Do you understand "The Freedom Of Choice"?

Contains polls on questions either directly or indirectly related to the books

Moderator: Moderators

Yes
34%
No
No votes
Here and there
6%
More than enough
9%
More or less
3%
All the more the more I read it
49%

Total votes: 35

Yothu

Try to read The Freedom again - I haven't yet met anyone who understod it fully after the first reading. Understanding Life is a PROCESS. [Tom]
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Aisin

It's not hard to understand fully the content of the book, even at the first reading. However, analogous to 'the journey to the light through the tunnel' experience as described by many, it's more like you understand it and then you forget some part of it, as you go on with life. and then sometime later when you revisit it, you rediscover some of the forgotten points, along with your newly acquired experience and understanding on life.

The most inspiring part about the book TFOC is that it opens our eyes to another perspective of looking at what life is. Since then, things never look the same again. Of course we still have to continue to ponder on life with our own effort.

'Understanding life is a process. ~ Tom' is very true!
Alisima

Re: Do you understand "The Freedom Of Choice"?

Yothu wrote:
Try to read The Freedom again - I haven't yet met anyone who understod it fully after the first reading. Understanding Life is a PROCESS. [Tom]
From this quote it looks like understanding TFOC is synonymous with understanding Life, I like to comment on that, since it obviously isn't.

Understanding Life has nothing to do with understanding TFOC. You can perfectly understand TFOC and yet fail miserably at understanding Life. Similarly, you can perfectly understand Life and have not a single clue at what TFOC is talking about. And, of course, you can understand both, but then TFOC would be futile since you have already understood that which TFOC tries to make understandable, namely: Life. That, in it's turn, means that at some given point in 'your' 'process', as tom would describe it, you must discard TFOC and all it's idea's, since you know them by heart, or at least that which they try to convey. Further carring the book, or it's content, would be quite useless and, like excessive baggage, would be a burden on your shoulders. So anyone who sufficiently understands TFOC must burn the book, metaphorically speaking ofcourse. Only then true progress can be made (although the progress is obviously of illusionary nature, but, paradoxially, that is only understood after the illusionary progress is made.)

That, my friends, is the process of understanding Life. You'll start with a variety of assumptions and end bare naked.
Don't read my signature.
Yothu

I quoted two sentences of Tom's that are seperated by a pause, indicated by a dot. They may be connected to each other but may not necessarily be in any way connected, according to how I understand it.

If I filter your message, I see the following I am able to agree with:
Alisima wrote:at some given point in 'your' 'process', as tom would describe it, you must discard TFOC and all it's idea's, since you know them by heart, or at least that which they try to convey. That, my friends, is the process of understanding Life.
Is that what you wanted to express?
shezmear

Yothu what did you think of it?
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Yothu

Shezmear: What do I think of what?
shezmear

TFOC
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Yothu

TFoC

Amazing book.

(Essentially - for me - it is about love)

The content is vast but in essence very simple.

Easy to integrate within your mind.

Possible to live the content.

Opens up to the understanding of many other
fundamental things in life.

It is IMO necessary to comprehend the essence
of the book to live life (how it is meant to be lived,
whatever this may mean)

And, last but not least, it's an exremely fascinating
and mind-massaging, provoking & deep reading.

I read it in one go the first time it got into my hands.
Sandman

Amazing book, thought provocative and useful. Should be in every school's bookshelf