Is Marijuana harmful for spirituality?

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

luke88

Is Marijuana harmful for spirituality?

Is Marijuana harmful for someones spirituality?

What about alcohol?

Thanks
pattern

i think the book says it's bad, other books say it's good... so make the decision for yourself... personally I don't think it's good because it's kind of an easy shortcut... and countless life lessons in countless forms have told me shortcuts *** over in the end lol...

Beware of a man of one book. ~ English Proverb

I've never tried it, and im sure it could be enlightening to some people under certain conditions, but my advice is to find another way...

arguments FOR marijuana alcohol etc:

nature gave it to us, so it means we should use it...

arguments AGAINST marijuana alcohol etc:

nature gave us poison, should we use it?

there's always a duality, and im sure balance is the best answer anyone could give you, if you use marijuana for the right reasons, it could be good... even if this book says it isn't, one could argue that the book doesn't cover individual cases, and saw for the masses of earth it was being abused in a bad way blah blah blah...... good luck with this lol
soulrider

Well, I'm sure I'm going to stir things up here with this post...

If it wasn't for pot, I dont think I would have got my act together in this world. Seriously, it's not for everyone and after many years of research, I don't believe it's actually very good for our vibrations and therefor spirit. BUT, it opened my mind, got me away from materialistic and horrible souled people. I've found more spiritually aware poeple in the circles of "pot-heads" than I ever have with "normal" straight people, religious freaks, drunks or full-on junkies.:drunk:

No-one can form an opinion on something unless you've tried it yourself! I'm not saying for one minute that you should try it, nor use it as an advancement to your soul. I've seen friends lose it just from pot, but I've seen friends "grow-up" too. Grog on the other hand is 1000 times worse, yet it's legal??? why? 'cause the gov. can TAX it...

LSD can open minds like nothing else can, but it also rips it appart. Ancient Indians have used pot, opium, datura for centuries to open their spiritual soul, but they're very disciplined in their approach.

Do some seroius research if you're contemplating it mate, but if you can open your mind without it, [which I think you already have] then I don't believe you need to try it at all.

...now you never heard this stuff from me :-#
Always remember you're unique, like everybody else.
Eon

Soulrider.. I'm so down with you on this one. I've completely transformed when I tried weed about 5 years ago. Or something just "awakened" in me, I don't know how to explain this trully. That is not to say there weren't other ways for me to achieve that, mind you. Actually I still get to smoke it once in a while, but in no way I would suggest any mind altering substance as a way for a spiritual growth. Everything one needs for it, already has it in himself.
Though I do think that alcohol is much more dangerous than pot. I've never seen people high on weed do anything remotely close to that kinda crazy stuff I see drunk people do pretty often. But once again, in no way I'm recommending weed here. A lot of people actually can't handle it's effect and become somewhat tense and paranoid. Especially ones I would consider to be "spiritually underdeveloped".

Now to answer the question. I think marijuana can be very harmfull to one's spirituality, particularly when used often and in large doses. I know people who are high on it every time, they can work or some of them even study in that state, and while it is true that weed is not physically addictive, you can still get used to being in that state to the point where you would really miss it while trying to stay sober. If we were meant to be high all the time, we would be born that way, wouldn't we? :) But I'm not that uptight when it comes to smoking it either, I don't think trying it couple of times or even smoking it once in a while would necessarilly harm you. It think it actually depends on how you spend your time while being affected by it. I, for example, listen to the music I love, or try to create it myself. But hey, I'm still young and stupid, maybe I don't understand how terribly wrong I am... If you saw these commercials about how pot funds terrorism, or how two kids smoke it, and one them finds parent's gun and shots the other kid (which is pot's fault, nothing wrong about keeping guns in the house of course, lack of parenting neither) , you may as well be alarmed of dangers of this horrible plant. :lol:

It's easy for everyone to make up rules what everyone should or shouldn't do, but the truth is, everyone needs to go their way. If one is really curious abut trying stuff like that, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it is only "trying". But I think it's wise to keep in mind the dangers of continuous usage of weed too, so you won't get too carried away.
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
Zark

marijuana makes tough clothing and rope. The cloth can be a bit scratchy though.

I know some wonderful people who use or used to use pot. I have tried some years back in my past, however I don't recommend it to others as the risks outweigh the benefits [unless perhaps if you have cancer.. maybe]

There is lots of reputable research out there linking marijuana use with schizophrenia. I personally have seen a severe psychotic episode after a friend took too much marijuana.
Also, whilst in high school a guy I know had a bad paranoia episode on marijuana and thought everyone was trying to kill him.. he had a knife and was trying to protect himself from his imaginary enemies [who were in fact his friends].
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Rezo

I was into pot during my latter part of high-school, my social life back then was atrocious [first read the book in late '97, found the website in '96] - then again some years later and now its been about 3 years since another time [when I had started used it again for a short while also], with no use at all in between [and none anymore now]. I learned/read about the pot/terror connection more recently I think. All in all my use of pot was low-moderate, sporadic use. Then again addicts love to brag about how little it affects them, so its your decision to take my word on my level of past use, or leave it, but I hope you believe me. That part of my life was kind of a roller coaster, of course at some points rather boring also. Whose wasn't though, in some way or another? Keep in mind the idea of 'abuse' means you're doing it frequently and at cost to other potentially fun or stimulating activities, if you open your mind to those; but no one seems to consider it may also involve situationally intensive 'hoarding' if you're sharing with other smokers, of the drug, inhaling more of it, etc. little nuances.

My particular psychological situation had to do with a preponderance to anxiety attacks prior to any drug use, since a younger age, and I was, as a teenager, basically pulled this way with conventional behavior modifying drugs, and that way with pot and even mushrooms once, but that was my choice, not without some peer pressure though, and it was a pretty low dose I was told. The legal ones though were kinda not my choice, but fortunately at low doses as my ['ocd/panic disorder' I find an overused stigma/label now, but thats a separate topic] symptoms were considered mild to low moderate....aaaanyway, occasionally while smoking my body would initiate physical symptoms of anxiety attacks. Some times I could calm down, [@ Zark] other times I couldn't, but I never had any violent intentions associated with that. Did the person you describe, if you can remember, inhale a whole lot of it, or use a contraption?

I can't lie and say I didn't enjoy some of those experiences [the non-panic inducing ones, which were the 'majority'], but then again during those times I was with in a friendly relaxed setting.. I guess it felt nice so we did it, simple as that at the time. Of course sometimes religion, circular reasoning, tv, etc are outside irrational influences - so how do drugs differ in their said damaging effects, if this is true, playing 'devils' advocate? I'd guess probably because they plug in directly to your brain. And why is the brain so important in all this, is what I'm still trying to actually figure out...many may say because we have these chemicals endogenously that it makes it okay, not anyone here, just - Ive heard this lots from those ive known who do nothing but smoke it lots...

But I was skeptical then, and I'm still skeptical now, probably moreso. Originally I wanted to write on this and astral body related things, do some research for some grades, etc in school - now I just research for 'fun'. I have to make it seem like I don't enjoy it but the fact is I do enjoy doing reading-type of research now. A lot. And I prefer a good cup of tea to a beer anyday - incidentally while shopping one time I saw a sweet gale tea at this store called 'lucid dream' which of course was one of its featured claims, but this among other herbs even wild rosemary [thats not the same as the spice in my food is it? naaah] are considered psychotropic apparently by some, as well. You decide [interesting beer history here as well - I dont drink much beer, sometimes still wine though]:

http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles3.htm

the part about poems struck me as unusual....people couldn't write poems before beer [fermentation]??

Anyway, I did find these particular articles, the first by Daniel Pouzzner interesting [an "old" one]. Do a find-search on 'anandamide' in it:

http://www.mega.nu:8080/wavetrain.html
http://www.intheknowzone.com/marijuana/brain.htm

theres probably lots more to talk about regarding 'astral' and what that means. Currently I think that marijuana influences the specific part of the astral body that deals with electronic coherence as a result of emotions and emotional habits. According to TP the nine bodies contain bodies suggesting emotion, which one is about it we don't know, because not all nine bodies were disclosed in the book. I wonder why more was not revealed, after all there are dozens and dozens of other books talking about mental body, emotional body, causal body etc etc to no end...it can get confusing as some definitions contradict or are different than others. Id like a simple explanation of these, that also can be verified somehow.
Robanan

From what I know marijuana is a mild halucinogen. That is dangerous.

Alcohol is not hallucinogenic. But it's addictive.

Both are dangerous. Both are toxic.
Rezo

pretty much, sums it up.

Found some interesting terms also. The greek 'hallucinat' means to go astray in thought.

Hallucinogens tell your brain [re-program] to output altered sense data [not just what you see] - so this interrupts the part of the brain that our consciousness uses to naturally tune in to proper frequencies [senses are naturally designed a certain way, to tune in to the dimension we learn from, and feed back to it [motor actions]].

Gaps in the aura are the most clear example of this [some visual proof of our spiritual nature]. While true once dead the aura is 'white' I bet on the other side its a lot like the one we have here, in other words it shifts over to the astral dimension.

Since I'm recovering from marijuana and alcohol [actually I never drank much alcohol], I'm trying to fix my aura. But I can't really effectively do it [as precisely] if I don't know what has been affected, can I? This is why I want to get a GDV scan. I guess the actual repair is the question I have, what, or who, actually does the repairing, and are there any 'active' ways to assist this, so it doesn't take 'lifetimes'?

As far as understanding astral body, like mentioned elsewhere on the site, I do believe its the small weight lost during dying [not accounted for by other organic changes]. But we still cannot 'measure' its light intensity or distribution. If indeed it radiates physically on a subtle level some can see, surely it can be measured by a device, somehow.
Kestrel

You know, I wouldnt touch the stuff. Smoking it, there are medicinal uses for it. My freind grew up in the Carribean they use it there as medican. He tells me they boil it or something. Said there were fields of it when he was growin up.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Rezo

yes well i do know in chinese herbs 'fire hemp seed' is medicinally used, good fiber source, as well instead of paper, some clothing etc it is good.

My view is focus should be to repair damage, not just to 'wait out' for repair. Otherwise this puts us in the 'wait forever for salvation' category, does it not? At the same time, enacting a 'repair' based on incomplete understanding can also hurt us. So actually there is a lot to explore here.

Basically I am believing what was said regarding drugs in the book is true [belief = guide that is] for those who may not follow, but I'm also guessing that it means there are a lot of things about the soul we still have no clue about.

Certain acupuncture treatments, and Ive experienced a few more powerful ones [once, I had hurt, not fractured - I'm only 30 - my hip by slipping on ice on a very steep hill] can leave one feeling a bit euphoric or distorted sensorially. Which this treatment did, and yes, my hip healed much faster.

If a particular chemical cascade, even inside the body, isn't required, would the associated distortions of sensation from such incomplete or wrong acupuncture treatment, present a risk of doing similar damage as a hallucinogen would [closest example related: prescription drugs, even some over the counter medications can do this]?

as far as astral, Im looking more into what others have found. I will post those on another thread though [probably @ auras thread]. I don't mean to 'clog things up' here its just that I have trouble sometimes with keeping comments to a few lines, I tend to really talk things up.
Matt

What makes up our decisions in daily life? Isn't it our past experiences, memories, knowledge, current mood, etc. that defines our choices? Don't we pick up knowledge, memories, and past experiences ALL the time, no matter how inconsequential the moment is?

If we are under the influence and receiving/learning information from our bodies that is distorted, won't our decisions then become distorted over time even while we are not under the influence anymore?

It seems to me that drugs are like lies to our senses - but even lies can *sometimes* help lead us to discovering a small amount of truth. Any amount of psychoactive drugs is harmful to us, and shouldn't be taken lightly. If you are seeking an answer through mind-opening drugs, make the visit a quick one and scrutinize and be skeptical about what you learned, no matter how powerful the experience that led you to it.

A few years back I went on a drug binge, trying everything I could find. I found myself more open-minded afterward, at the expense of my memory, learning, and language capabilities. For example, I find myself lost in thought often; pouring myself a glass of water, being distracted and walking away, forgetting about the water only to find it sitting on the counter, untouched, a few hours later; even worse, I end up not being able to complete a sentence when speaking - my grammar somewhat jumbled, and constantly searching for words at the tip of my tongue all the time. The worst part of this experience, is that I can recall what I felt like in daily life before I dabbled in drugs and sometimes I can get a glimpse at the burning feelings of peace I used to always have within me. Now, however, I feel as though I have a smoky cloud/haze inside of me instead of a burning fire.

I find myself frequently looking back, wondering who I could have been had I continued with my life rather than putting it on hold with drugs. On the flip side, I do not regret it, even though I feel cheated as I never found any of the answers I sought. Through the experience I learned more about lies and the importance of seeking the truth than I could have in an entire lifetime.
Essene

Well done Matt, in my view as long as people live consciously and are aware of the their own responsibility, choices and consequences then even experimenting with choices that are likely to bad is never a wasted time as one has experienced such things first hand.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Grad Svensson

Re: Is Marijuana harmful for spirituality?

Yes, Marijuana is harmful to spirituality, it's among the drugs warned about in TP.

Long term use will cause the formation of delusional beliefs and paranoia, and it has been linked to schizophrenia, these are all clear signs of spiritual disease.

These signs are obvious to the user but for some reason the user chooses to ignore them, they search for studies and research which proves that it's harmful, and since they can't find any they ignore the obvious damage that is occuring.

Let's be honest, this thread was posted for this very reason. If you have doubts about it to begin with then you already know what the answer is, instinct told you that it is bad and just because you can't find proof that it is, doesn't mean that it isn't. Stop searching for other people to tell you what you already know!
Teda

Hi, haven’t read the whole thread but got the general idea what it’s about. Thought I share my thoughts because my children are fast growing up and we just cannot stop them from exploring life naturally, especially sex, drug and alcohol.

What I find with children is that they will find a way to do anything if we try to stop them. No lecturing or *** will ever stop them from following their heart’s desire. If as an adult you want to try them, go for it, find the right friends to do it with, someone who cares about you. I had a friend 13 years ago who really wanted to try it but only with me. She just wanted to understand what it does to her mind as she heard all sort of *** from other people. A friend gave me a joint to share it with her. She was thrilled and fascinated with the experience and was fully aware of what it was doing to her. One joint was enough and she never asked for it again. What harm is that going to do to her? Nothing. She was happy and satisfied, and that was all she needed. So if you want to try it and you have no mental sickness in your family, go for it. Listen to your heart.

I apologise in advance, if you feel that I’m not promoting love and health here, I am.

I hope my children will never want to try drugs but if they’re interested to try it, I’m not going to divert them from it purposely. If it becomes a big problem, then I’ll worry about it.

Love and peace
Teda
Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

- Maori proverb
Robanan

Well Teda what you say does makes sense, to me at least.

Once I felt a real bliss in my life I was 12, I called it love. Then among some friends I tried Marijuana, I was 21, what I felt when I first experienced the effect of the drug back then, was sadness. Under the effect of the drug I felt saddened because I was seeing my other friends enjoying themselves with the effect marijuana had on them, I was like laughing even though I was aware that I was saying things with all the pity I could hold in me, I couldn't stop the laughing, and saying "you don't know what you are doing, you are ***, this is in no way comparable to how love feels". We still kept friends after that, but I never asked for another joint nor I was ever proposed to have a joint with them again.

Now that I've read TP and TFOC I can also confirm that hallucinogens, even mild ones such as marijuana have devastating effects on the inner sound, what I remember was the inner sound turned into crackling as if like a fire burning inside my head, awful feeling if you ask me, all senses were going crazy and just looking around me felt like as if I'm watching a movie, one of the guys asked me what do I see, and I said "none of what I see is real" [here's the dangerous part], I even proposed to "let's delete it all", showing clearly how out of my mind I was.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.