Is This Science Myth a Myth?

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

Is This Science Myth a Myth?

From http://www.amasci.com/miscon/myths10.html, "Ten Myths of Science: Reexamining What We Think We Know...", Vol. 96, School Science & Mathematics, 01-01-1996, pp.10.

I completely disagree with Myth #7. See my comments inline (bolding is mine):
Myth 7: Science and its Methods Can Answer All Questions.

Philosophers of science have found it useful to refer to the work of Karl Popper (1968) and his principle of falsifiability to provide an operational definition of science. Popper believed that only those ideas that are potentially falsifiable are scientific ideas.

For instance, the law of gravity states that more massive objects exert a stronger gravitational attraction than do objects with less mass when distance is held constant. This is a scientific law because it could be falsified if newly-discovered objects operate differently with respect to gravitational attraction. In contrast, the core idea among creationists is that species were placed on earth fully-formed by some supernatural entity. Obviously, there is no scientific method by which such a belief could be shown to be false.
Non-obviously, obviously there are such methods.
Is there no such method because our scientists cannot observe other planets equivalent to the Earth? Is there no such method because they are unable to observe the past?
Inability does not necessarily mean impossibility.
Since this special creation view is impossible to falsify, it is not science at all and the term creation science is an oxymoron. Creation science is a religious belief and as such, does not require that it be falsifiable. Hundreds of years ago thoughtful theologians and scientists carved out their spheres of influence and have since coexisted with little acrimony. Today, only those who fail to understand the distinction between science and religion confuse the rules, roles, and limitations of these two important world views.

It should now be clear that some questions simply must not be asked of scientists. During a recent creation science trial for instance, Nobel laureates were asked to sign a statement about the nature of science to provide some guidance to the court. These famous scientists responded resoundingly to support such a statement; after all they were experts in the realm of science (Klayman, Slocombe, Lehman, & Kaufman, 1986). Later, those interested in citing expert opinion in the abortion debate asked scientists to issue a statement regarding their feelings on this issue. Wisely, few participated. Science cannot answer the moral and ethical questions engendered by the matter of abortion. Of course, scientists as individuals have personal opinions about many issues, but as a group, they must remain silent if those issues are outside the realm of scientific inquiry.
Abortion is outside the realm of scientific inquiry? Doesn't true morality come from scientific knowledge of the world?
Science simply cannot address moral, ethical, aesthetic, social and metaphysical questions.
Why? Are those unverifiable or outside of Nature?

Science cannot address moral questions? Then all manner of injustices happen.
Science cannot address ethical questions? Ditto.
Science cannot address aesthetic questions? Then beauty and ugliness are confused.
Science cannot address social questions? Then social disintegration entails.
Science cannot address metaphysical questions? Then there will be forever metaphysics, and science will never reach complete knowledge of Nature (never = until we destroy ourselves with such scientific approaches, or should I say, lack of approach).
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
bomohwkl

those ideas that are potentially falsifiable are scientific ideas.
From my view as a scientist, I disagree the need of falsifiablity to be a scientific idea.

Can you falsify a universal truth? Surely there are numberous universal laws governing the material world and consciousness.

My approach of science is a continous refinement of laws of universe where as much as observations should be taken account in establishing a theory or law. If something doesn't agree with the theory or law, we should refine or even come up with new understanding not only incoporate the new and old observations. Only by then, we will able to come closer to the truth of the universe.
Abortion is outside the realm of scientific inquiry?
Science on earth is just concentrating to much on understanding the material world, little study is done on consciousness. The aura is part of nature but most scientists just dismiss it as non-sense.
Zark

My understanding is that the word "science" literally means "knowledge" (perhaps it was latin or greek?).

The idea of falsifiability is an interesting one, but their premise that one can know whether or not a subject matter is impossible to verify appears irrational. Just because we cannot conceive of a way to test or verify a theory, does not mean that it can not be tested or verified.

This reminds of something that was raised in a philosophy class: even if a pink and purple pokerdot elephant doesn't exist in the entire universe.. it is unfortunately impossible for us to prove that they don't exist, as this would require knowledge of the entire universe.

For arguments sake, I would say that knowledge comes from experience. And verification is just one method of gaining experience.
Last edited by Zark on Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Kestrel

Well heres from the http://www.m-w.com Dictionary. The etymology indicates that it seems to be from latin.
I like that " Knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding." Thats certinly qualifys as what I am taught at highschool physics.

Main Entry: sci·ence
Pronunciation: 'sI-&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin scientia, from scient-, sciens having knowledge, from present participle of scire to know; probably akin to Sanskrit chyati he cuts off, Latin scindere to split -- more at SHED
1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
2 a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study <the science of theology> b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science>
3 a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method b : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : NATURAL SCIENCE
4 : a system or method reconciling practical ends with scientific laws <culinary science>
5 capitalized : CHRISTIAN SCIENCE
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao