Is the self Universal and what is the self?

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

shezmear

Is the self Universal and what is the self?

A friend and I were sitting around and he was tinkering on his guitar, he was playing all sorts of stuff, classical in nature, I noted that when he played chords in a specific order and harmony they were pleasing and created a sense of beauty, I could call his progression "beautiful".

When he played music and he changed his chords and melody I know why he went there because that was the best place to go musically, it made sense to do that.

And the harmonies he plays , all make sense, everything is were it is supposed to be, if you move something a note or chord for example, it does not sound the same and there for does not create the same sense of beauty, why is it that it needs to be that way, for it to have that result?

I asked him why I fell that way?,

His reply was, it is actually the self. The self is the blue print that we receive from the creator,part of the design.

I have not fully understood this notion yet, I can seem to be able grasp a little of it but only through my direct experience.

The like of the music was universal, i did not have to think about it, had he had played different chords with different melody then the result would have been different.

Example, why can’t you just throw any chords with any melody?

Why is it when you do that, it sounds, well, terrible,

Another example, you hear people talk all these different languages, yet they say the same thing, love is love, pain is pain, a broken heart is a broken heart, jealousy is jealousy.

Something else I noted when Michel meet Arki, Arki constructed his message just as we would on earth, even though he spoke a different language and looked odd and was from another planet, I even noted in TP that Thao talked to Michel the same way that one of my school teachers in grade 4 used to talk to me, in “ it`s” manner of teasing and reprimanding him.

what do you guys think?
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Alisima

Re: Is the self Universal and what is the self?

Shezmear wrote:A friend and I were sitting around and he was tinkering on his guitar, he was playing all sorts of stuff, classical in nature, I noted that when he played chords in a specific order and harmony they were pleasing and created a sense of beauty, I could call his progression "beautiful".

When he played music and he changed his chords and melody I know why he went there because that was the best place to go musically, it made sense to do that.

And the harmonies he plays , all make sense, everything is were it is supposed to be, if you move something a note or chord for example, it does not sound the same and there for does not create the same sense of beauty, why is it that it needs to be that way, for it to have that result?

I asked him why I fell that way?,

His reply was, it is actually the self. The self is the blue print that we receive from the creator,part of the design.

I have not fully understood this notion yet, I can seem to be able grasp a little of it but only through my direct experience.

The like of the music was universal, i did not have to think about it, had he had played different chords with different melody then the result would have been different.

Example, why can’t you just throw any chords with any melody?

Why is it when you do that, it sounds, well, terrible,

Another example, you hear people talk all these different languages, yet they say the same thing, love is love, pain is pain, a broken heart is a broken heart, jealousy is jealousy.

Something else I noted when Michel meet Arki, Arki constructed his message just as we would on earth, even though he spoke a different language and looked odd and was from another planet, I even noted in TP that Thao talked to Michel the same way that one of my school teachers in grade 4 used to talk to me, in “ it`s” manner of teasing and reprimanding him.

what do you guys think?
From what I read I see you don't understand much of chords, melody and harmony. It all makes perfectly sense and there is absolutly nothing mysterious about them.
Don't read my signature.
Aisin

Well, Alisima, just a gentle reminder, you don't have to quote the whole message to express your opinion towards it. We know what you're referring to.
Aisin

Shezmear, regarding your paragraph 1-9, yes I've wondered about the same thing. But one thing different is, I would not say the answer is exactly the self, even if the self may be part of / the source of musical inspiration for human, it did not answer your question IMO.

I had some exposure to the theory of classical music when I was small. At that time, it did not really make me wonder that much, I just thought, all right these few groups of chords in such sequence are just the formulae the ancient musicians lay down. But the older I become, the more I wonder why...
http://bioresonant.com/research.html wrote:From our tests it seems that:
1. Near-monochromatic colours seem to have the strongest positive effect on human electro-photonic glow
2. A CHANGE of wavelengths seems to be more effective than any particular wavelength
3. The most effective seem to be certain harmonious multi-wavelength interference patterns that contain near-monochromatic reflectors in a wide range of wavelengths – from near infrared to UV.
4. Interference patterns that match the main meridian (chakra) frequencies along the human body seem to produce the most repeatable, systematic and coherent results.
After I've read this, I couldn't help associating the idea with music, especially point #2 and #3. When we just play a single note and let it resonate, or just repeat the same note many times, it doesn't really create as much pleasure. But when we alternate the musical notes, that is when it starts to sound pleasant to the ear. Similarly with chords.

But then, my question doesn't end there. Why is it that there are 7 musical notes (do re mi fa so la ti) that we use mainly? How did they discover them? Coincidentally, why are there 7 distinct colours in the rainbow? Anybody has any idea?

On a side note, I also wonder what ultrasonic scan does to foetus in the womb.
Shezmear wrote:Another example, you hear people talk all these different languages, yet they say the same thing, love is love, pain is pain, a broken heart is a broken heart, jealousy is jealousy.
I guess emotions and feelings are universal? Just like, if they were to be communicated through telepathy, then language would no longer be a barrier anymore.
Alisima

aisin wrote:But then, my question doesn't end there. Why is it that there are 7 musical notes (do re mi fa so la ti) that we use mainly? How did they discover them? Coincidentally, why are there 7 distinct colours in the rainbow? Anybody has any idea?
I can give you the long version or the short version. And since the long version is way too long, I'll give the short one: buy a music theory book!

As far as the colours in the rainbow, I am not expert on this, but I can tell you it has nothing to do with the 7 notes in a musical scale. (Simply because there are 5 noted scales, 6 noted scales, 8 noted scales, etc... too.)

But wait, what if there were 9 colours?? Wouldn't you ask the same question then?? In fact, it doesn't matter how many colours there are, you simply want to know why... Why 7?? Why 9?? Why 8?? Why why?? Has it ever occured to you that there are simply 7 colours because we have divided them into 7....?!
Don't read my signature.
Lena

even though there are 7 main notes and 7 main colors there are infinite different colors and notes inbetween. I asked my chorus teacher about why we write music the way we do, and he said it can all be explained with mathematics, because different notes have different wave lengths. so I'm guessing the same thing applies to color. when you split white light with a prisim (or rain drops!) it only shows the rainbow.

it's an interesting thing to think about.
anonymousbeing

One note doesn't sound particularly spectaluar. One note that contrasts and also complements the previous note is spectaluar. What makes a good complement, I have no idea. Could we write it mathematically?
ShahKorR

The apparatus we use to feel, hear ,see is our bodies. These are designed to work within a specific parameter which, is the existence of this material reality we currently abide in. Imagine what it must look like to see our physical reality through someone outside it, i would say something like what we saw in the matrix. What am i trying to say?

e.g. we only see a certain amount of light because our system for monitoring light is limited. Same with music, we only hear a certain amounts of octaves per note but i am quite sure there are so many more. Hey remember how much light existed on thiaoouba?
Poor michael almost ceast to exist because the light spectrum they had was so much larger and overpowered little ol Michael's personal pulse.

p.s have you ever thought of how material actually comes into existence? how does frequency waves merge to become the stuff that we touch? Someone said something about it earlier.... ah yes

4. Interference patterns that match the main meridian (chakra) frequencies along the human body seem to produce the most repeatable, systematic and coherent results.
Look into interference patterns, holograms are a good easy one to help.

I look forward to responses, be gentle

Chao
When goodness grows weak,
When evil increases,
I make myself a body.
In every age I come back
To deliver the holy,
To destroy the sin of the sinner,
To establish righteousness.

~ Bhagavad Gita
Alisima

anonymousbeing wrote:One note doesn't sound particularly spectaluar. One note that contrasts and also complements the previous note is spectaluar. What makes a good complement, I have no idea. Could we write it mathematically?
Yes, ofcourse.
Don't read my signature.
survivor

Alisima wrote: From what I read I see you don't understand much of chords, melody and harmony. It all makes perfectly sense and there is absolutly nothing mysterious about them.
Harsh. But I guess a few of us members have replied harshly, before.

Anyway, I do NOT find 'Heavy Metal' harmonious nor do I think it is melody, however, many others around the world would disagree with me. (So, I too perhaps don't understand "much of chords, melody and harmony".)

P.S I cannot read or write music but I have managed to compose 2 songs using basic computer software.
Alisima

survivor wrote:Anyway, I do NOT find 'Heavy Metal' harmonious nor do I think it is melody, however, many others around the world would disagree with me. (So, I too perhaps don't understand "much of chords, melody and harmony".)
Well, that it all great. But truly a waste of time. If you like Heavy Metal, listen to it, if you don't, don't listen...

P.S. this is not being harsh. Don't read it like that. Read it with an open mind, not with a closed one.
Don't read my signature.
Lena

I used to love heavy metal, but now it disturbs me. there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" music, only prefrences, because what harmonates with one person may not harmonate with the next.
BlackwaterPower

I did a theoretical equation on what the universal self could be which is an internal factor that is one thing minus the metrics of time, space and distance that means infinity. In other words, the internal factor is the Universal Self which exists internally because nothing can exist outside of infinity correct? So therefore infinity is a factor upon itself, and this factor is one thing minus time, space and distance which metrics give a factor a limited size. So if infinity is one thing, then that one thing does not have a size to it, but as it separates itself within the 'internal factor', it creates 'external factors' which equal the equation of the internal factor plus another factor that still exists within itself. So really the external factors which are us and everything that you see is still the internal factor but with metrics involved. So therefore, we ARE the universe, but at the same time we're not.
Alisima

BlackwaterPower wrote:I did a theoretical equation on what the universal self could be which is an internal factor that is one thing minus the metrics of time, space and distance that means infinity. In other words, the internal factor is the Universal Self which exists internally because nothing can exist outside of infinity correct? So therefore infinity is a factor upon itself, and this factor is one thing minus time, space and distance which metrics give a factor a limited size. So if infinity is one thing, then that one thing does not have a size to it....
Infinity means outside of time, it has nothing to do with space, distance or size. Infinity has no size nor place and infinity is only that which is left when you take away time. What you mean is ubiguity: outside of space. Ubiguity has no size and ubiguity is that which is left when you take away space. But what you suggested was taking away time AND space. However, english has no word for that, for whatever reason.
BlackwaterPower wrote:but as it separates itself within the 'internal factor', it creates 'external factors' which equal the equation of the internal factor plus another factor that still exists within itself. So really the external factors which are us and everything that you see is still the internal factor but with metrics involved. So therefore, we ARE the universe, but at the same time we're not.
First you transcend space and time and now you bring in internal and external factors?? If you truly would transcend space and time internal and external, and before and after would simply become 'here' and 'now'. Every space would then be 'here' and every time would then be 'now'. Yet somehow you come to the conclusion that infinity seperates itself within the interval factor and results in the birth of an external factor, but by then your brainchild no longer transcends space and time.

And then the conclusion: we ARE the universe, but at the same time we're not. Who is the universe when we aren't??
Don't read my signature.
shezmear

Talking about the appreciation of music, I have been involved in music for the last 17 years of my life and there is not question I have a firm grasp of what it is, when I write it, well, I don’t really write it, it writes it self, and this is really my point, very often I am guided by a internal sense of harmony and proportion, I don’t direct it, I listen to what it tells me.

I know when I go to a piano, I will play something and I know the effect the song will have when finished.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/sample ... TF8#disc_1

Listen to song two 2. Orchestral Suite No. 3 In D Major: Air , note how you feel. :listen music:

Some would say that mathematically you can break beauty down to a proportion, from the perspective of appreciation of , example the people that we consider to be beautiful you can actually measure the structure of there face and it performs to a specific proportion called the “golden mean”, myself after playing around with this have found it to be a truth, and I think with music it can be similar, but only to the point of proportion, not the actual sense of beauty, beauty is something that we determine, tom often asks, can you measure beauty?

I often think by only how you feel about it.

Note when you look at aisin’s little flower, is it not beautiful?

I bet that is why it was put there…because of its effect, or ability to inspire a response that is breath taking.

I have found that if you fast for 3 days, flowers, sun sets, ect, actually appear to become more vivid, and in that more breathe taking.

Now you could say that is mathematics, and maybe it is, just that….I`m not really sure..

In relation to heavily metal music, heavy metal music is about the accessing of potent psychic force, not about the experience or search for beauty, it’s more about the indulgence in vulgar displays of aggression, to understand heavy metal music and in that enjoy it you need to be in the same head space as those that wrote it, reckless, frustrated and destructive.

Another example of the self, how do I know, what is right and wrong?

Very often for me, this is feeling based, isn’t it?

You do something and go, hey...I feel good about that or I don’t.

And yes Aisin, I have found emotions and feelings to be universal, putting the physical body aside.

Alisima, in relation to your last line, about (we ARE the universe, but at the same time we're not, Who is the universe when we aren't??,) what I have found is that if the universe is a room and you step out of that room ,the room continues to exist, you are not the room, you are simply in it, we don’t create the universe, it is already created, we can change our experience of it, by ultering our self, but the universe does not change we do.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C