World Cup Thread

A discussion of past and recent world events (from the historical period after Christ, e.g. Renaissance). Let's unlock the lessons from the past events.

Moderator: Moderators

InfoSource

World Cup Thread

Well the world cup of soccer is back after 4 years, it started Friday with Germany beating Costa Rica 4-2

The world cup is probably the biggest event in the world, more so than the summer Olympics, more than a billion people going to watch it from every continent

If any one here is a soccer fan and wants to talk about the world cup, who they’re cheering for, whom they think will win, posting updated scores, etc., they can do so here

I guess the favourite is either Brazil or Germany; I would like to see the United States win it, because it could cause the game to grow here in North America
shezmear

I luv the game of soccer, played a lot when i was a kid, i even wanted to be a famous soccor star when i was a kid, i think brazil is proberly in for a good chance, although an upset is always good, hear in melbourne we just had a friendly match between Australia and Greece, Australia won, suprizingly.
I thousand million people will watch it you say, that is a lot.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
survivor

Aussie Aussie Aussie....

...re:soccer; I'm only interested in Australia, otherwise it's AFL (Australian Football League) for me.

Go Pies! :D
ptex

Soccer is a "national fever" in this country of mine.
Everything around it gathers public opinion like nothing else.
In these last few weeks before the World Cup started media have been keen in polarizing people's attention to the event like no other time in history.
Seeing the commercial profit in this companies from all sectors of the industry launched all sorts of innovative initiatives including Guinness world records sponsored by major banks... in almost every Portuguese house and car there's at least one national flag (including mine: I was offered quite a few of them).

Particularly I fancy a commercial in the form of a cartoon where you see a scientist in his lab trying to study this "national fever" I talked about and in the end... well even his microscope is shouting and dancing... Portugal :lol:

So you know where I stand now 8)

This makes me wonder: can ANYONE imagine how games were like in those distant times of MU for example? Where the purpose was to dignify human beings, promote mental and spiritual development? I confess I have a rather tough time at this because my imagination is quite limited by my current experiences. Could there be any winners in such games???

Curiously I have heard that Aborigines in Australia had a game that would only finish when the teams were even. Do any of our Aussie friends or anyone else know anything about this?

Recently there's a new breed of computer games arriving which are my current reference for worthy games. The pioneer I know of is: http://www.wilddivine.com . Does anyone know of any other such type of games (not necessarily for computers)?

I must tell that the only good reasons I know regarding current games are: promoting physical and mental activity, allowing control under stressful situations, challenging our own limitations, realizing that defeat can be more important than victory :) etc.

Aren't the following factors: love for one another, respect for nature and the universe, spiritual progress, knowledge... the closest terms that could define a worthy game? Isn't this what the game of life is all about? So The Creator is indeed a games designer :) (congratulations for your signature: Lachie).
Lena

I read a buddhist poem (sorry I can't find it right now) saying that it's not good to compete because you end up making yourself feel good by making others feel bad at the same time. something to think about.

that said, my family was rooting for Mexico :) they won 3 to 1 against Iran. yay!
survivor

Australia-3
Japan-1

Game Over!

(Australia kicked 3 goals in the last 8 min of the 2nd half) I can't believe I stayed up late to watch soccer, although the end result was, satisfying.

Brazil-2
Australia-0

Croatia-2
Australia-2
(Australia advances)

Italy-1
Australia-0
(Australia is out of World Cup-the country can resume normal living)
InfoSource

Well the World Cup has wrapped up today with Italy beating France 5-3 on penalty kicks in a 1-1 tie

1st place Italy
2nd place France
3rd place Germany

For all the details on the World Cup with results, scores, award winners, and side issues you can go to Wikipedia's section on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup
Vesko

Zidane most likely wouldn't have missed the penalty kick if he hadn't done the very bad thing and got the totally deserved red card. France could and should have won -- they played better.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Yothu

Yes, France would have deserved it. But then, I remember the dozen fouls against Ronaldo in 1998 where France got the title and so I believe it was fair game sunday.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
survivor

Yothu wrote:Yes, France would have deserved it. But then, I remember the dozen fouls against Ronaldo in 1998 where France got the title and so I believe it was fair game sunday.
Do you remember the 94 world cup? Who died? And why?
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Yothu

No. What happened '94? :shock:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Vesko

By the way, in '94, Bulgaria was 4th.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
survivor

Yothu wrote:No. What happened '94? :shock:
Group Stage: USA: 2-1 :Colombia - June 22, 1994

During the team's next game against the United States on June 22, Andrés Escobar was stretching to cut out a cross but he deflected the ball into his own net. The U.S. went on to win 2-1 and the Colombians were knocked out early despite a 2-0 win over Switzerland.Escobar was gunned down shortly after the team returned home

I'm sure others were killed, But I cannot find info. Soccer has got to be the only sport that is rough off-field, rather than on.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature