Carbon credits and Apperances

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

Ptah

Carbon credits and Apperances

So far Carbon credit trading would seem like a good thing but when we put the idea under the miroscope it has major flaws.

For instance a company may produce a 100 tons of carbon waste into the air a year. If it produces more it must off set the excess with carbon credits. Say the company produces 110 tons a year, it must off set 10 tons of carbon credits by buying them on the open market. Carbon credits are formed by green energy and land with trees etc... so far im unclear in how they stablish how many acres or hectares produces how many carbon credits? Companys can buy hectares of land filled with forrests to off set their carbon foot print. Anyhow, in practice its a bit like another form of currency. The companies may still produce as much as they like 200 tons etc but they must off set it with carbon credits... what is the value of a carbon credit? market price? There is only so much land on the earth to buy for carbon credit trading, so the cost of raw and native land will go up, but the actual capping of green house gasses isnt! companys may buy and sell carbon credits like brokers..... its a bit of a joke really. I'm sure i havent got all the facts yet, and the new currency is been sorted out by really smart laywers with razzel dazzel wands. But one thing im sure of, this new currency will only aid in the rich getting richer the poor poorer and the earth a little warmer.
Rezo

Re: Carbon credits and Apperances

Yes, I share your skepticism -

How about carbon "taxes?" Or is this the same idea/package going on?

It could be a way to tax people more and polluters will still pollute all the time.

Anyone see this article about blood clots vs air pollution? Little scary...I like this site, lot of good articles there. Anyway - I was just sent that one.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024091.html

http://robincutson.com/carbontax.html [about the carbon tax] - haven't read all of it.