Radio Frequency Identification...

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

AzureTwilight

Radio Frequency Identification...

Hello everyone! I just thought I'd share some interesting, and what I concider to be rather distressing, news.

Perhaps it would be best to describe the validitity of this information. I am a student at the Georgia Institute of Technology, one of the largest technology research institutions in America(to those of American nationality outside of the United States, I mean no disrespect). What I am to go over here is either rumors and speculation from upperclassmen, graduate students, and a professors, and some of it is more then rumor, it is a first hand account (this area is more to the power and accuracy of such technology)

The technology I refer to is Radio Frequency Identification Devices, or RFIDs. RFIDs are small radio transmiters that can be implanted on almost anything. The readers for them are as well compact and could be hidden anywhere a piece of chewing gum could be hidden, for example.

This could have many commercial and personal benifits. I.e., immagine walking into a grocery store, loading everything into your cart, and just walking out, all the transactions acomplished by reading the IDs on the produce and your credit card, or any other ID carried on you.

Most people I talk to find this a facinating and useful invention. Some friend and I are not sure though. We picture such things as government tracking, easy credit history access, credit fraud, and in general chaos. Although widespread credit fraud, in the long run, may be a step towards the means of a lack of monotary unit, it would at the same time create widespread corruption, giving power at the same time to the less savory type and the national government.

While the last paragraph was a speculation my my friends and I, I am still concerned by such technology. I leave this information in your capable hands with my expression of interest and curiosity in your opinions on this matter.

By the way, for those who are wondering who I am, I left an Introductory message in Welcome to "General Discussion Forum"!.
I may not know where I'm going, but it sure is a good day to go there!
ptex

Hi AzureTwilight,
RFID technology has been around for many years now. Professionally I've made studies about it and in my company it's being used for many applications with high success: item tracking, route optimization, security, geo-position monitoring, etc.
Your concern is valid given the current state of governance worldwide. You're probably aware that RFID technology is being used everywhere now, for example in the car industry (intelligent key concept of Toyota), in public transports and also in National ID cards and specially passports (now with the biometric electronic requirements in place). These latest examples can be worrying given the potential for ID theft.
What's the solution then? In my view to allow it's use to fairly harmless means and to deny all other uses. In my study I've seen RFID implanted in people, some notable cases go to the point of using RFID in night clubs and discos for VIP members...
So I think the allowed uses should be ruled by law and its use closely monitored.
What is happening to RFID is an example of what happens regarding practically all technologies in this planet: because we're too focused on materialism. As it's mentioned in TP technology should be used to assist spirituality because otherwise it's purely missing the point.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
Aisin

Yes, RFID technology has been around for many years. What you highlighted, AzureTwilight, are the potential new applications of the same technology.

From the brief moments I had experimented with a high power RFID reader/writer (size of a 15" LCD monitor) years ago, I had much concern with its effect on human health. After being physically close to the reader/writer for a few minutes, I started to feel some easily-gone-unnoticed pain in my finger joints, apparently effect of EM wave on human body.

In that particular setup, the reader/writer (to decode the information) was the active device, while the RFID tag (to store the information) was a passive device, ie not powered up. There may be more variations to the setup, I've been out of touch for many years. Perhaps ptex or someone else can add more updates?
Rezo

Re: Radio Frequency Identification...

all I can say is I'm not going to be a number....I hear its hidden in all sorts of products [typically from large stores - I may be wearing one now w/o knowing!] that deactivate when you check out. Have you seen the teeny tiny hitachi one?

http://thefutureofthings.com/news/1032/ ... world.html

it starts w/use for industrial convenience for revenue, then its for monitoring medical info, finding lost children or pets [how are they getting lost?], prisoners, next you and me, for surveillance, by a paranoid power structure with all the techno-toys it wants. How does this technology get in the wrong hands? Simple. If there's money in it, and artificial demand is incrementally persuaded to public via basically mainstream tv and radio shows, then people want it out of fear, then it becomes law.

kinda freaks me out since the idea of privacy is still being conditioned to have us think 'so what as long as youre not a criminal' but of course if you look theres reports that data can be faked easier w/this tech, than previous versions [I guess bar codes?] http://news.cnet.com/RFID-tags-become-h ... 87912.html

also kinda weird of course im sure its been said already, book of revelations bit on the mark...[maybe thiaoouba have seen it happen on other planets?]