A Few Thoughts On (Musical) Talent

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

trumpet_is_cool

A Few Thoughts On (Musical) Talent

Hi !

I joined a Trumpetplayer Mailing List and found today a nice E-Mail and would like to share it with you:
 We can't take any credit for our talent. It really is how we use it that counts............
We don't play and create music in a vacuum ,just  out of the blue. Music is a collaboration.It's really a connection or rather a sacred *contract* between the musician and our Creator.

The great composer Frederick Handel firmly believed that he was hallucinating for over three frenzied weeks as he was composing  The Messiah : "I did think I did see all Heaven before me and the great God Himself."

The great composer Puccini, openly confessed that his opera, Madame Butterfly," was dictated to me by God; I was merely instrumental in putting it  on paper and communicating it to the public."
But remember that you must nourrish this talent with enthusiasm, energy, craft, discipline,devotion,passion intelligence, perseverance, skill,sweat,tenacity and savvy.
Don't worry about  your talent not being adequate enough for the job.Just show up for the gig,oil the valves, warm up your chops and get out of your way !!!
The world needs your gift your talent as much as you need to demonstrate it  and lastly, as long as you remember that you aren't performing and creating your sound and creativity  alone,the flow and fluidity will never be stopped.
Think there is some truth inside, i wonder myself sometimes after a good improvised solo if i really played THIS alone...I noticed that the solo becomes "***" as soon i start to worry/think about chords and such stuff.Some of the best players says : "learn your scales and chords....Then....Forget all about them and play!"
Alisima

"learn your scales and chords....Then....Forget all about them and play!"
And they are correct!! More interestingly, the same applies to almost all thing we have to learn. Remember walking?? Do you ever think about it??

As far as the composer who "wrote god's music" are concerned, they are either hallucinating, or, and that is what I think, they have entered a trance state and literally were god when they composed the music. I have seen it in myself. Whenever I preform for an audience with my band, you notice moments, only afterward, where you have gone into some trance. No thoughts, no doubts, just music. You don't even have to think how to play it, it just happens.[/b]
Don't read my signature.