Meditation Techniques

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Alisima

I do not understand in particular why should I aim for becoming sensationless. More disturbing than inducing a state of becoming sensationless, to me, is to aim for and/or induce a state of awarenessless!
I think bomohwkl meant that you should not become sensationless but you should not response to sensations anymore. Let them come and go, but dont response to them.

If i would response to something during meditating (an itch, or a feeling) i start to lose the complete awareness and it doesnt take long before i start thinking again.

So i try to let things be the way they are.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

would you also please explain your motives/ideas for having had aimed for a sensationless/awarenessless state of your mind in particular? I think it's dangerous.
To understand what is meditation (without any thoughts). When you have sensation you have thoughts and you are analyzing your sensation. When the thoughless period is long, your awareness of time seems disappeared and you have nothing to be aware of until strange images projected into the mind (or I would precisely said a virtual reality of unknown world...)

a point in meditative state when one reaches to a point of period that there is nothing to be aware of =awarenessless
Robanan

bomohwkl wrote:a point in meditative state when one reaches to a point of period that there is nothing to be aware of =awarenessless
:sunny: I agree Bomo! :wink:
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Alisima

When there is nothing to be aware of, you still have your awareness. Become aware of your awareness. Become aware that you are aware. Finally, only awareness remains, if not, you have fallen into sleep.
Don't read my signature.
Robanan

Alisima wrote:... if not, you have fallen into sleep
:D hehe!
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Bastian

Meditation -- A stranger in paradise

The author of this book (quoted below) had a Near Death Experience as she was almost killed by a frenzied attack from a mentally-ill lady. At this point the lady is recovering in hospital with many deep stab wounds to her body.

It appears that she has met with her Higher Self, who is trying to help her because of her desperate situation. I am a bit anxious about quoting such a large amount of the text, but am so moved by her story and what is said that I feel I really need to share this..

The bold text is when her 'helper' (H.S.?) is speaking.
pg 116: "My friend - if you would but work on the fissures and wounds within your mind - your body would heal. It is that simple."

pg 120: "I needed to do something to quieten my mind. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. [..] As I held the inbreath, once again the feeling of light-headedness returned. I exhaled very noisily, feeling no need to breath at all. The image of a white-marbled courtyard came into my mind. It was filled with flowerpots, baskets and tubs; tumbling exotic colours and textures filled the canvas of mental image. Intensely bright, warm and so incredibly peaceful. I saw myself sitting on a low wall which surrounded ponds and fountains. I sensed there was someone else sitting with me, but I could not see them.

Welcome home, dear One.

Where am I? What is this? Who are you?

You are always asking so many questions ... endless praying and inquisitive chatter.

Well, yes, I suppose I am ... but it's only because I'm trying to fathom what is going on. It's not every day a virtual stranger sticks a carving knife in your middle and tells you it's in the name of God to save the world!

My friend, you will never find out if you do not wait for a reply.

What do you mean by that?

Your mind, look at it. Chattering, thinking, analysing, puzzling, pondering, debating, comparing, criticising ... non-stop. Thousands of thoughts every day. Negative, repetitive thoughts. Thoughts which mould and produce your reality and earthly experience.

Are you telling me I created this mess with my own mind?

It is not a mess ... it is a perfect lesson. And yes, you did create it.

Well, I don't like what I'm creating ... *** do I stop this mayhem? My life has been unbelievable.

Your life has been necessary. Every last detail of it.

But how do I understand it? How can I learn from it?

The thoughts - watch them! Watch this mind of yours. These wayward, negative, destructive thoughts will start to steady if you would but watch them. That is the start of meditation.

That simple?

Yes, that simple.

Then what?

As you watch, you will become aware of the space between these restless creatures. And, in that space, you will be amazed at what you know.

But between my thoughts there's nothing ... silence?

Exactly! You learn fast.

You speak in riddles.

You think in riddles.

So, I'll watch them.

Yes.

All of them?

For starters, take just one of the most negative, and change it for something wonderful. Something that delights you. Something positive.

OK, I'll start when I'm feeling better.

No! Start right now.

What difference will a few days make in the big scheme of things?

Why wait? What is the attraction of remaining in your self-imposed hell one second longer than necessary, when paradise is only a whisper away.

Please ... whoever you are ... can you answer a few more questions for me?

The image started to cloud, and then fragment.
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching
Valotyo

Great post Bastian :)

As I was reading through this thread one thing kept popping into my mind... which I think the person's HS in that story you posted was getting at.

When we meditate, and this is the best way I can think to explain it from my own experiences... you can say there are two parts to the mind..

There is one part that observes thoughts and there is another part that chooses to get involved in them.

When you go into meditation, try focussing your attention in your brow chakra region about an inch and a half inside your head between your brows. As if you (your consciousness) are focussed in that point. The seat of the soul.

You will see thoughts come up one after the other, just observe them and let them pass. Don't use the part of your mind that becomes involved in those thoughts. In other words don't follow through with the thoughts that come up.
For eg: if you have a thought like "oh I have dishes in the sink that need doing".... to get involved in those thoughts will possibly lead you to thinking about other chores around the house that need doing, and then feelings will come with it, perhaps stressful ones at knowing you still have boring household chores to do. Hence meditation will not come.

When thoughts pop up, take a step back in your mind and just observe them, then let them go. Each time a new thought pops up, recognise it as your restless mind trying to stay restless (because that is what it is used to, and doesn't like change :lol: ) and bring your attention back to that part of your mind as the observer of thought. With practice, the restless part of your mind will "take the hint" so to speak that this is quiet time, and less and less thoughts will throw themselves up to try and grab your attention.

I feel like I have to add though that in my experience, this quiet period doesn't need to be held for too long. It is just enough to acheive it for a few minutes, or even a few seconds once you are used to it.
It is like.... a transitional period, like a switching off from mundance material mind, over to spiritual mind. Concentration and visualisation follow this "switching over" of consciousness. And as some have already shared, the visions which follow can provide us with incredible insight and growth within ourselves.

In all things however it is up to the individual to determine what is right or wrong for him/herself, and whatever works for you is what is right for you. It is great to have a place like this to share individual experiences. As each person can provide insight for another, a new approach or a new idea/method to try. It's wonderful :)

There are many paths to the one. And i wish you all many blessings and much happiness on your journey.
:)
There are no limits on love or acheivement....
anonymousbeing

why meditation in the morning make you feel sleepy? Should it be like that?
anonymousbeing

Interesting...people here must have not meditating regularly.......There is no answer.
Vesko

Anonymousbeing, it shouldn't be like that. Maybe you are too tired before starting meditation?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

anonymousbeing wrote:Interesting...people here must have not meditating regularly.......There is no answer.
Well, I posted an answer. But it got lost in 'bureaucracy'.

The first question is ofcourse: how do you meditate??
Don't read my signature.
anonymousbeing

isn't the purpose of meditation? Rejuvenating from tiredness??
Robanan

anonymousbeing wrote:isn't the purpose of meditation? Rejuvenating from tiredness??
If you are tired or sleepy you will just fall asleep while meditating. When you are meditating you set your "mind" to rest and that's simply what a tired body needs to fall asleep. :) you should consult Alisima on this, he's excellently well informed about the subject.
Vesko

Sleep relieves one type of tiredness, meditation another. Meditation certainly cannot replace sleep totally, or it may be possible but require great knowledge and training, as I've read about such a case.

Alisima, what bureaucracy?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

anonymousbeing wrote:isn't the purpose of meditation? Rejuvenating from tiredness??
That is the same as saying that yoga is for a healthy body. It isn't. The healthy body is an side-effect. (Yoga actually means union, union with the divine.) As Patanjali (founder of yoga) said: "yoga is the cessation of mind."

Same with meditation. It is not meant for as an alternative to caffein. Or any other anti-lethargic drug, natural or not.

Anyways, I can tell you nothing about meditation, if you are not telling me how you meditate. You probably read something or heard something somewhere and now you are practising it, or you have devised your own method. Well, that method... I like to hear it.

I can do nothing of significance unless you tell me what you experience. Or what you think of meditation, or what you wish to accomplish with it.

Do you want to enter the Void?? Do you wish to see Jesus?? Or talk to jellyfish?? Do you wish to experience White Light or go on an Astral Voyage??

It all depends. Ofcourse, out of the above things perhapse 1 qualifies as true meditation. But that doesn't matter. What matters is what you want and what you do.

For instance, you can do Transcendental Meditation (repeating of a Mantra), but that will probably only make your mind dull. Although it will help you to get to sleep, it will not let you experience No-Mind.

There are endless way's of coming to an cessation of mind. Probably over a hunderd if not thousand. You can do it through breath, through imagination, through music. You have to find your own personal thing.

If you don't like to sit in a chair or in an yogic posture with closed eyes. Go outside, into the park. Meditate their, with your eyes open. It doesn't actually matter. In fact, you can meditate while you are walking, while you are eating, while you are taking a poo.

But you have to tell me something, otherwise I cannot help you. (although I can recommend some great books on the subject.)

Osho's - Book of Secrets. In it he talks about 112 meditation exercises. Very recommendable.
Vesko wrote:Alisima, what bureaucracy?
It was a joke. I previously posted a reply, but somehow it got deleted.
Don't read my signature.