Forum reopening

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

VeskoP

Forum reopening

Dear forum members,

If you visited the forum between March 22 and March 26, you may have seen the following page: http://www.goldenplanetforum.com/former_shutdown/

I'd like to clarify that the only reason for taking the forum offline with a big element of surprise, was that I wanted to prevent people, if the forum was to stay down, from starting another forum advertising itself as a successor to "goldenplanetforum" and have the bulk of the information of this forum in it. I knew that some people would do a lot to continue the forum, and I wanted to prevent them, for their own good, as much as I could, because I thought (and still think) our focus should be away from public discussion for the time being, and that if it doesn't happen, the discussion is going to deteriorate. Prior to the shutdown, I hinted it to the rest of the management team to various degrees in the form of discussing the forum future, or a tentative shutdown without a particular date attached to it. I did not reveal my plan, because I learnt that some people from the team would likely be the first who would try to re-create the forum.

Four days later I've obviously changed my mind that a forum shutdown is the best solution -- in the end I saw more good things on the forum than it makes sense to stay hidden.

I will update you more on the future changes. No shutdowns / withholding of info is in store, rest assured about that.

One forum member who has emailed me with feedback thought I had shut it down because I lacked the funds to support it, and offered his help, for which I thank him very much. In fact, the forum web hosting had been already prepaid at a very high quality hosting provider till the end of the year; the address goldenplanetforum.com till August 2007 (you can check that one).

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience caused, I was thinking only for long-term benefit, even if some short term harm was to be inflicted.

I want to discuss more from the feedback I got, but due to time restrictions I will leave that for another time (may take a while, but I will do it eventually). Hopefully I've covered the most important issues.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Frozn

Thanks for coming around Vesko! Public discussion may have its share of problems, yes, but any other medium can as well. I think its a question of discipline, and keeping the confusion and distortion at bay. Glad to see the forums getting another shot. Personally, I've been very busy lately, but intend to lend a hand to a few discussions coming up.
Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. - Gospel of Thomas
Teda

This is great news Vesko, I am looking forward to hearing more about the feedback you recieved from others.

Teda
Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

- Maori proverb
Frozn

Teda wrote:I am looking forward to hearing more about the feedback you recieved from others.
Me too. Not to mention the reason the idea to shut the forum down arose in the first place. I must have been gone longer than I thought. I read the shut down title page for the first time earlier today. Regardless of the motivation to shut it down, I'm glad to see it back up. VeskoP, if I had known the forum was closed, you would have needed an umbrella! :lol:
Please promise me though, If you ever consider closing the forum again, that you will archive the contents.

After having spent all the time carefully posting responses that are geared toward whoever may benefit from it later as much as who I'm speaking to, to lose them to the stroke of a del key would be a tragedy. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling so keep that in mind. At this point, I'm going to go back to discussing the book rather than the forum.

Cheers! :D
Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. - Gospel of Thomas