Gospel of Thomas 109

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Yothu

Gospel of Thomas 109

109 Jesus said, "The (Father's) kingdom is like a person who had a treasure hidden in his field but did not know it. And [when] he died he left it to his [son]. The son [did] not know about it either. He took over the field and sold it. The buyer went plowing, [discovered] the treasure, and began to lend money at interest to whomever he wished.
Any ideas anybody?

-
I liked the discussion of the Gospels of Thomas so much when I first came across this forum.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Robanan

I almost have no idea yothu, Maybe it means that we really do already have the "treasure" but we have to do some plowing in order to find it?
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Yothu

oh yes! now that you mention it, it is pretty obvious. the one that went plowing discovered the knowledge, and distributing it, gained even more that he had before.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Zark

treasure hidden in a field -- Gospel of Thomas 109

It is possible that the writer got it slightly wrong? There are one or two sayings in The Gospel of Thomas that seem quite out of place for jesus. Take for example Gospel of Thomas 14.

Here is what could be another version of this parable:
Mat 13:44 Again, the kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which when a man has found it, he hides it, and for the joy of it goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field.

Matthew chapter 13 has some good parables in it by the way, and Jesus explains the symbolism in this chapter. The symbols are like a form of encryption ... I intend to post a thread on this topic when I have gathered my thoughts / more info on this subject. But for now I have some info on this stuff here : http://thebastian.blog.com/Ancient_Texts/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

Re: Gospel of Thomas 109

I will quote the following symbols from: http://www.prophecycode.org/symbols.asp
* Gold = Pure Character Precious and Rare Isaiah 13:12
* Field = World Matthew 13:38, John 4:35
* Harvest = End of World Matthew 13:39

The 'lending of money at interest' part is strange. What I do know is that this is prohibited in the law of Moses - it is called Usury.

Back to that similar parable:
Mat 13:44 Again, the kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which when a man has found it, he hides it, and for the joy of it goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field.

I think I understand this one now. The treasure is related to what Jesus tought and how to receive 'everlasting life' (even the words 'everlasting life' is a symbol see: John 6:27, John 17:3). Read this one below.. I have highlighted the three keys to the 'code'. The last being central as it may explain what the 'treasure' is :

From Mar 10:17-25
17 And when He had gone out into the way, one came running up and kneeled to Him, and asked Him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
18 And Jesus said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good except one, God.
19 You know the commandments: Do not commit adultery, do not kill, do not steal, do not bear false witness, do not defraud, honor your father and your mother.
20 And he answered and said to Him, Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth.
21 Then Jesus, beholding him, loved him and said to him, One thing you lack. Go, sell whatever you have and give it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in Heaven. And come, take up the cross and follow Me.
22 And he was sad at that saying and went away grieved, for he had great possessions.
23 And Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, How hardly those having riches will enter into the kingdom of God!
24 And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answering again said to them, Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich one to enter into the kingdom of God.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
bomohwkl

Sell all unimportant stuffs you have and use that money to keep the treasure hidden in the field (assuming you don't known the field). I dont see any contradiction with the Gospel of Thomas. That's is what Tom Chalko has done. Leave/ sell any unimportant stuff and use that money to buy space and time for spiritual development.
Zark

bomohwkl wrote:I dont see any contradiction with the Gospel of Thomas. That's is what Tom Chalko has done.
No I wasn't saying this one (#109) is a contradiction, I said this verse is similar but perhaps the writer got it slightly wrong. These guys had to write from memory about stuff that probably happened years ago. The verse that I said seems quite mistaken (or contradictory) is Verse 14, not verse 109..

This is what I said:
zark wrote:It is possible that the writer got it slightly wrong? There are one or two sayings in The Gospel of Thomas that seem quite out of place for jesus. Take for example Gospel of Thomas 14 .