Is Marijuana harmful for spirituality?

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt

Re: Is Marijuana harmful for spirituality?

Zark wrote: "The increased risk applies to people who inherit variants of a gene named COMT and who smoked cannabis as teenagers. About a quarter of the population have this genetic make-up and up to 15 per cent of the group are likely to develop psychotic conditions if exposed to the drug early in life. Neither the drug nor the gene raises the risk of psychosis by itself."
quote from: http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention ... drugs.html

"Results indicated that the hippocampus of marijuana users was 12 percent smaller, and that the amygdala of marijuana users was 7.1 percent smaller than among nonusers. Cannabis use also was associated with sub-threshold symptoms of psychotic disorders. "
Quote from: http://addictionrecoverybasics.com/2008 ... h-summary/
The problem with these studies is that they fail to explore all possibilities... Did you know that close to 80-90% of all schizophrenics attempt to self-medicate themselves with cigarettes and marijuanna? Perhaps, instead, schizophrenics are more prone and open to using drugs.

It's also interesting to note that Ayahuasca, the most hallucinogenic and powerful drug on this planet, is well-documented in curing everything from chronic depression to cocaine addiction to even malignant cancers. No one knows how it works these miracles, but after even just one ingestion most people walk away with their lives permanently changed - and oddly enough, always for the better. It makes more sense when you understand what the drug actually consists of... Ayahuasca is a combination of the chemicals harmaline and 5-MeO-DMT, both of which are naturally released from the pineal gland into the bloodstream upon physical death. In a sense, Ayahuasca allows you to have a Near-Death Experience without actually being in physical danger of dying. 5-MeO-DMT is a very powerful hallucinogen by nature, so is it truly harmful when you read a story such as this?
baaight

Don't think DMT, LSD, mushrooms, mescalin or most other psychedelics are all that harmful. I even think marijuana has great benefits for growing. My first mushroom experience has been the reason i started exploring the spiritual part of me in the first place. Marijuana has helped me meet my 'higher self' many times. I'll tell you, a good DMT or Peyote trip is probably the most intense, beautiful, spiritual, healing experience an average person can have in his life. But it's easy to judge entheogens if you never experienced them yourself.
shezmear

Avoid drugs like the plague, and I’ve done a few. The store as real experiences but they aren’t. Unfortunately the social climate makes drugs very normal, so children will be exposed to them. But anyone that I have known that has done drugs for a long time pays a price. Also I’m not saying that one needs to live like a puritan because it is hard to learn anything when you are fenced in. I searched before drugs and I search after them, there is nothing there. And if you really want to get high you can do it through fasting, exercise, mediation ect, and the best part is there is no come down, no crashing down of reality, only a moving closer to a more greater sense of being. Which is yours to keep forever!
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
ptex

Great post Shez!!!!!
Very well said indeed :applause:
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
shezmear

:lol: ...yeah...Look I’m having a mid life crisis at the moment and have a bit of time on my hands thought it could not hurt….
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Rezo

heres an interesting forum post i found while researching HAARP ... apparently has to do with how marijuana alters short and long term / goal oriented memory in various parts of the brain, including the hippocampus [earlier there are several mentions on how hippocampus and amygdala are shrunk or i call it 'dehydrated']:

I will simply quote as the site has its own banners, etc and I do *not* want to promote anything like whats on there...here it is:

"'Marijuana use and HAARP mind control'
I was listening to a conversation today involving marijuana use and HAARP. The discussion revolved around how marijuana users would be more susceptible to mind control, using HARRP frequencies.Marijuana remarkably reduced the theta (four to 12 hertz) and fast ripple (100 to 200 hertz) brain waves, with a minimal reduction on gamma (30 to 80 hertz) waves. Theta and gamma oscillations play a critical role in synthesizing and storing of short-term memories. Fast ripple oscillations may allow such short-term memories to be moved into long-term storage, thus suppression could mean missing memories.
Using a PET scan, marijuana users showed hypoactivity in the left perigenual anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) and the left lateral prefrontal cortex (LPFC) and hyperactivity in the hippocampus bilaterally. Meaning their brain permanently rerouted information to the hippocampus, bypassing the ACC and LPFC. The HAARP frequencies would have an easier job of synthesizing an “awake sleep mode” by not having to go through the ACC and LPFC. This would produce people feeling too fatigued and forgetful to really care much about anything.HAARP transmits a signal in the 2.8 to 10 MHz range. If we look at 2.8 Mhz, this would be 0.0000028 Hz. A big difference. I’m not sure what to believe from these people. Maybe they were all stoned. But then what do I know, I’m just a grill cook at In and Out Burger.

I'm adding these links after the fact."

from http://www.weed-forums.com/showthread.php?t=28511 [initial post].

[below links are same prefix up to pubmed/ [just add the numbers- separate links]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15907305

as to it being part of HAARP motivations, this I have not heard before. anyhow haarp is much weaker compared to lets say, SURA or EISCAT but thats another story...
bobzw13

My opinion, directly formed from the TP site, in the section about drugs, is that anything that gives you an artificial altered level of consciousness is destructive on many levels. I have not experienced what Shezmear is talking about (though I want to), but neither have I ever done any kind of drug that I can think of.
LittleWorm

Both changes your perception. Marijuana can be useful for beginners. It's a hallucinogenic drug. But you should never drink alcohol. You can really do without it. The best way is when you are developing yourself without drugs. Each drug harms your body somehow.
ptex

LittleWorm,
There's no discussion as to how harmful any hallucinogenic drug is.
It's expressly mentioned in TP that Drugs are one of the two things that actually reverse spiritual progress... what's the doubt about this?
This is backed by thousands of scientific data and first hand public testimonials.
Wine, on the other hand, is also responsible for a shift in human perception and consciousness, specially if consumed in excess, but actually excess of any nature is harmful... so best to strive for balance. In case of wine and alcoholic drinks: best to avoid them too even if some pseudo scientific reports say otherwise (like preventing heart attack and so forth).
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
matimati

This is a very interesting topic, Personally I agree with half of you, and disagree aswell. I have been an avid marijuana smoker for several years now, but it wasnt until 3 years ago, that it completely opened a new gate of consciousness for me. Creativity, desire, energy came pulsating through my entire body, my mind opened and beautiful revelations were made. I did however get caught in a viscious circle with this drug, to which i was abusing it too much, where being high became an everyday routine. But when it comes to stopping it for periods at a time, i have absolutely no problem with that. I love the mental clarity it brings me, and personally, my higherself then beams, Meditations come more freely when sober (duh) and just that inner balance is much more prominent and at peace.
I have also had experiences with other drugs to which i can personally say that its been done, and will never be done again. I tried them, experienced them, and read TP... It opened my eyes a lot, i cant say i did not continue a little self exploration with these substances. But in those situations after, once i began feeling guilty that i was partaking in that again, it made the "experience" that much less enjoyable, and for me its been a nice way to end it all.
As far as marijuana is concerned, i do not think it is bad for you, but only when it is moderation. Ofcourse it clouds spiritual development, which is why one would not meditate while high, but comparing to other cultures where cannabis was and had been used for spiritual enlightenment, this all becomes very dual sided..
I guess one just has to find the balance within. Its as simple as that.
Many use alcohol and pharmaceuticals on daily basis'. Looking at the chemical components even in something as simple as aspirin, they are still toxins which we put into our bodies, but theyre looked at differently due to their properties.
The amount of medical research that has been done on cannabis and the results which have come out are truly beautiful. This is a cancer curing hotbed!
Robanan

matimati wrote:it completely opened a new gate of consciousness for me.
A gate of consciousness which only made one post on this forum, how impressive is that!
matimati wrote:Creativity, desire, energy came pulsating through my entire body, my mind opened and beautiful revelations were made.
The only revelation you have made so far is revealing how ignorant you are toward what this forum is about, contrary to your assumptions, being a heavy marijuana smoker is not considered to be an achievement around here, every child can do it. Considering how open this forum is toward spirituality exploring and studying the full range of phenomena, methods, science and philosophy related to it I'm sure you could have shown much more of this creativity and revelations considering the huge amount of energy you claim to have that seems spent and exhausted on a single post, advertising drug use.
matimati wrote:I did however get caught in a viscious circle with this drug, to which i was abusing it too much, where being high became an everyday routine. But when it comes to stopping it for periods at a time, i have absolutely no problem with that.
How comes then that you got "caught" in a viscious cycle if you never had problems stopping? We know Mj is not that addictive when compared with other drugs, what you experienced here was not your body craving for it but your under developed mind aiming to "forget" reality in a manner that you thought to be "safe". How does it feel spending so much time in between the worlds achieving nothing that you can hope to explain?

I bet by now you can successfully confirm that "the source of all resides within the source!" :lol:
matimati wrote:I love the mental clarity it brings me, and personally, my higherself then beams, Meditations come more freely when sober (duh) and just that inner balance is much more prominent and at peace.
Everything that happens in the mind happens as clearly as the sun shines in the sky during the day. To say something else other than yourself brings you mental clarity is like saying you have taken a shower in your house but you got wet from the rain outside. You should be glad your higher-self still beams, without it you will have no hope to recover the capability to think that you have so actively damaged that you can't keep your clarity of mind by yourself. The reason you can meditate easily now is because you have thrown the water out with the baby. You're back to square 1 mate.
matimati wrote:As far as marijuana is concerned, i do not think it is bad for you, but only when it is moderation. Ofcourse it clouds spiritual development, which is why one would not meditate while high, but comparing to other cultures where cannabis was and had been used for spiritual enlightenment, this all becomes very dual sided..
You can't meditate while high, for the same reason you can't feel love while high. Those people saying they can still feel love when high lie trough their teeth. Your whole way of even perceiving thoughts become distorted, let alone experiencing sophisticated feelings such as love that happen only when the perfect conditions for it are in place. Everything gets replaced by the state of "high", which is also a relatively disgusting feeling when compared with feelings such as love or even the simple satisfaction of being happy for any random reason.

The cultures using drugs disintegrated into nothing, leaving no notable legacy behind.
matimati wrote:I guess one just has to find the balance within. Its as simple as that.
Many use alcohol and pharmaceuticals on daily basis'. Looking at the chemical components even in something as simple as aspirin, they are still toxins which we put into our bodies, but theyre looked at differently due to their properties.
The amount of medical research that has been done on cannabis and the results which have come out are truly beautiful. This is a cancer curing hotbed!
Can you make two sentences that don't contradict each other? We should aim for balance right? Cannabis when administered in a proper way to actually cure cancer is a good medicine, that doesn't make smoking it to be okay in any way or form, it affects the psyche and makes it a dangerous mind altering substance when smoked. Medics should look for way to administer it properly without causing the mind altering effects.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Rezo

if drugs are continually promoted in society as they are, and people are lead through advertisement and misinformation, to question the integrity and ability of ones own natural living machine interface, called their brain; and mental internet hub called 'soul'... by the time one needs to decide, and its not a small decision though it might seem so due to social environment - one might not know how to make an informed decision they can be sure of. But we also always have what we do, of our free will, and, like a muscle, needs to be used.

some brain research is posted here on some of this but a good indicator it is not in any persons interest, is look back into the past during increased use, or during times one may have been in noisy or materialistic environment, did it enhance life? did it inspire? or merely occupy it with dreamy concepts and empty wishes while being entertaining, and placing the mind in a zone where it has no normal 'reality feedback' ? only to leave one feeling ''drained'' or confused even, afterward?

When looking at 'gurus' like mckenna, leary, 'zoe 7' or, anyone who promote mushrooms, cactuses, datura, pot, ayahuasca, all of these and others - alter perception to bypass free will. there are stories of brain damage from certain 'jungle brews' as well. A good question to ask about these so-called gurus is, do they really know what they're talking about? or are they just 'blowing smoke' ?? who were/are they 'really' working / being used for promoting? and did/do they jump to too much of a conclusion towards embracing psychedelics 'just because' its rebellious? The physical body has an energy field around it, and i can not be convinced that hallucinogens will enhance its function...

cancer: the great thing about that is, so many ways. i will divest from non-psychoactive hemp products [all smoking produces hydrocarbons!!!] in this thread, so as not to confuse. but it is possible. however there are many other effective means, and ozone, dichloroacetate, laetrile, injected sodium bicarbonate, or hydrogen peroxide, are other methods ive researched that in my general opinion [im not an expert on this, important] are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLyDsmndrk

drugs are not needed, we underestimate what our minds are capable of. We all at one point or another, want to escape difficult life conditions or situations; whether created by systems, or by poor choices difficult to reverse, misdirected curiosity from peer pressure, or impatience - just like with conventional drugs and with alcohol and coffee - theres an entire culture that WORSHIPS coffee!! Animal instinct is what ends up getting amplified..

Listening to our body, and that 'silent advice' that says 'idk, this doesn't feel right...' *before*, rather than afterwards... "standing up for yourself" sometimes requires one to question if a particular habit like this, goes against the goals one truly aims for. I think a lot of times people don't want to do them, but are convinced into it, figuring nobody was harmed so, its okay to goof off with it. . .
Sandman

Very well said Rezo!
I emphasize "drugs are not needed". Actually we've been warned very clearly about this in the book
Rezo

Sandman, Yes we have been warned; however, real life 'on the ground' as they say, seems to have a way where circumstances make it seem less easy to figure out [at least for some of us] what is the best choice, or at least which choice could have lasting consequences, because of lack of contrast in ones life to be aware of it. This includes if education received created beliefs or did not include important lessons [i.e. showing key principles how we are connected with nature], and values we are raised with socially - if drug-like activities are not carefully considered when push comes to shove, and seen as being not 'terribly serious' by peers in terms of what appears to be harm [i.e. given in to and participating with that activity], it may influence someone who is not sure either way, then if this same one has made such a choice towards drugs regardless, he or she may have a suspicion, but because he or she does not sufficiently understand what he or she may be really getting into ... the dots don't quite get connected. [short story: valuing our intellect vs the blanket group think which trains out critical thought]. the problem at the same time is, of course, whoever does them, *is* making a choice, not to critically weigh the risks of such choice - even if not understanding ramifications, or preceding circumstances.

So it turns out, at least in my opinion, that not only to heed the warning that is in the book, is important, but to understand why; I do not mean to dismiss your notion in any sense, and apologize if ive done so; - it is simply my view that it is key, so people understand why - truly ... then maybe someone will have much less of a problem, or hesitation, to make proper choice, towards taking effort to stay away from these damaging influences [and will not take so much 'effort']. Some people need different description to stimulate necessary analysis in this case, because of the effect of various forms of collectivist thought 'conditioning' artifacts in daily life. one example is, 'you're analyzing too much'...[whereas in other situations though, it could be true, in the case of any major decision, analysis is a natural process, of making an informed decision.].

I think, the more we become self aware through meditation and through how we interact in ordinary situations, the more such value on individual intelligence can be taught and shared with others, and successfully be 'spread,' the less chance street drugs will be sought out.
joao vieira

*** it Rezo I love coffee lol, i replaced sugar for honey, but is there any dangers regarding use of coffee?