As a Serious Forum, Let Us Bid Farewell to Post Counts!

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

VeskoP

As a Serious Forum, Let Us Bid Farewell to Post Counts!

Hello!

We are a serious forum about a serious subject, so in an effort to attract mature participants and show that quality, not quantity matters, I have done away with all member post counts displayed.

After all, what does the individual amount of posts mean? That the person is more active or better? Surely no, since a person with even a single post can say more truth and useful things than all the posts combined.

I hope you agree and find this a positive development in the order of things.

Best regards,
Vesko
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Alisima

Generally a higher post count DOES mean a more experienced user (whether it only be on certain specific areas). Most of the time the people who can't handle critique, which is something you get on forums, are going to leave the forum quite soon, thus they never get high post counts.

Although I agree that a high post count does not automatically mean something, I do think it is a general indication of endurance. :lol:

Anyway, I shall not whine about not having a post counter, I just wanted to share my opinion.
Don't read my signature.
VeskoP

My opinion is that post counts emphasize quantity regardless of quality, unnecessarily intimidate first time visitors especially, and lend themselves to abuse by a process that is known as "post ***" or "karma ***." By this process, a person starts posting irrelevant stuff guised as relevant as a means to give the impression of greater status, and that is unfortunately a common phenomenon on Internet forums. By not having counters, we discourage such people.
That said, let's bid farewell to one more thing -- the forum "joined at" date. I've removed it for similar reasons.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Alisima

Hmm... well, I don't see any post *** right now, and I dont expect it to come quickly on forums like this. Mainly because I dont see any gratification in it, specially on this forum.

But ofcourse, to prevent is better then to cure.
Don't read my signature.
Kestrel

Great move vesko. Thanks. :D
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Zark

Re: As a Serious Forum, Let Us Bid Farewell to Post Counts!

Vesko Peev wrote:After all, what does the individual amount of posts mean? That the person is more active or better? Surely no, since a person with even a single post can say more truth and useful things than all the posts combined.
I absolutely agree with you Vesko. An excellent idea. 8)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Leventis

Good choice. :) The post count gives a short of rank or more time in the forum.. Consiously or subcosiously we are like ohh this person has to know something.. But in reality as you said might not. I could just say bleh everytime I post just to say somethings to get my rank higher. I totaly agree in your action. :)

I got 100,000,000,000 posts! Yehh I am so smart :p
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
Alisima

Leventis wrote:Consiously or subcosiously we are like ohh this person has to know something..
Then the problem is not with post counts but with YOU thinking you are inferior to someone with a high post count. Although this is nothing personal to you, Leventis, this is just a statement I like to share, I hope you understand what I mean.

One other thing, when you have post counts you can show that someone with a lower post count can tribute more then others with higher post counts.

I even think that a lesson can be learn WITH post counts. :D The lesson that post counts don't matter. Without post counts, a lesson like that cannot be learned. (although it can be learned in other ways.)

Anyway, it is all a matter of choice. It is my choice to post here and, again, disagree with the farewell of our post count. But not, however, as an argument for the revival of our post counts, but rather, to point out that even bad things have there positive sides, and removal of those bad things automatically means the removal of there positive sides.

Salute, I'm going off to sleep.

P.S. Vesko, you may want to remove the "location:" tag displayed on our posts since people might start to worship other members from "better" places. :wink:
Don't read my signature.
Kestrel

Hope that last part was a joke.

No matter our location, except in rare occurances which would be ridiculous and inappropriate to consider at the current time. Each of our locations involves a city, state/prodvidence, nation followed by earth . We are all on earth, thats the key. Sure it may snow here and rain there but no diffrence, earth is earth no advantage is served by diffrence in location.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Leventis

I undestand Alisma's point. I believe he is right on his point. DON'T YOU DARE PUT ME IN YOUR MOUTH AGAIN! j/k :p

I hope the last one was a joke cuz I kind of giggled :)
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
Alisima

Yeah, it was kind of a joke, but also to give you a look from a different perspective.
Don't read my signature.
Robanan

I admire Vesko's Wisdom though I cannot disagree with Alisima about post counts. We have to consider all opinions for the sole aim and purpose of increasing the effect and the impact of the forum as a whole.
I suggest to replace post counts with "Reputation/Integrity" rating of the members done by members of the forum and guests, Like for example: "Robanan" is rated 10/100 by 10 members and 30/100 by 20 guests. We can use some cool Icons and we can expand this rating system to let people rate specific qualities and pereferences of others.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
VeskoP

Awww, Robanan, I don't like the rating idea, either. It can also be inaccurate and intimidate people. Do we really care about personal ratings? It's the info that matters only. Without ratings each person will be able to form his own opinion without having to assume anything to influence this opinion! But I'm only a feeble admin here and if the other admins, e.g. Bastian wants and the rest of the members want, I'll succumb, no problem. Bastian and I did discuss the introduction of a rating system around last week, and we both agreed it's bad. But we can all vote, you know, and we'll be happy to do whatever everyone agrees to as far as this one is concerned.

P.S.
Thank you for the compliment that I'm smert and wies, but no need to cApItAlIzE, because I'm beginning to feel very uneasy... :shaking:
Robanan

agree :oops:
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
VeskoP

Everyone else, if you want, tell us your opinion about counts / rankings -- the admins don't want to give the impression that the current situation is being enforced without a quorum.