Trivia and Factoids

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

Trivia and Factoids

Often we come across odd bits of trivia that we would like to share but don't necessarily fit into a thread , so here is the place for them :-)

I will start the ball rolling with one or two..
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

Left Handers have double rate of bowel and immune disorders

=== Left Handers have double rate of bowel disorders ===
The disorders dicussed below relate to auto-immune disorders, and this is not surprising since many (perhaps the majority) of the immune disorders start in the bowel with dysbiosis of the gut flora (infection). This is particularly true of the inflammatory disorders such as reactive arthritis (reiter's syndrome), rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, eczema, allergies, asthma, etc.
Title: Left-handers' bowel disease danger
Tuesday, 21 March, 2000, 00:59 GMT
People who are left-handed are twice as likely as right-handers to suffer from bowel disease, claim scientists.

A study of more than 20,000 people in the UK found that the risk of inflammatory bowel disease - usually Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis - doubled in left-handed people.

Dr Danielle Morris
Although the prevalence of left-handedness in the general population is around one in ten, 21% of the people found to have inflammatory bowel disease were left-handed.

The research, by a team at the Royal Free Hospital and University College Medical School in London, comes after earlier studies showed left-handers are at increased risk of other conditions such as asthma and diabetes.

This poll of over 100 people with Ankylosing Spondylitis revealed similar findings.. far more left handers than expected at around 15% as of Feb 2005:
http://asdata.no-ip.info/asdata
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

Insane people use selfish patterns of speech

I recently heard that people in psyche wards use the words "I", "me", "mine", etc. ten times more often then normal people. The inference being that people with poor and deranged psyches have selfish attitudes.. or that selfishness leads to deranged thought patterns.

I really need to check how accurate this is and will do so later. It is too late right now and I need some sleep. Will edit this post later.
Vesko

Both bits very intriguing! Thanks, Zark. A good idea for a topic, too!
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Bastian

Some of the stuff on this url below look kind of suspect. Care to comment anyone ;)
http://www.worldcitizenguide.com/index2.html
Bulgaria:
To say "yes" shake your head side to side; for "no" nod your head up and down.

Mali:
People in Mali are obliged to take care of extended family members, people end up taking care of an average of 10 people.
Vesko, is the first one true ?
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching
Vesko

Absolutely true. Strange, isn't it? Most other countries are the opposite.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
bomohwkl

To say "yes" shake your head side to side; for "no" nod your head up and down.
Indians too!!
It was confusing at least when someone agreed with your view but shaking his/her head side to side. Try with your friends. A good joke during coffee break.
Bastian

Wow, both India and Bulgaria :!: I had no idea, growing up in Australia it just seems so universal to shake the head for no, and to nod for yes.
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching