Gravitation Anomalies

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

Gravitation Anomalies

"An unexplained effect during solar eclipses casts doubt on General Relativity"

http://www.economist.com/science/displa ... id=3104321

More details in this paper available online: http://arxiv.org/ftp/gr-qc/papers/0408/0408023.pdf
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

In the study of science, when done with merit we can now fully understand just how little we understand.
Vesko

Absolutely, Krestel! Unfortunately, people like to seem omniscient and pompous in the eyes of others, so the former conveniently "forget" what you say and its crucial importance to true development.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

Well vesko, I enjoy reading these science articles its almost influncing me to seek a Phd or Msc. I am still thinking about that though. But I am confident I could achive a great mind, there are just many questions I must ask myself before I goto college.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Zark

Vesko wrote:Unfortunately, people like to seem omniscient and pompous in the eyes of others, so the former conveniently "forget" what you say and its crucial importance to true development.
Definately! And it is a fault we all display from time to time, so something to keep a watch for...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Vesko

I agree, Zark. Displaying oneself and thinking about oneself beyond a minimum is bad (a lot of learning is needed to determine this minimum, but that's another matter). There are recent psychological studies which prove that it wastes time, and degrades one intellectually.
An informative article is http://www.about-face.org/r/facts/bi.shtml.
One study experimentally induced a state of self-objectification (asking subjects to try on bathing suits), and found that in comparison to another condition (trying on a sweater) the swimsuit condition caused women, not men, to experience body shame. This experimental condition also predicted restrained eating and poor performance on a math test following the swimsuit condition, again this was true for women, not for men (Fredrickson, Roberts, Noll, Quinn & Twenge, 1998). This study was among the first to investigate and find evidence for the idea that self-objectification in women leads to impaired functioning in other areas (such as mental performance).
Zark

vanity: worrying about how others perceive you

Thank you very much vesko, that was a fascinating quote !!

I only recently came to the conclusion that I was constantly worrying about what people thought of me, my appearance, what I said and how I said it. And that this was in fact incredibly self destructive. More harmful than I could have previously even believed. Not only does it cause anxiety, and poor self confidence - but it also seems to be repressive. You are so busy thinking about impressing other people instead of being true to yourself... instead of freely expressing what is in your Heart, your Mind and in your Spirit.

with metta,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Vesko

I can relate very much to what you say. There's no easy way out of such worries, i.e. simply ignoring them. The difficulty lies in recognizing and addressing only worries caused by real problems, and discarding false worries caused by imaginary problems. Even if worries concern appearance, it may be because of a real problem, not an imaginary one! So we can't say to ouselves in all cases (in some it may work!) that we are spiritual, and suddenly all our problems go away. With many good things, hard discipline and work is needed to achieve them.
To be precise, the real problem is not worrying, rather it is the inability to go past worrying. Worrying is a reaction stimulating change, but if the change does not come within a situation-specific period due to some reason, it becomes the real problem.
It is important that the book never says one should not care about one's physical body. It only says we should not focus on it, but rather on cultivating the mind. Yet they don't say focus 100% on the mind, ignoring the body. Cultivating the mind can maintain and improve physical health in ways focussing on the physical body cannot, but at the same time the physical body and the mind are two components of an integral system. That is why blindly ignoring one of the components will break the entire system.
In view of the above, focusing on a high ideal, which requires all mental and physical resources to be utilized, can bring about any positive improvement. Here's what Cayce says:
Do not worry as to whether you are fat or thin. Worry rather as to whether you use your body, mentally and physically, as an expression of thy ideal.

Edgar Cayce Reading 308-8
Zark

Do not worry as to whether you are fat or thin. Worry rather as to whether you use your body, mentally and physically, as an expression of thy ideal.
Edgar Cayce Reading 308-8
Thanks again vesko, as always his advice is sagely :P