do time events carefully. This comes from the postscript :
I am adding this postscript to my manuscript having completed my writing three years ago. During those three years, I tried unsuccessfully to have it published, until I met Arafura Publishing, who had the courage to publish such an extraordinary, unique story.

It was a difficult time for me, as contrary to my expectations, Thao didn’t leave me any signs. I didn’t have any contact, either telepathic or physical, apart from a strange apparition one day in Cairns, which was no doubt intended to prove that I was still being watched over, but there was no message. I now realise that the delay with the publisher was premeditated. Therefore, through a natural chain of events, Thao then took only two months to bring my book to the attention of the most suitable publisher.

They - Thao and her people - intended it to be that way, because three years ago the world wasn’t ready to receive the message, whereas now, it is. That may seem strange at first, but not to me. Knowing them as I do, I know that they are capable of timing events down to the very second, if they think that they’ll have the best impact a few seconds later.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

Kestrel wrote:Yeah, lets all get drunk because mars and jupiter are so close.

Yes of course we dont need to take responsibility when were drunk either, because obviously the position of the planets.
That just wouldent be to logical would it.
Its a bit like the 'Twinkie Defence' isn't it? :-)
Meedan

I'd just like to echo what bomo said. Thiaoouba Prophecy is not a good title for the book, it certainly wasn't Michel's choice. The book contains NO prophecies, and I shall re-post the definition bomo posted:

prophecy :
Cambridge International English dictionary
a statement that says what is going to happen in the future, especially one which is based on what you believe about a particular matter rather than existing facts

There is no reason to assume that the meticulous timing of the Thiaooubians was anything to do with 'alignments' or other astrology-related matters. They clearly mean timing due to certain events on Earth, for example, events in the cold war.
With Love
Zark

Meedan wrote:...The book contains NO prophecies...
Gosh, I think you are mistaken on that one Meedan ! :shock:

peace, :sunny:
z
Meedan

Why do you think that? I gave you the definition of prophecy that I used. Prophecies are things to be believed in, with no evidence to back it up, you'll find nothing like that in The Book. Believing in and waiting for prophecies to come true is fundamentally against what the Thiaooubians wanted.
With Love
Zark

Meedan wrote:Why do you think that? I gave you the definition of prophecy that I used.
hmmm.. Well, it is a more restricted use of the term than what it means to me. When I think of the word prophecy..I think of any kind of prediction / statement of the future that comes from a spiritual authority. And I suppose that their nature is usually that of a warning.

cheers,
z
Last edited by Zark on Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie

PORK CHOP SANDWICHES

It's a semantic difference, guys. I don't think it matters what your definition of prophecy means - the Book contains helpful hints and suggestions for society in the future that we would be well worth following.

I understand what both you guys are saying - but you're kinda getting into a semantics thing here. See the bigger picture :)

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Kestrel

Indeed, Lachlie.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Zark

Re: PORK CHOP SANDWICHES

Lachie wrote:I understand what both you guys are saying - but you're kinda getting into a semantics thing here. See the bigger picture :)
yeah :roll: and I like your title, but not sure what it means !.. PORK CHOP SANDWICHES ?

cheers :sunny:
z
GreatIntellect

I've noticed that anytime that Thao smiles in the book, it's when Michel acts like a typical Earthling. (And, in so doing, amuses her.) What would that say about the Zodiac question that he asked?
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:23 am Post subject: PORK CHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah... What? :lol:
Vesko

Usefulness of astrology:

Lachie already mentioned that the universe is an equation.
The universe has many properties, and to get a particular output (outcome), you need particular inputs. To know or predict an outcome you need to know or predict the inputs. Can anyone really believe that planetary motions and the planets themselves can provide the inputs necessary to determine the complex outcomes in human life?

I think that is nonsense, and I think that is why Thao smiled -- she was amused by our simplistic thinking. But at the same time, I wouldn't write off all astrologers. Some, unbeknownst to them, may be stimulating a real spiritual ability while working with the useless astrology charts. Not that this is the best way to stimulate the ability, reasoning logically it's far from it, but it is a form of concentration after all, and it may give a result for certain people. Same reason some people find effective Tarot cards, pendulums, candles.

Some more of why I think why Thao smiled instead of replying:

On page 163, in the same chapter, "Coming Back 'Home'", the following exchange between Michel and Thao takes place:
‘What do you think of deliberate abortion?’

‘Is it a natural act?’

‘No, of course not.’

‘Then why do you ask - you already know the answer.’
Then on page 167 of the chapter, Thao just smiles to Michel's question
‘Many people believe in the influence of the stars, and follow the signs of the Zodiac. What do you think of that?’
Both questions are of the same type and end in "what do you think of..."?
Thao displays mild annoyance the first time -- "why do you ask", and that's why I think she doesn't reply the second time, but gives a cue with the smile. Based on that and my thoughts I think it becomes clear they likely think astrology has no real value.

Prophecies in the book:

The book does contain prophecies, Meedan, recently you yourself reminded me of something I didn't lend enough importance to. The following sentence
If the Earth disappears, as a result of horrific cataclysms, they assume they will already be dead
is related to the next, which is nothing less than a prophecy:
There, they are making a big mistake, for the source of the coming disasters is the pollution which is growing daily on your planet, and its consequences will be felt very soon - much sooner than you can imagine...

Book title concerns:

Until very recently I also thought since 1998 that "Thiaoouba Prophecy" is the new and final title for the book. Last week I received a copy of "Abduction to the 9th Planet" by Arafura Publishing. It's the latest reprint, from 1999. Here's what the copyright page says:

First published 1993
Reprinted 1994, 1995 (USA).
Reprinted 1997 under the title Thiaoouba Prophecy.
Reprinted 1999 as Abduction to the 9th Planet.
Arafura Publishing.
(c) M.J.P. Desmarquet 1993

I also think that Arafura Publishing do not have any intention to re-release it under the title "Thiaoouba Prophecy" -- see the inscription "Once known as Thiaoouba Prophecy" on the book cover here. I really love the illustration!

Once a century abduction:

If I remember correctly, Michel says so in the audio interviews. But I think he also said that's approximate.

Hope that helps clear up some of the arguments. But I'd like some clarification on the pork chops, too, Lachie.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

:lol:

I wouldn't have forgotten about the main message and whole point of The Book. I am saying that the warning about planetary destruction isn't a prophecy, of the type and definition I have defined here, and the type that accompanies subjects like astrology. The warning is an intelligent prediction based on facts.

If they had given that warning without explaining it or showing why it is a reasonable prediction, then I would call that a 'prophecy'. I realise that the wider, expanded definition of 'prophecy' is used in "Thiaoouba Prophecy" which is exactly why I gave a definition when I used the word.
With Love
Zark

Meedan wrote:(...) I am saying that the warning about planetary destruction isn't a prophecy, of the type and definition I have defined here, and the type that accompanies subjects like astrology. The warning is an intelligent prediction based on facts.
Yes, I think I understand where your line of reasoning Meedan... that the warning is based on observations/etc leading to a logical conclusion, without the use of some kind of precognition.

However we do know that they are able to view the events of our future lives and that they therefore *know* what the future holds - and of course they wish to warn us of what they know. Certainly a prophecy in my lexicon :wink:

=====================
...more semantics :lol:...

Merriam-Webster, prophecy :
1 : an inspired utterance of a prophet
2 : the function or vocation of a prophet; specifically : the inspired declaration of divine will and purpose
3 : a prediction of something to come

WordNet, prophecy
1. prophecy, prognostication, vaticination -- (knowledge of the future (usually said to be obtained from a divine source))
2. prophecy, divination -- (a prediction uttered under divine inspiration)
Meedan

Zark wrote: However we do know that they are able to view the events of our future lives and that they therefore *know* what the future holds - and of course they wish to warn us of what they know. Certainly a prophecy in my lexicon :wink:
The future is not set. There would be no point warning us of something, if it is definitely going to happen in the future. If they do examine the future like that, then it is what is likely to happen if certain other things happen, which is an intelligent prediction based on logic.

I like to have a seperation in meanings for prophecy and prediction, it seems easier to do it that way for me. This is because I have seen so many 'prophecies' telling of 'shifts', new dimensions, end of the world, etc... all based on believing someone, and sometimes based on nothing. :lol:
With Love