How to Get a Land or an Island??

Do you want to change our current monetary system? Do you want to be involved in a project to INSPIRE billions of people by providing CONTRAST through EXAMPLIFYING yourself that a prosperous civilisation can be founded based on UNIVERSAL LAWS?

Moderator: Moderators

ptex

Auroville - a worthy project?

Dear friends,

I've been reading with great interest the posts regarding this thread and I believe I found something worth of interest that I'd like to share with you. It's a city called Auroville, located in Southern India, with a distinct autonomy from the rest of India itself and recognized by UNESCO:
In 1966 UNESCO passed a unanimous resolution commending it as a project of importance to the future of humanity, thereby giving their full encouragement.
Do please take a look at their web site http://www.auroville.org/
Although I haven't read everything about it, a colleague of mine has visited it personally, had an interview with the local welcome committee. He told me there's no money there! Honestly I liked this and also the concept behind the city:
The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity – in diversity. Today Auroville is recognised as the first and only internationally endorsed ongoing experiment in human unity and transformation of consciousness, also concerned with - and practically researching into - sustainable living and the future cultural, environmental, social and spiritual needs of mankind.
Interestingly, we don't hear much about this.

All feeback is welcome! :)

With love,

Ptex
Lena

The Mother
While it is not for us to question the ways of spiritual development or the private spiritual practices of any individual, Auroville must not be used as a place for recruiting followers to any spiritual organisation.

Furthermore, Auroville must not be used by any outside movement as a place of convenience for its followers to live.
They sound like a pretty cool place, but their goal doesn't exactly match ours. also, they're not self-sufficient and depend on money donations. and they're right next to the ocean, which doesn't seem to be a very safe place these days and especially in the future.

still, I would like to visit them for a couple months :) thanks for posting that link
bomohwkl

Furthermore, Auroville must not be used by any outside movement as a place of convenience for its followers to live.
Even if we establish a special place for Thiaooubians followers to live without money, it shouldn't be used as a place to live because it is EASY /CONVENIENCE to live. It is expected to have several physical challenges and each of us are required to share/contribute.
ptex

Physical challenges and not only...

Even if we establish a special place for Thiaooubians followers to live without money, it shouldn't be used as a place to live because it is EASY /CONVENIENCE to live. It is expected to have several physical challenges and each of us are required to share/contribute.
Precisely! Meaning that it will be rather difficult to find a place without having to start everything from scratch.
Regarding any place to live, one very important issue we should concentrate our attention on (besides many others) is how is the place governed? I found an interesting quote from the Auroville site (taken from http://www.auroville.org/faq_nutshell.htm):
Organisation - there is no fixed hierarchical structure in the internal organisation of AV (note: AV stands for Auroville). Day to day running of the community is mostly handled by a number of working groups covering areas like afforestation, finance, farms, health, education, entry into AV, and general community coordination, who operate with considerable autonomy. Major community decisions are usually taken at or endorsed by meetings open to all residents, wherein the preferred mode of decision is by consensus. The Residents Assembly (see separate note) selects a body - the Working Committee - from its members to liaise and work with the Governing Board of the AV Foundation, and a second body - the Executive Council - to deal with internal matters.

Ownership - all immovable assets of AV such as land and buildings are owned by the Auroville Foundation. Aurovilians have no right of ownership, only the right to occupy a residence they have constructed in AV - so long as they continue to be 'Aurovilian'. Newcomers are required to wait to the end of their probationary Newcomer period before constructing a residence in AV.
This, of course, is not the just and fair system described by Thao (when describing the organization of the people of Mu), which after much reflection seems indeed as the only possible system.
Still a place like Auroville inspires me! It stands as probably the closest known iniative to the ideal one cited by Thao.

Since we all have distinct missions to achieve in life our personal answer to this and many other issues can be cleared via contact with our Higher Self. That is providing the answer comes. I have experienced that many of the questions I pose remain apparentely unanswered because I probably was not yet be ready for the answer (or the question wasn't relevant). Still we should be alert within the next immediate 3 days after asking the question for any sign or evidence of an answer.
Lena

currently I'm trying to get in contact with the Land Administration of northern australia to talk to them about what we're trying to do and get information on taxing and land available. I think other people should try to get some information like that from other countries as well, like new zealand, south america, usa, europe, ect. so we can finally get land and start building.
Robanan

As ptex said I also think that we will be forced to start everything from scratch, today I was thinking about providing healthcare since this is one of those things that can't happen if we won't have enough expert people in the society who do really care. Otherwise we won't even be able to deal with a single broken finger.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Lena

we could purchase land from Trust For Nature

http://www.tfn.org.au/
strangelove

it will be nice if all of you'll be able to visit auroville. as 'the mother' said: it will be place for learning, researching...'
ptex

Yes, I agree Strangelove!
We have to get some best practices and inspiration out there and we definitely should think about the minimum conditions to get such a project working.
We can take it on a personal basis and do it only for ourselves but I don't see much the purpose in doing this, alone we'll not go far (unless we have a clear purpose of inspiring others to seek the same in a larger scale as Tom seems to be doing).
This is a recurrent topic for me, I intend to dedicate some time considering the several factors involved and how to actually go ahead and do it, not only for myself of course.
At first we'll need the following basic things:
  • - leadership
    - food production
    - health system
    - teaching system (this is paramount)
    - justice system
    - Engineering (for building houses and basic resources)
    the list goes on...
When I come to think about it, what is needed is a country organized in a totally different manner and towards different goals. The examples mentioned in TP totally inspire me, but without a well organized system with a rather large set of competencies and resources how is it possible to actually do it? It seems to me that, with the notable exception of some Islands in the pacific (Vanuatu comes to mind), all countries embraced a more or less westernized way of living (this includes Asian countries as well) and are too dependent upon "globalization" to even ensure their own survival.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
strangelove

community should be able to provide itself with basic needs, such as food, water, el. power etc. all this things they already have here in auroville. other things like computers and vehicles could be imported (traded) form outside in the beginning.

then i agree, there should be some new kind of school, i mean, same thing like primary, middle and high, but more about spiritual things such as concentration practicing, meditation, yoga etc. everything should be simple from very beginning as much as i think. no justice department, no police and no official leadership because as mother said: no one should govern but to organize. and i know thats true since there is so many ideologies like communism and democracy which looked nice on the paper but in practice when people were acting it was and it is still horrible. so, i repeat, no government because one should obey to the universal law. the idea is to be aware of it because if you're not then we're back at the beginning. and if all the people like you and me want to live in place like this then why do we need police, justice... it's all in ourselves and that should be our aim.
sammyooba

I'm not very knowledgable of stuff like this, buf if we get an Island, are we protected by someone else, cause what if for some weird reasons, we get attacked, lol.
Eon

sammyooba wrote:I'm not very knowledgable of stuff like this, buf if we get an Island, are we protected by someone else, cause what if for some weird reasons, we get attacked, lol.
It is actually pretty serious. I can definitely see "rulers" of this system not wanting this kind of project to succeed. And there is a lot they can do about it. Maybe even get all people on the island/land sick by spraying chemtrails. I don't really see what could stop them, unless our friends from "above" intervene.. :)
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
Essene

We also have to think about what the purpose of such a place is.

1) to create an example of a community living together in harmony with each other and the environment with a spiritual purpose which hopefully will help many people who observe what we are doing. Live completely self sufficent

2) survive catastrophes and perhaps repopulate the world with clean ideas

3) both

4) other purposes

I think the more people that joined such a venture the better.

For example if 10 - 20 people all sold up house and pooled the assets not only would they be able to easily afford a few hundred acres of land and RAL kit homes with all modern comforts but would have money to spare. Also after the initial set up period this community in theory should be able to live almost completely self sufficiently and money would not be an issue if we are to be a static community. But I am thinking there would easily be money left over either to put in a bank and use the interest for odd things or do whatever.

We would basically be modelling our community after Tom's example on Mt best, just on a larger scale. I also get the idea that Tom would not mind a few people joining him as he told me I could stay as long as I wanted and I would certainly not mind either joining Tom or buying a close buy property on Mt best.

I also think we could a few more things as well. One idea I have if one the purposes of the community is survival of cataclysms would be an underground bunker equipped with hydroponics and sun light emitting lights hooked up to a generator of sorts. This would ensure a food supply.

Anyway my point is that if there was enough of us we would be able to afford a suitable elevated place on any continent or country.

For some reason I feel a fertile place in Australia is one of the best options.

Although since it is illegal to barter, grow your own fuel, and a few other things Tom told me we would probably meet a lot of resistance but I'm sure if our motives are pure the universe will help us in such a project. Doubtless if the community was large we would get a lot of publicity which would help reach other people.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
sammyooba

Hmm, I'd probably like an island not on the ring of fire, not next to France due to their radiation stuff in the water, or Japan, they have no fish left.

but i was wondering

Are we going to elect a leader based on Wisdom?

And I think we need some material stuff, especially science, as long as it assists in spiritual develpment.

Maybe a school community would be good too, but were not going to have homework I hope :O.

And I hope were all smart enough to not commit crimes, like stealing, or murdering...
brettmtl

Land purchased

This is a great thread.

I recently bought 84 acres of land, to A) revegetate with rainforest and B) provide living space for people.

But now all these issues arise.
Why would people come and do work on my property, when they might see it is as only benefiting me.
I could allow investors in, so that others can benefit financially from their work, but then they might want to do something different with the land.
Who does the jobs, that no one wants to do.

This is only the tip of the iceberg and at the moment the only option I see is for me to draw up a plan and pay and subcontract all work out. Then the whole project costs money and I have to charge or sell something to make it financially feasible.

So the notion of a money free community, seems very difficult, both financially and intellectually.

Many Blessings

Brett