Scientists Find Most Earth-Like Planet Yet (2007)

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Kitty

Scientists Find Most Earth-Like Planet Yet (2007)

Interesting stuff. I recently heard about this from a friend. It was all over the news where I live.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/04/2 ... index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/scien ... yt&emc=rss
April 25th/26th 2007
InfoSource

Pretty interesting..

If in the future Earth becomes inhabitable then Gliese 581c may be the destination of a mass relocation of humans from Earth. Right now its too far away (20 light years) with current technology to reach, but maybe in the future we can use quantum phenomenon like Quantum_Entanglement to get us there.

Quantum Entanglement can't be used to send information faster than light right now, but maybe in the future scientist can discover methods so that it can
Rezo

also wed have to know what category planet it is if we ever needed to emigrate, anywhere else [obviously].

yes I heard this report also. i thought it orbited a red dwarf, isnt that a dying sun?
Zio

I heard that news in my class. the news must be 20 years old because the gouvernement just couldn't say those things in public yet. Anyway, Bernard Werber, an author, did wrote a book (a novel, not documentary, because it's just a story) about the possibility of moving millions of people to another planet. It's called Papillon des etoiles (literally: Stars Butterfly). His ideas is giving us an idea of what will happen if hundreds of thousands of people went into space.

Will we be the aliens of that planet? :D Then we will feel what our aliens think of us :P well, not really, because we can't go lower than category 1...
hack5paz

yes I heard this report also. i thought it orbited a red dwarf, isnt that a dying sun?[/quote]

No, a red giant is a dying star. A red dwarf is a small main sequence star that will last for billions of years, far longer than our sun. The hypothisized life of a red dwarf is about 35 billion years while our sun, a yellow dwarf, has an estimated life of about 10 billion years, however it will be to hot for life on earth within 1 billion years. The planet in question only might, i repeat might be habitable. The problems with it are that it is about 1.5 times as large and 2 times as massive as the earth. as such it's gravity is twice that of the earth so it's probably not habitable for humans. The planet is also tidally locked so it's likely that only the mid section of the planet is habitable, though it's been hypothisized that it's atmosphere may distribute the heat around the planet. Also, it's likely that because of it's close proximity to the parent star, it suffers from a runaway greenhouse effect making it's atmosphere much like that of venus, thus making it unlivable. These are all theories of course that are purely speculation as we will never truely know any of this unless we actually go there and see it for ourselves.

Oh and in regards to what the person directly in front of me stated, there is no concrete evidence of the government witholding information for 20. If you have some I'd like to hear it, otherwise it's just heresay
Zio

Ah, do not mind me, and please do not respond to this post because it might be off topic.

Maybe not the government, but the 'Elite'. It goes with what Michel said in an interview: '12 family that rules over this planet' :P and with many other conspiracy theorists (*cough*, when you read conspiracy, do not take it subjectively. It's pretty interesting no matter if you're against or with the author) like Alan Watt. This topic is discussed in other threads. So please don't mind me :P
Robanan

The links need an update, this topic also doesn't seem to have anything related to TP