Eco Village

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus

Eco Village

In Abduction to the Ninth Planet, Michel adds his own thoughts of how communities should be. I had the opportunity to visit such a community in progress, very similar to how Michel described it.

Please see http://www.greenedge.org

Apparently there is many such communities throughout the world.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Vesko

Is this the same as the one you visited in the beginning of year 2003? I think not. It seems nice from the page.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Zark

hi marcus,
that is an interesting site :-) thanks for the link. I am sure many of us here would prefer to live in a more human, community oriented village such as they describe. Taking part in building such a communty would have to be quite exciting.

I amagine that it would also be very fulfilling to be able to make a substantial contribution to the welfare of your community. Unlike todays "modern civilisation" where community no longer seems to exist.

There must be an index of these communities somewhere? Maybe there are some forums focussed on the issues of living in a communal village? If they do exist I would love to chat. I would want to go to a village that had internet access... To be able to talk to other villages and share and learn from their experiences (both social and technological).

with metta,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

btw, although I really liked Michel's ideas about "communalism", I don't like the name. The sound is so similar to "communism" and that is quite a deterrent.

with metta,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Marcus

Is this the same as the one you visited in the beginning of year 2003? I think not. It seems nice from the page.
Vesko, it is the same one I visited. You have a good memory. I was a little turned off of the idea because of living in very close proximity with others. That, and the fact I couldn't get finance :lol:

There must be an index of these communities somewhere? Maybe there are some forums focussed on the issues of living in a communal village? If they do exist I would love to chat. I would want to go to a village that had internet access... To be able to talk to other villages and share and learn from their experiences (both social and technological).
Hi Zark, there are many communities around the world such as the one described. I think the idea arose from North America. This particular village is located fairly high in the hills with very lush fertile flora. Perfect in times of trouble.

The brain child behind it is very intune with nature, seems very level headed and has a genuine desire to change the way communities should be (for the better).
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Kestrel

Zark wrote:btw, although I really liked Michel's ideas about "communalism", I don't like the name. The sound is so similar to "communism" and that is quite a deterrent.

with metta,
z
Well I agree the name has certinly been defiiled however, theres a recgonizable diffrence. Unless one chooses to say that its communism because for one reason or another they don't wish to understand.

Many things have their meaning defiled. The Swastika is one example. Its actaully a symbol of "luck" and goodness. In canada they hit a gold strike (Yeah I realize its just material) they named the town swastika. Pre WW2 Bridges in america have some intresting teracota work on them. Swasticas. Hopi Indians (Native Americans) used the symbol, hmm I guess thats just something that intrigus me. My point is this, sometimes names are defiled however that dosent mean we should just forget their true meaning. Plus Communism and Comunalism are diffrent.
Zark

KesTrel wrote:Plus Communism and Comunalism are diffrent.
Absolutely ! It is just that I know some people will "judge the book by its cover" and be repulsed by something that sounds too similar.

I was trying to find a more friendly word so I plugged community into a thesaurus and got a few words of similar meaning (synonyms):
neighborhood, kinship, unity, cooperation, cooperative spirit, village.

Surprisingly, when I looked up Communism, up came Communalism as a synonym (ie: same meaning), along with Maoism, Collectivism, Leninism, etc.

Words of opposite meaning to "community" (antonym): isolation(ism).
Vesko

I don't think Michel's idea about the communities could warrant our calling it Michaelism or Desmarquetism? :lol: And I'm sure Michel would hate his name being used for that anyway.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

Act first, name later.
Zark

KesTrel wrote:Act first, name later.
Some act first and don't think, others think first and don't act :P .. Neither approach is to be recommended ! (OK, so maybe I have a tendency for the latter flaw.. But I do actually agree, people have to free themselves from the "system" now, not later)
calling it Michaelism or Desmarquetism?
hehehe ... ahhh.. more "ism's" to throw into the barrel, don't we have enough "ism's" as it is ?? :-)

Aren't people wary enough of anything ending in "ism" ? I know you are kidding, but maybe you will agree that people are very keen to label any new "ism" a cult..

a rose by any other name.... peace all :-)
z
Last edited by Zark on Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vesko

:shock: :roll: :lol: Agree!
Zark

KesTrel wrote:Many things have their meaning defiled. The Swastika is one example. Its actaully a symbol of "luck" and goodness. (...) My point is this, sometimes names are defiled however that dosent mean we should just forget their true meaning.
So true.. when I was in Bali I stayed in a room where the wall was covered in Swastikas. That was a bit creepy the first night! Imagine how much more creepy it would be for someone who is Jewish ! The Balinese traditionally follow Hindu beliefs, which is where they get this symbol from.

If I remember correctly, the Nazi Swastika turns in the opposite direction of the original Swastika.

with metta,
z
Zark

hi all !
I found out about an interesting village whilst reading about a supposed time traveller :P (not john titor, this time it was andrew carlssin). Anyway a few posts popped up about the Esoteric adventures of people belonging to a community in Italy called "Damanhur". These people established a community that is quite devoted to open minded spiritual pursuits. I think you all will find their group very interesting as they place their spiritual development first, and their life certainly revolves around the community.. unlike the awful isolationism and materialism of modern society.

* A page with their guiding principles
http://www.damanhur.org/info/html/principles.htm

* Their history
http://www.damanhur.org/info/html/history.htm