The Devil -- Really an Old Egyptian Invention?

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Robanan

That fish translated "мир" as "Peace" the word also means "world", I still like my translation more... :lol:
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Yothu

Today I surfed the Thiaoouba Forum and a word appeared on screen: Gehenna

It is quite interesting what I found:
Question/insight #18: "It is my understanding that the early Hebrews did not have the concepts for Lucifer, satan, hell, angels, devil, and that they learned these things from the Zoroastrians when in captivity in Persia. The Persian god was Ahura-Mazda (Mazda as in light bulbs) the god of light. They had a very advanced religion. When the Hebrews came back to Jerusalem they tried to convey the awfulness of hell, for these terms were not part of the Hebrew language at the time. The worst thing they could think of was the city dump, down the Kidron Valley, it burned continuousy and smelled of sulphur. So they called hell "gehenna", their term for the dump. The other Persian terms came into the Hebrew vocabulary also at that time." (8/28/98)

Response #18:

Gehenna, hell or hellfire. The word is derived from Hebrew ge-hinnom, meaning 'valley of Hinnom,' also known in the ot as 'the valley of the son(s) of Hinnom.' Located west and south of Jerusalem and running into the Kidron Valley at a point opposite the modern village of Silwan, the valley of Hinnom once formed part of the boundary between the tribes of Judah and Benjamin (Josh. 15:8; 18:16; Neh. 11:30). During the monarchical period, it became the site of an infamous high place (called 'Topheth' and derived from an Aramaic word meaning 'fireplace'), where some of the kings of Judah engaged in forbidden religious practices, including human sacrifice by fire (2 Chron. 28:3; 33:6; Jer. 7:31; 32:35). Because of this, Jeremiah spoke of its impending judgment and destruction (Jer. 7:32; 19:6). King Josiah put an end to these practices by destroying and defiling the high place in the valley of Hinnom (2 Kings 23:10). "Probably because of these associations with fiery destruction and judgment, the word 'Gehenna' came to be used metaphorically during the intertestamental period as a designation for hell or eternal damnation. In the nt, the word is used only in this way and never as a geographic place name. As such, Gehenna is to be distinguished from Hades, which is either the abode of all the dead in general (Acts 2:27, 31; Rev. 20:13-14) or the place where the wicked await the final judgment. By contrast, the righteous enter paradise, or a state of bliss, immediately upon death (Luke 16:19-31; 23:43; 2 Cor. 12:3). Jesus warned his disciples of committing sins that would lead to Gehenna (Matt. 5:22, 29-30; 23:33; Mark 9:45; Luke 12:5). In the nt, Gehenna designates the place or state of the final punishment of the wicked. It is variously described as a fiery furnace (Matt. 13:42, 50), an unquenchable fire (Mark 9:43), or an eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41).

So "hell" is just the derivate of a word that describes a valley?
Truly illuminating.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Vesko

Gehenna is a publicly inaccessible forum that we'll use to put various problematic and junk posts before deletion or revision -- when needed. You have detected it while it was being set up.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Yothu

huch, didn't mean to spy on you #-o :oops:

I did not know this word yet and thought you're going to install some kind of new subforum or something.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Vesko

No problem, actually I noticed you after the fact (and that you were actually at the forum index, in a position to see it) but it was too late and the only real solution now is to pray that your Higher Self will erase the memory of it (along with this post). ;).

BTW Christ in the Bible threatens people with the gehenna a lot :!:.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?