Vegetarian: Good or Bad?

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Vegetarian: Good or Bad?

Something that I always wonder whether being a vegan is more healthier than non-vegan.

Are our body designed to eat raw food. Eg raw vegatabeles or and raw meat? The arguement on cooked vegatable is always that you kill the active enzyme in the vegatables. But you can eat raw soya bean. You can get sick. You cook meat because you want to kill the bacteria. The fact industrial meat contains lots of toxic is a fact. But what if we assume that the meat we eat is clean of toxic. Atre our body designed to eat meat?
Just want to hear opinions from other people....

Interesting links about 'flaws' of vegan diet

http://chetday.com/vegmyths.htm
Meedan

Just a quick comment (don't have time to say anything else right now).

Whether eating meat is intended or not, I do think that they were designed to be able to eat meat (choice or necessity).
With Love
Yothu

A friend of mine who works in a hospital told me that our bowel is way "too long" for us to be meat-only-eaters. In fact every piece of meat rots in your body before it is excreted.

My brother has been vegetarian since age nine or ten. He is now 18 years old. I started at age 18 until 21, when he was 13. I never had a healthier time in my life. Not only it is your physical purity that improves but what I enjoyed most was the stable state of being when being veggy. After a year or so I started to feel a real difference. In spring 2003 I started eating meat again and since then I have those emotional ups and downs again that are characteristic for a non-vegan diet.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
bomohwkl

It really is the height of comfort!’ I replied enthusiastically. ‘But there is one thing I haven’t yet seen and that is the kitchen - and you know how important the kitchen is to the French!’

'This way,’ she said, smiling again and taking several steps in another direction. ‘Do you see this transparent drawer? Inside you have various compartments. From left to right: fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, dairy products, vegetables and fruits, and here in the last, we have what you call ‘manna’, which is our bread.’

‘Either you are teasing me or you are making fun of me. All I see in your drawer is red, green, blue, brown and blends of these colours...’

‘What you see are concentrates of the various foods - fish, vegetables etc, of the best quality prepared by excellent cooks using various special methods. When you taste it, you will find all this food excellent and very nourishing.’
Look like Thiaooubians are not vegan. They eat sea food!. Look like they are pesto-lacto-vegetarian. They eat cooked food. So, cooked food is nothing bad. But I rather eat vegetable raws. People said diary product and bread increse mucus formation which is bad. But Thiaooubian said that bread is the very nourishing food. So I wonder what are the special methods that they use to maximize nournishment. Confusing of what food is the best and optimal food..................
Meedan

Remember that they are only pastes, there is nothing which specifically mentioned that they are cooked. Cook can be another word for chef.
With Love
Marcus

I've been a vegetarian now for about a year. I've lost 15 kilos in bodyweight, this is inpart due to the lack of weight training I used to do while eating meat.

I feel healthier for it. The only downfall is sometimes I lack zest and endurance. Other than that, I function really well.

In all honesty, it comes down to choice - I see absolutely nothing wrong with consuming meat if you wish.

I believe our body is designed to eat both fauna and flora. Look at our teeth, they have incisors and grinding types.

I think once or twice a week is fine to eat meat. Not 7 days a week like I used to!

Have you noticed grain fed beef is far more popular now? No steriods or synthetics have been injected or consumed - a little more pricey but far better for you.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
bomohwkl

I think, the word nournishing in important. It should be non-toxic. Very likely our body is designed to eat sea food and vegetables. Not meat from walking animals on the land.

I think pure vegetarian food particularly raw is rejuvenating but cannot maintain for long for optimal health. Rejuvenating because it is a calori restricted diet with full of fibrer to wipe our intestine.

Beef is aweful. Never like the taste of beef.

I think I have come to a conclusion of being lacto-pesto-vegetarian.
It is known that man can sea raw fish such as salmon. Sushi! Alas...our bodies are usually full of toxic from abuse.
Remember that they are only pastes, there is nothing which specifically mentioned that they are cooked
Oh bread needs to be baked!

Look like Thiaooubians are not vegan.
Buy maybe this food was just for Michel?

Sandra
Zark

Anonymous wrote:Buy maybe this food was just for Michel?
Hi Sandra, and welcome to the forum :sunny:.
That is true, they may not eat this kind of food much at all. We can only guess. :wink:

It is reasonable to expect that they would only serve food that they considered acceptable - And so we know that fish, egg and dairy are all acceptable foods to the Thaooubans. We also know that Jesus ate fish and drank grape juice ('young wine' I assume).

Just as any parent or teacher would: they will try and set a good example for us to follow since we are like children. After all, kids tend to mimic the behaviour of those they admire.

It is past midnight and I am so very sleepy right now!
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Kestrel

I am not vegitarian.

However, I certinly think that this would be a good thing to try to be balanced and not neglect plant foods.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao

We also know that Jesus ate fish and drank grape juice
How do we know this? From the Bible?

The Bible also states that Moses led the Hebrews across the Red Sea and that three wise men visited Jesus in the stable. Both of which are untrue.

Sandra
Zark

Anonymous wrote:How do we know this? From the Bible?
Yes from the bible.
Anonymous wrote:The Bible also states that Moses led the Hebrews across the Red Sea and that three wise men visited Jesus in the stable. Both of which are untrue.
As Thao said (if memory serves) the writers in the bible were, on the whole, reporting their experiences sincerely and honestly. Yes, Thao said the account of the three wise men is untrue. But this does not invalidate the experiences related in other books of the new testament. And besides, fish and wine are recurring themes. Jesus didn't just eat the fish, he also helped out with the fishing :-).

Well it isn't exactly a Buddhist thing to do is it? It wasn't long ago that I thought Jesus was taught by Buddhists! You see, I had noticed some interesting correlations between the religions.

OK, I just started another argument.. is Buddhism a religion? :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Lachie

Yes, Buddhism is a religion. I have noticed a LOT of parallels between the two religions and i found it cool that you noticed them too. Things like phrases that the two religions used, ideas, and a lot of wisdom is shared. Its almost like Christianity copied Buddhism... since the Dhammapada was written in 500BC it's possible.

GO BUDDHISM!

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Vesko

In my opinion, the Thiaooubans are not vegetarian, and they may very well eat meat from land animals, too (see below). According to the Bible, Jesus ate meat (lamb), albeit probably only during Passover. There is a Bible food list with clean and unclean foods in the Old Testament – quoted here from an informative article at http://godkind.org/clean-foods.html. Furthermore, as you may know, it is generally thought that Jesus, as described in the New Testament, proclaimed all foods clean by saying that man cannot be defiled because food “does not enter into his heart”, thus doing away with the Old Testament distinction between clean and unclean ones. Yes, Jesus IS right that one’s spirituality cannot be defiled by, say, rotten food – only the body could be harmed that way. (Let’s not start a discussion about hallucinogens here.) But if we reason with solid logic, it would be wrong to conclude that Jesus really rendered the distinction irrelevant. When one carefully reads items from the list below, such as "[This shall be] a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall eat neither fat nor blood." (Leviticus 3:17), one must realize that a distinction is really necessary for both physical and spiritual (holistic) well-being. Try eating only a single type of food – eventually, you’d die because of that; you’d not be defiled spiritually, but you’d die. I maintain that in certain cases, death can be an impediment to spiritual development – valuable material knowledge may be erased and time wasted, i.e. anyone would have to grow to conscious age again to begin effective spiritual development. (Death is significant if Higher Selves have the power to protect against them in certain cases). Again, I think that the Old and New Testaments do not contradict on the food issues.
Now, I’ve saved a good one for last: in the audio interviews, Michel effectively states that man has canine teeth for a reason.
The list:

Leviticus 11:1-47 "Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them,
2 "Speak to the children of Israel, saying, 'These [are] the animals which you may eat among all the animals that [are] on the earth:
3 'Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves [and] chewing the cud -- that you may eat.
4 'Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
5 'the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, [is] unclean to you;
6 'the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, [is] unclean to you;
7 'and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, [is] unclean to you.
8 'Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch. They [are] unclean to you.
9 These you may eat of all that [are] in the water: whatever in the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers -- that you may eat.
10 'But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which [is] in the water, they [are] an abomination to you.
11 'They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination.
12 'Whatever in the water does not have fins or scales -- that [shall be] an abomination to you.
13 And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they [are] an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard,
14 'the kite, and the falcon after its kind;
15 'every raven after its kind,
16 'the ostrich, the short-eared owl, the sea gull, and the hawk after its kind;
17 'the little owl, the fisher owl, and the screech owl;
18 'the white owl, the jackdaw, and the carrion vulture;
19 'the stork, the heron after its kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
20 All flying insects that creep on [all] fours [shall be] an abomination to you.
21 'yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on [all] fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth.
22 'These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grass hopper after its kind.
23 'But all [other] flying insects which have four feet [shall be] an abomination to you.
24 By these you shall become unclean; whoever touches the carcass of any of them shall be unclean until evening;
25 'whoever carries part of the carcass of any of them shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening:
26 '[The carcass] of any animal which divides the foot, but is not cloven-hoofed or does not chew the cud, [is] unclean to you. Everyone who touches it shall be unclean.
27 'And whatever goes on its paws, among all kinds of animals that go on [all] fours, those [are] unclean to you. Whoever touches any such carcass shall be unclean until evening.
28 'Whoever carries [any such] carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening. It [is] unclean to you.
29 These also [shall be] unclean to you among the creeping things that creep on the earth: the mole, the mouse, and the large lizard after its kind;
30 'the gecko, the monitor lizard, the sand reptile, the sand lizard, and the chameleon."
". . .41 And every creeping thing that creeps on the earth [shall be] an abomination. It shall not be eaten.
42 'Whatever crawls on its belly, whatever goes on [all] fours, or whatever has many feet among all creeping things that creep on the earth -- these you shall not eat, for they [are] an abomination.
43 'You shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creeps; nor shall you make yourselves unclean with them, lest you be defiled by them.
44 'For I [am] the LORD your God. You shall therefore consecrate yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I [am] holy. Neither shall you defile yourselves with any creeping thing that creeps on the earth.
45 'For I [am] the LORD who brings you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God. You shall therefore be holy, for I [am] holy.
46 This [is] the law of the animals and the birds and every living creature that moves in the waters, and of every creature that creeps on the earth,
47 'to distinguish between the unclean and the clean, and between the animal that may be eaten and the animal that may not be eaten.' "

Leviticus 7:26 "Moreover you shall not eat any blood in any of your dwellings, [whether] of bird or beast."
Leviticus 3:17 "[This shall be] a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall eat neither fat nor blood."

Sandra, I very much like your doubts about the Bible, but I personally don't think that the above list or the foods in the Bible have been falsified, knowing that Jesus (actually Christ, for we know that they were two different people) was trying to pass as a Jew, and Jews to this day eat what Zark mentioned and also meat -- "Traditional Sabbath foods are braided bread, wine, fish and meat and potato kugel (pudding).", from "Ask the Rabbi" at http://ohr.edu/ask/ask243.htm.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Lachie

How anyone can believe and follow that ridiculous and arbitrary list is beyond me... without even any reason why, they are simply 'unclean'... sorry but i felt like i had to say that.

Lachie
God is a games designer =]