Free E-Book on Meditation

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

shezmear

Free E-Book on Meditation

Hi Folks,

This is a free E-book on meditation; I stumbled across whilst poking about the net,

Go to, http://www.meditationexpert.com

Then scroll down till you find,

Free ebook on How to Meditate based on basic Cessation-Contemplation Buddhist Meditation Techniques called Vipassana, although japa, mantra and various other spiritual methods are taught, too

Then click on, Download this Free "How to Meditate" eBook and Send it to Friends, too!,

I’ve given it a speed read and looks to be o.k.

Have fun!
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
TomJansen

Thank you Shezmear, for bringing this good website to my attention.
Some people on this forum are so far with their meditation exercise, I guess they do not need or like any books about it.
But for me I think it's useful.

I practise yoga at home and I follow guided yoga lessons with meditation, and I'm currently starting to meditate at home on my own as well.
Yothu

I'm glad you rose up this topic. See also: Meditation Techniques

I wanted to add that it might be a good idea to post your own meditation techniques if you have been doing them regularly and "studied", respectively observed their "efficiency" of a period of time that gives you the feeling that you have gained some proficiency in this particular way of practising meditation.

This should be a gentle impulse to carry out careful examination of any technique well before passing the word so that people who are about to read the testimonials and experiences with this technique you present gain clear benefit by following your reference.

Shezmear, please tell us something about why you choose this particular technique of meditation! :)
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
shezmear

tomjansen wrote:Thank you Shezmear, for bringing this good website to my attention.
Some people on this forum are so far with their meditation exercise, I guess they do not need or like any books about it.
But for me I think it's useful.

I practice yoga at home and I follow guided yoga lessons with meditation, and I'm currently starting to meditate at home on my own as well.
Hi Tom :) I’m glad you liked the link, I to practice Yoga and Mediation at home, It really helps, I’m glad that you are finding your feet with meditation because it is such a simple yet effective tool.

Hi Yothu:)
Yothu wrote: This should be a gentle impulse to carry out careful examination of any technique well before passing the word so that people who are about to read the testimonials and experiences with this technique you present gain clear benefit by following your reference.

yes I agree, I have done just that with a different technique, I will post it soon...
Yothu wrote:
Shezmear, please tell us something about why you choose this particular technique of meditation!
Well there are a couple of reasons,

Firstly this information was free, and was well written,
Secondly it’s very general and a good easy to read over view of meditation/concentration
Thirdly it covers a lot of different angles to the whole meditation/concentration affair and if you are a beginner it’s not a bad place to start.
Fourthly i posted it because I presume most people active on this forum would use some form of active meditation/concentration and it never hurts to keep your mind open to other bits of information in your relative field.
J.C
Alisima

The idea that you want to become mentally free is an obstruction in itself. Meditation is paradoxial, you do something hoping to attain non-doing. Or you think something to attain non-thinking. But that isn't true meditation.

Meditation is very subtle and difficult to understand. And many people don't. Although many have 'obtained' senerity in there meditation sessions. That senerity soon leaves them as they enter the world again. That is no meditation. Meditation is not bound by time. Meditation isn't sometimes there and at other times not. Meditation is outside time.

What is the point of meditating when you only reach peace for half an hour, or an full hour, depending on how long you meditate?? Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that meditation sessions are futile. No, they bring pause, if only for half an hour. But unless you aquire a permanent state, that is: outside of time, you have not truly meditated.

It is not difficult to be in peace if you are alone in a special place. It is much more difficult to be at peace during hectic situations. What is the point of an half hour peace when the other 47 half hours are inner turmoil again??

All these meditation experts, groups, books, etc. are baloney. It is not easy to see it. But basically where normal people desire fortune, wealth, etc. these people desire 'higher' goals. They don't understand that the desire comes from the same place and is essentially the same desire. An example:
Meditation for Beautiful Skin
One of the most popular results of meditation is that it can clean and transform your skin. It is the premier "wonder drug" for achieving youthfulness and anti-aging results. But there's more than just learning how to meditate because there are nutritional supplements and Asia skin care techniques you can enjoy to eliminate wrinkles, age spots, blemishes, and acne. Here's how to transmute the effects of these substances to their highest octave through various meditation methods. The ebook contains my 20-year knowledge of the best spiritual practice techniques, detox protocols, skin care products, oils, and spiritual practices that will simply glorify and beautify your skin.
Here one desires eternal youth, disguised in meditation. In other words, one is still afraid of death and old-age.
White Fat Cow: How to Change Your Life, Fortune and Destiny Through Merit and Meditation
If you have ever wanted to change your astrological fate and fortune, which is the karmic destiny you've already created from past lives that you will manifest in this life through your "hard efforts," then this manual will teach you how to defy a "capped" fate that turns misfortune into prosperity. Through the 6M method of practical success-achievement combined with eastern meditation techniques, you'll truly become able to manifest a new fortune you didn't already have it store. You'll be able to live a life of prosperity and achievement following the step-by-step 6M path of mantra, method, motivation, measurement, merit and meditation.
Again the same thing. Basic desires disguised by meditation. And now these people believe they are doing great things! They are meditating for prosperity.
The Insider's Guide to the World's Best and Worst Spiritual Paths and Practices
No, you don't want to spin your chi using any yoga meditation methods. No, you don't want to attach to any sort of physical sensations during meditation practice. Yoga meditation techniques that tell you to focus on chakras, kundalini or other aspects of the body or energy usually lead you astray. This information crushes the tumors of the true spiritual path, and tells you how to realize spiritual enlightenment without wasting your time on dead practices, traditions and useless spiritual practice techniques.
Although this one seems to be better, it is just as worse. It still portrays itself as if it can transform you. As if you will be better than what you were.

Meditation is not about becoming better. It is about realising there is no one to be either better or worse. Or, in other words, in a relative world there is no absolute.

But don't listen to me, forget about me. Investigate for yourself. Meditation is something no book can explain because it is conceptless. Instead of buying a book, do meditation for yourself. Let your 'inner guide' guide you. Experiment, that is where experience comes from, from experiments. But don't just give up, watch your thoughts, relentlessly. And if a thoughts comes by like "I can't meditate", or "I am doing it the wrong way", forget these thoughts, you are doing it the good way. These are just thoughts floating by and have nothing to do wih you.
Don't read my signature.
Yothu

Alisima wrote:Investigate for yourself. Meditation is something no book can explain because it is conceptless. Instead of buying a book, do meditation for yourself. Let your 'inner guide' guide you. Experiment, that is where experience comes from, from experiments. But don't just give up, watch your thoughts, relentlessly. And if a thoughts comes by like "I can't meditate", or "I am doing it the wrong way", forget these thoughts, you are doing it the good way. These are just thoughts floating by and have nothing to do wih you.
Let's focus on what Alisima is saying here. I'm no expert, but when reading this I had the impression that Alisima's been the tongue to the spark of wisdom for a moment 8)

Well, in other words, I agree with you.

A girlfriend of mine described "the essence" for me once: "I was studying for hours a day during weeks. At one point I quit and simply sat and did NOTHING. And it was so pleasurable to do NOTHING. Not even think!" (thanks Katrin for this wisdom)
dloheb

great post alisima
shezmear

Yes, I thought the part were he said, “But don't listen to me, forget about me”, then went on to give a whole lot of advice from his all-embracing experience went over well....
J.C
Alisima

shezmear wrote:Yes, I thought the part were he said, “But don't listen to me, forget about me”, then went on to give a whole lot of advice from his all-embracing experience went over well....
If I were to take the other approach I would just say "one can't explain meditation, period." Which is true ofcourse. Just like you can't explain how you ride a bycicle, how a drummer knows when to strike the drum or how you move your hand, you can't explain meditation either. First because there aren't words for it, and second, even if those words where there, you wouldn't understand them (and that is why they aren't there).

If I were to do that I would take a similar approach as Wittgenstein in his masterpiece 'philosophical investigations', that is: "of what one can't speak, thereof one must remain silent". Then I wouldn't have to speak at all, at least not about metaphysical matters. There would be an ugly silence. But I don't think that is much helpful either. (Although it would be if everyone else is doing it. But then again, if we all keep thinking that, no one actually does it...)

But you are right, I completely contradicted myself. I first said, "don't listen", something which you can't obey without disobeying, and then I spitted out more mambo-jambo. But please understand that I only meant it so that you don't place much attention, or rather: power, on what I said. It are only words and everything I say about meditation isn't meditation.
Don't read my signature.
shezmear

cool...
J.C
Yothu

haha 8)

(well, then your post can be deleted by moderators, can't it Alisima ,)
I'm jk.)
legiwei

I don't usually reply but it seems I couldn't resist. And coincidentally it has really something on what Alisma has said that many has agreed upon.

It is basically on what Vesko has linked upon and has been brought upon my attention. If you guys might have notice, Vesko is a great "follower" of Swami Rama and has even provided with a series of link on the "teachings of Swami Rama" and I couldn't help but to say that it kinda concur with what Alisma is saying but Swami Rama goes a little more in detail on what it is more about.

Actually I was only about to try to probably rebring to the attention of all you about the link that Vesko has provided (about Swami Rama) that it has indeed contain tons of unvaluable wisdom about meditation in it.

Personally, the teachings although a brief one (summary) has really deep impact and at times require serious reading but genereally I've really learned tremendously alot about that. I really have to thank Vesko for that link and if I were to say, it's probably better for you guys to refer to that link to understand more about meditation and idea of "how it should be done" than the one above.

I really could see the difference between the approach by both. I first got to know the link above before hand and I don't really fully agree to it but when I found out about the link of Swami Rama, it seems that my whole heart seems to fully agree to what it's trying to say.

Well, that's briefly on my experience and perhaps I must stress that it's totally personal, wouldn't be sure if it could be well related to all of you.

But all in all, I really have to thank Vesko again, first for this site and second of all the links that you've provided to us and brought to my attention.

Moderator note: The exact link referred to is "Meditation lessons (T. T. Swami Rama teachings booklet)" in the "Library, Interviews, Illustrations, Media Releases" forum (a link to download the materials is supplied there).
shezmear

Guys.... I feel the need to say that I only recommended the book as a light read, not the way...
J.C