Music that Inspires

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus

Music that Inspires

Music is very powerful in both a positive way and a negative way.

Have you noticed how inspired you become when you listen to your favourite music, in a spiritual sense.
I have noticed Michael Franti/Spearheads music has this effect on me and for some strange reson the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

I would even go as far as to say that the right type of music has a better effect on my consciousness than does my Chakra shirt??

Do you agree?
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
bomohwkl

I think music 'directs' our conscious mind. It changes the state of our conscious mind. I think chakra shirts 'directs' our unconscious and subconscious mind.
It would be interesting to observe the change of GVD signals listening to one's favourite musics. Probably Tom can do the experiment because I dont have accessed of GVD.
Last edited by bomohwkl on Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vesko

Yes, the right music has a very purifying effect on me. More than the chakra shirt :). Unfortunately, I don't stand listening to music when I need full concentration, so the shirt obviously has an application ;).
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

Nothing is beyond our reach. If the people of mu had music that was so great, then its possible that we can create something similar.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Lachie

Its also the vibration of the music that interacts with your souls... Hans Zimmer is especially talented in this manner, he writes music that directly interacts with the listeners emotions - one standout is his recent work on The Thin Red Line, Tears of the Sun and also The Last Samurai. It seems that he has figured out the vibration for "hope" and "despair" and he uses them well within his music.

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Meedan

Lachie wrote:Its also the vibration of the music that interacts with your souls... Hans Zimmer is especially talented in this manner, he writes music that directly interacts with the listeners emotions - one standout is his recent work on The Thin Red Line, Tears of the Sun and also The Last Samurai. It seems that he has figured out the vibration for "hope" and "despair" and he uses them well within his music.

Lachie
Funny that YOU should say this Lachie. It was 'The Thin Red Line' that inspired me to stop playing violent games. Hans Zimmer does it again!
With Love
Yothu

I actually listened much a band called "Dead can Dance", still listen to it. They got a DVD recorded concert called "Dead can dance toward the within", well the album is called "Toward the within". Lisa Gerrard, the front-woman, actually made many soundtracks such as that of "Gladiator", "The Insider", "Whale Rider" and after a 11-year alliance with her partner Brendan Perry she began to go on to solo-albums. An album called "Duality" was originally devoted to the life of Jesus Christ and in the end became - by the influence of Pieter Bourke - still a "spiritual" piece of work but not so strictly interweaved with Jesus Christ's life.
I have many CD's of Dead can Dance, Lisa Gerrard and some OST of hers and still enjoy listening to them. As a matter of fact I discovered her in the very late ninetees, where both had already established a profound career and had recorded many albums.

What I too like is Prodigy, the old stuff. "Firestarter", "Out of Space" and "Voodoo People" are my favorites.

I also listen to Beethoven, Mozart, Turgeniew (ah, that's an author...), Prokoview, Bach, ... I am fond of classical music. I don't like modern classical music, but very much like to listen to classics, directed by Hanoncourt and the like.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
dloheb

I like Kevin Wood. I stumbled on his stuff the other day and really enjoy it. It is hard for me to find this kind of music so I'm glad I have discovered his.
Lena

yes the right music can be very moving. :D my favorite bands are Placebo and The Smiths.

I really love the human voice; it just sounds so beautiful when it's at it's best. I have great respect for anyone who can sing well because it's probably the hardest instument to master (IMHO). I found this lady's page on myspace recently: http://www.myspace.com/lapetitejacqueline she has a lovely voice. :) I suggest you listen to "summertime"
Psi

I have pretty eclectic music tastes. Being an 'old guy' (circa 1963), I tend to enjoy the music of my youth - James Taylor, Harry Chapin, Alan Parsons, Moody Blues, even Jimmy Buffett - songs that generally are easy on the ear, tell stories and often have some nice truisms.

When I'm working (for me that's writing), I prefer to listen to more sedate music. I used to listen to Kitaro and Vangelis and others of a smiliar ilk, but now my favourites are instrumentalists like Ryan Farish and Tony O'Connor from Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104 ... .y=0&Go=Go

O'Connor has produced a dozen or more albums which meld the sounds of nature (everything from whales, birds and animals to bubbling brooks, thunder, rain and waves) with simple instrumental arrangements. As you can imagine, it's great music for relaxation and even contemplation.
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
~ Socrates
shezmear

Alan Parsons is great,I think he produced dark side of the moon,and Vangelis 1492 is wonderful, also his work in blade runner was also very good, I actully have some of Tony`s work, I used to listen to it often.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Psi

shezmear wrote:Alan Parsons is great,I think he produced dark side of the moon ...
Shezmear, bite your tongue!

Pink Floyd produced Dark Side of the Moon. I know I'm "old" but the memory hasn't gone yet.

As for Alan Parsons, you're probably thinking of one of their famous tracks, "Eye in the Sky" - at least it's up there with the moon, I guess.

Either way, AP produced some great lyrics as did Floyd to a lesser degree, however the latter did most of their "best" work high, so I've been told. Ah, those were the seventies, my friends. RIP.
~ Socrates
ptex

Psi wrote:
shezmear wrote:Alan Parsons is great,I think he produced dark side of the moon ...
Shezmear, bite your tongue!

Pink Floyd produced Dark Side of the Moon. I know I'm "old" but the memory hasn't gone yet.
Hey, I'm a great fan of Alan Parsons myself ;)

Alan Parsons was the sound Engineer of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon at Abbey Road Studios (if I recall correctly). Alan Parsons also wrote music for several movies. His album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" was composed for the tales with the same name from Edgar Alan Poe, who happened to write some of his most "creative" stories when under the effect of Opium. Such an example was set a lot earlier than the famous sixties unfortunately. I wish history would never repeat itself here.
Last edited by ptex on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
Psi

Thanks, Ptex. I didn't know about the connection between Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd beyond the fact that they were (are) both British. I was a fan of good ol' Edgar Alan Poe too - he was a tragic, tortured soul who died around 40.

It's interesting if you look at recent history (as in the last 100 years or so) - how dangerous drugs, like opium, cocaine and others, were socially accepted and popular with the so-called intellectuals of the day. I believe Freud liked the occasional snort, for example. And then there's the fact that Coca Cola actually included minute amounts of coke (hence the name, I guess) up until around 1911.

If you want to stretch your mind back to ancient Greece, I recall Homer writing in The Illiad (or was it Oddessy) of the Lotus Eaters, a group of unemployed individuals who used to partake of hallucinogenic plants, then lay on the beach and watch the magical colours unfold in the clouds.

Sound familar?.. Australians have a name for that: the Gold Coast.
~ Socrates
shezmear

yes, I should have said it clearer with PF and AP, in some case`s the sound Engineer play`s a big part in the production of the music, some sound Engineer`s just capture sound, some "advise" the band on concepts, which way to go with the music, in fact the sound Engineer is just as much a part of the band as the bands members are them selves, example U2`s Joshua tree, a big contributor to the album was the sound Engineer , although you would never know it.

I spent much of my studio time battleing with sound Engineer`s, in fact I earned the title from one sound Engineer as "the worse band he ever worked with in 20 years "......I`m not sure how I feel about that...

yes I herd that about coke a cola,

Psi said,

If you want to stretch your mind back to ancient Greece, I recall Homer writing in The Illiad (or was it Oddessy) of the Lotus Eaters, a group of unemployed individuals who used to partake of hallucinogenic plants, then lay on the beach and watch the magical colours unfold in the clouds.

It seems we all have a mispent youth....
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C