Tom Chalko under crossfire

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

ptex

Tom Chalko under crossfire

Tom Chalko has significantly updated his theory of Global Warming: Can Earth EXPLODE ? with some new data.

He also seems to have issued a press release in order to put people discussing this theory and as a result I'm observing the theme "Thiaoouba Prophecy" is appearing more and more in blogs and people's opinions and this is a good thing. However in his efforts to raise public consciousness about the danger of global warming, Tom is raising the spotlight towards himself and is finding to be under considerable crossfire from the media and the usual narrow minded scientists who seem too quick to dismiss whatever opinion is contrary to their own or the institutionalized powers they corruptly defend without much serious consideration or validation. Please check the following news: CBSNews.com Pulls Story Making Quake/Climate Link Claim

Glad to see Tom raising the controversy level and provoking people to think. My personal scientific knowledge of Seismology is not enough to scrutinize Tom's claims but we have very good people in this forum who probably can add some worthy insights on this. Don't we?

I look forward to hearing some opinions :-)
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
Essene

Re: Tom Chalko under crossfire

I'm glad to see Tom stirring up the ants nest so to speak. On my part I have not the qualifications or insights to be able to comment on what he says but would take his word for it.

Once again what can Tom have to gain by promoting such ideas, by putting his reputation on the line. His efforts I believe are sincere.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Robanan

Tom's theory can withstand scientific scrutiny if they were to scientifically approach it, if not then tom is a man that would learn from his mistakes and come up with a more solid theory. Discrediting him through baseless ridicule is by no mean fair, while completely out of context of any scientific method of research.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
NJones

Of interest is Chalko's graph:

of greater interest could be this graph:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/other/quakeenergy.gif

taken from this page:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/200 ... blami.html

Just why did Chalko start his graph from 1973?

I used to be a firm believer in GW, but now I am wondering whether it is a just a natural cyclic thing.
Robanan

GW is a natural cycling thing, the point however is that... We are successfully making it much worse on us than it's supposed to be.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Matt

NJones wrote: of greater interest could be this graph:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/other/quakeenergy.gif

Just why did Chalko start his graph from 1973?
While it is pretty suspect of him to cut off the graph at 1973, you can see that the cyclic change of energy released by earth-quakes is MUCH more gradual than from the 1990's and onward. That's not to say that the natural cyclic changes always occur in this manner when entering into a new stage of increased quake-energy, but because we have insufficient data(a whole cycle's worth of data) we can't make that call.

With that in mind, it was pretty unscientific of Dr. Chalko to have released those claims - just as unscientific as skeptical fellow scientists who claimed the 'fault' of his paper was that UGSC data shows that there isn't an increase in number of magnitude-7 quakes, when in Chalko's paper he was measuring the energy output rather than the number of quakes. They're basically beating around the bush, being too lazy to try and disprove his theory because they regard him as a crackpot theorist.
Matt

To elaborate, let's say there was three 7-scale earthquakes in 2000, and three 7-scale earthquakes in 2001. For every 1.0 increase on the Richter Scale, it is a 1000x increase in the amount of energy released. So if the 3 earthquakes in 2000 were 7.0, and the 3 earthquakes in 2001 were 7.5, the difference in amount of energy released would be over a hundred-fold increase between the two years. And yet, in both years the UGSC would register them on their graphs as being of the 7th magnitude on the Richter scale. As you can now see, claiming that the amount of earthquakes being constant, or even decreasing, is totally irrelevant toward the increased amount of energy being released by the earthquakes.
Robanan

And even this "Bioethics" guy (http://www.discovery.org/a/5911) who in his article simply dismisses Tom as being "nuts" without even giving a single hint about how or why, not even giving a try to disprove Tom on the issue the bioethics guy seems to claim to be such an expert of.

You can find Tom's original article here if you are interested. http://nujournal.net/EarthquakeEnergyRise.pdf
Rezo

It seems almost impossible to have any intelligent debate, unless you intelligently submit your data to someone willing to discuss it with you. But, the purpose of Tom's was also not to keep secret, but to inform, so I guess its expected theres going to be ad-hominem attacks on him [nuts, cooky, etc]/

I'm curious, if Tom can thereby improve earthquake warning systems w/that information... Can his warning be used to better predict earthquakes/volcano eruptions [location, intensity, aftershock] more ahead of time than current systems do? What other newer forms of earthquake prediction are on the horizon?

I don't know whats really going on disaster-wise, but his core-data hasn't been challenged seriously yet, with exception from some discussions a few years ago on sciforums [interspersed with ridicule].

This ones from a blog by Maria Brumm, that also basically labelled him crazy/wrong, a little explanation was included but not much. A claim of hers, was that Tom didn't properly look at magnitude in the 1990s.

http://scienceblogs.com/greengabbro/200 ... mole_p.php
Rezo

anyone see "climate audit" response to his work?

here is a link: http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=3190

same assertion shared in this one: more earthquakes since 73, says, only b/c we can find them better now.
Robanan

But isn't Tom's article about the "energy" of earthquakes increasing?
Rezo

yes it is. But most ignore this...I failed to make clear there, sorry.

I was trying to find supporting sources who agree w/him...[didn't] that is, the data is there, what other scientists also see and notice it?
Rezo

Something interesting yet more on the non-scientific side, is in regards to an experience of David Icke's experience on a mound in Peru near Sillustani, something Ive overlooked because I never got to see his full video on the wogan show in 1991, now is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTsbg36BuYU

At around 3:27 into the 9+ minute clip, David discusses what seems similar to what Dr. Chalko is talking about, and I actually found it rather interesting.

Most of the video here of course talks about political and conspiracy topics, which incidentally to me make sense - this message is focused only on the experience of Mr Icke which is related in the sense of what he seemed to describe as being pretty similar to what Tom has expressed. Actually, some years ago in 1997 when I first got TP I emailed Tom a few times, regarding a quote from Thao, '...if the earth disappears, as a result of horrific cataclysms...' forget the page. And I asked him what he thought that was all about?
joao vieira

I wouldn't like to be in Tom's position its a delicate one, but on the other hand i would most definitely not want to be like any of those ruthless effortless narrow minded brats...

sincerely my opinion is that ANY advice in TP is not on the schedule to be followed any time soon, sadly.

this really hurt me a little, i really like Tom as human being much more than as scientist..

bye bye everyone. :salute:
joao vieira

Oh and when scrolling on the comments i read on one of them that Tom Chalko was on Coast to Coast? Anyone?