Important: change in forum posting & new user registration

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

ptex

Important: change in forum posting & new user registration

Dear friends,

Following the recent wave of spammers in our forum, from now on we'll be requiring that ALL user posts in this forum are approved by a moderator.

At the same time we're also implementing a new policy regarding new user account registration policy to be "approved by an administrator" only!

I know this may not be of the liking of all involved but it's a necessary measure for the moment.

You're free to address your concerns to me via PM or leave a comment here.
Frozn

Re: Important: change in forum posting & new user registration

Spammers are a curse to all forums, but there is a better solution that would require a little doing.

I've administrated several forums in my time, and sadly, lack of time prevented me from taking Vesko up on his offer to give me admin here, or else I would do this. Since I've never used the Admin CP on this type of forum, I can't give you a complete walkthrough, ptex, but these steps should be doable on any forum.

1. Create a user group with the privilege to avoid moderation queues.
2. Add all active members known to not be spammers into this group.
3. Allow promotion into this user group after 10(or up to 50) approved posts.

This will eliminate the backlog and ease the moderators job while allowing the majority of members the freedom to post as they used to. Please take this into consideration, and if you guys need any help doing this, send me a PM.
Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. - Gospel of Thomas
ptex

Hi Frozn,

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestion!
This indeed solves the issue quite gracefully :) I will implement it soon and you all who regularly post will have the situation back to normal very soon too.

Again Thanks!!! :thumleft:
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
ptex

Dear friends,

I'm happy to announce that we've implemented a new forum post policy.

From now on all users with more than 3 Posts, can post without moderation.

If you find any problem, please let us know.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth