Vipassana Meditation

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Aisin

Vipassana Meditation

Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was taught in India more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for universal ills, i.e., an Art of Living.
This is a 'practical' course, I had very good experience with it, better than reading and trying on my own. I'd recommend anyone who's serious about learning meditation to go for it.

http://www.dhamma.org/
http://www.chinese.dhamma.org/ (courses in China are only listed at the Chinese website)

Happy getting to know yourself!
jonansoy

Re: Vipassana Meditation

Hi Aisin,

How is your experience after trying it? It is not easy to implement.
Aisin

I wouldn't say so much on 'after', it's varies individually.

In fact I managed to quieten my mind during the course, and get in touch with myself, mentally & physically. It felt like, I had never known myself any better.

But then sensations and emotions that arose eventually passed away, and replaced by new ones. The effect was experienced there and then, and continues to help me get to know myself afterwards. What I choose to do with the awareness and realization is entirely my freedom.

You're right, meditation is hard work, requiring a lot of effort of facing oneself. If one keeps on evading or escaping from oneself, one will take a long time to discover oneself.

I hope I don't sound too vague by saying this, this is the best summary I can manage at the moment. If I start detailing my experience minute by minute, I might need to write 20 pages.

Jonansoy, have you implemented it yourself?
ptex

Hi Aisin!
Glad to see you :)

At a certain time I also felt a big calling to learn Vipassana but still didn't do it!!
Here it's learned on a 10 day retreat with vote of silence.

I congratulate you on getting through!! It's a very difficult thing for many of us and I know many fail but those who make it experience unparalleled bliss.
I don't have plans to do it as I already practice Yoga and meditation but from what I heard it's simply incredible.

I believe the hard work you mean is the utmost complete honesty, focus and surrendering.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
jonansoy

Aisin wrote:I wouldn't say so much on 'after', it's varies individually.

In fact I managed to quieten my mind during the course, and get in touch with myself, mentally & physically. It felt like, I had never known myself any better.

But then sensations and emotions that arose eventually passed away, and replaced by new ones. The effect was experienced there and then, and continues to help me get to know myself afterwards. What I choose to do with the awareness and realization is entirely my freedom.

You're right, meditation is hard work, requiring a lot of effort of facing oneself. If one keeps on evading or escaping from oneself, one will take a long time to discover oneself.

I hope I don't sound too vague by saying this, this is the best summary I can manage at the moment. If I start detailing my experience minute by minute, I might need to write 20 pages.

Jonansoy, have you implemented it yourself?
No, Aisin, I have not tried it as I don't know the exact method. I fear that I practise wrongly and will affect my mind.
Good to know that you had good experience in it.
Aisin

Hi Ptex! great to hear from you too. I think you & I are referring to the same thing, the course that I attended is also held at a location near you. Yes, I did that 10 days in silence :D

Jonansoy, I had the same worry as you. Which was why I signed up for a course to learn the method under proper guidance. And the teacher never interferes with your mind, just teach you the method. Take a look at the URL i posted, you may find a course held near your location.

I have a feeling some other forum members have also taken this course. I managed to dig up some old posts with the same URL as I had posted, and someone saying they were going to take the course.
shezmear

If one keeps on evading or escaping from oneself, one will take a long time to discover oneself. , yes both favorable and unfavorable aspects of oneself...

I have been wanting to do this program for some time...since 1999, it really helps to get a structure and momentum for such things.Although I have made some head way with mediation I would love to just get 10 days of stillness and see what happens.I`m going to take this post as a little push...
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C