'Breath Holds the Key to Our Physical and Mental Health'

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

'Breath Holds the Key to Our Physical and Mental Health'

I'd like to share two great talks by Swami Rama: "Light Your Own Lamp" and "The Sacred Fire".
Notice the crucial importance of breathing. As some of us know, the better we know how to breathe and control breathing patterns, the better the meditation, concentration and all the activities that are also a must to our well-being.

A short quote from the article:
"Be practical. You have a body, but you are not a body alone. You are a thinking being too, for you have a mind. In order to be healthy and happy, you must learn the dynamics of your body and mind — their relationship and how they are connected to each other. Between body and mind there is something called breath. You are a breathing being too. Breath holds the key to your physical and mental health. Proper diet and exercise ensures your physical health. Proper thinking and ne-pointedness of mind ensures your mental health. But without proper breathing you cannot have a good grip on either your body or your mind."
For more information and advice on breathing, I'd recommend reading and following "The Science of Breath: A Practical Guide" by Swami Rama, Dr. Rudolph Ballentine, Dr. Alan Hymes.

[Note added on 2006-04-25:]

For more about Swami Rama's yogic teachings, passed down from a series of Himalayan sages, see the topic "Meditation lessons (Swami Rama teachings booklet)" in the forum library. Based on my studying of various materials by Swami Rama, I think he was an authentic teacher and yogi teaching authentic yoga. I recommend his works exceedingly!!
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Leventis

I agree. :) I think meditation makes you pay attention to your breathing patterns. Have you hear about people getting angry or aggitated to count up to 10.. I have many times. Consentration with your breath makes us become one with our body and be aware of the feelings we have. Think of the time you become angry REALLY ANGRY. Have you noticed the way you breath.. How about a moment you might get scared.. have you noticed how your breath is. One way to relax and come back to our original self is through breathing and understanding of our own body. :) Good point Vesko. I wasn't planing on saying much but I guess I was wrong :)

PS: I haven't meditated for some days now.
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
trumpet_is_cool

Chao Kok Sui describes in his Pranic Healing book (very simple and effective method) a breathing technique that is simple and gives a lot of energy (You know what kind of "energy" i mean if you had the sensation of "something" flowing/vibrating in your body during meditation...There are many names for this "Energy" Prana is one of them)...

Close your eyes:
Breath in (relaxed breath in to the abs area,not in the chest) for 6 counts
Hold the air in for 3 counts
Breath out for 6 counts
Hold the air in for 3 counts
[...]

The Rythm and the "Hold the Air" Phases are important.
Give it a try for a couple of minutes, my experience is that it boost up the "energy" a lot !!!
You shouldn`t do this If you are sick or feeling bad because the chakras can not absorbe that much energy if you are sick....
Vesko

This is one of the components of normal yogic breathing -- the durations of an inhalation and an exhalation should each be twice longer than the one of breath retention.
According to yoga, this is not a special exercise that should only be performed periodically -- one should learn to breathe like that all the time! Regarding the you shouldn't do this if you are sick advice -- that's very curious, because it contradicts books on yoga.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
trumpet_is_cool

I can not do it all the time because it is like eating too much, the energy starts to get too strong.The worst thing was that i had to vomit because i did it too long...He describes that the chakras are not able to convert that much energy if you are sick or the chakras are to little.If you are sick are the chakras "constipated" the healer can clean them with a sweeping technique and after cleaning he can transfer energy to the patient. I use the breathing technique only to maintan a steady feel of flowing energy. Yes, you are right that it is a yoga technique...The Book of Pranic Healing is based ob various old technique but he removed all esoterical content and all "Believes" so that there are some effecient techniques for healing left...By the way (a bit off-topic) he describes also a way to "scan" the aura with your hands, this works quite good and is easyer to learn.I can really suggest this book it is simple and free of esoterical believes, you proof the excistence of the Aura with the scanning...
Scanning - Scanning is the term given in Pranic Healing to feeling your energy field or aura with your hands. The procedure is extremely simple and takes just a few minutes. Most people (probably 80% or more) will feel their energy on the first try. Follow the simple instructions below and see for yourself!

Press the centres of your palms.(Hand chakras)

Put your hands about three inches apart (about 8 cm) parallel to each other, with the armpits slightly open .

Be aware of the centres of your palms and the tips of your fingers. Move your hands slightly back and forth. The movement has to be done very slowly. Do this for about five minutes.

Eighty to Ninety percent of you will be able to feel a tingling sensation, heat, pressure or a rhythmic pulsation between the palms on the first try.

To enhance the effect of the experiment above, do some simple hand, finger and wrist exercises before starting.