Breaking the Light Speed Barrier

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

Breaking the Light Speed Barrier

There have been quite a few experiments in recent years that show that the light speed barrier can be broken.. contrary to the dogma of modern physics. It also validates Thao's statements that their shiop flew faster than the speed of light. Back in 1987 this barrier was beyond reproach, and to some extent scientists still seem to be in disbelief.

Here is a good article about it. This website also has info on the nature of Gravity.
http://www.electrogravityphysics.com/ht ... light.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Kestrel

This is a great article. :study:
I think this may be a positive step. \:D/
Zark

:shock: yeah, we could make a list of all the points where the current "Dogma of Relativity" is proven wrong. hmmm.. I think it is worth doing, because there are many times in the book where those versed in the theory of relativity will say..
"ahh but we know this is impossible because..." :
a) if you travelled at the speed of light, your mass would be infinite
b) if you travelled at the speed of light, you will go backwards in time
c) 'anti-gravity' is impossible as it is a result of 'space-time curvature' and would require infinite energy to acheive..
d) umm.. I am sure there are others.. little help please.. :-)

'may the spirit enlighten you' :sunny:
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Vesko

Thanks for the article. I did not know of this news.
Now read this carefully:
http://articles.findarticles.com/p/arti ... i_74523975

Some essential quotes in the first part of the article which concerns the same experiment in the news that
you have posted:
Several other "superluminal" experiments have made the news this last year. What you won't always
hear is that the experiments don't disprove Einstein, and that causality has not been violated.
After the initial excitement and confusion, it had turned out that, "Far from challenging
fundamental rules of nature, the team developed a method of manipulating the wavelengths of a beam of light,
thereby altering the way it arrives at its destination. Because short wavelengths become longer and long
ones become shorter, the natural fanning outward that marks a light pulse is eliminated; consequently the
shape of the pulse at its destination appears the same as at its origin. This effect, called anomalous
dispersion, had never been produced in a transparent medium [until Wang]. The light didn't speed up, but
rather the peak of its pulse shifted, thereby changing its intensity."
So in this case light is not travelling faster at all. From the article I learned that there is another experiment, performed by Dr. Mohammed Mojahedi, reported later in year 2000, which in layman's terms could be said to involve superluminal speed of "partial" light (this is my term, not used in the article).

Instead of quoting, I'll summarize in my words what I understood:
In that other experiment, light was observed to travel faster, but the observation was only for the so-called main, or large-amplitude part of the light pulse. The observation was due to previously known quantum tunneling effects in dialectric photonic crystals. But the main pulse is not the entire light. It is the forerunner pulse together with the main pulse that make up the entire light signal. Since it is only the forerunner, or beginning/head pulse, that is required to obey the speed limit, this is not a violation of the our cosmic speed limit. Since only part of the signal arrives earlier, this cannot be used for superluminal communication (full signal faster than light is needed), but there could be computing applications for detection of light pulses (since the forerunner pulse will arrive earlier). With finding such potential applications, Dr. Mojahedi has shown that previous researchers Borne and Wolfe, and also Brillouin, are wrong that superluminal group velocities of light have no meaning. (Group velocity is faster than light since it is the total velocity = velocity of forerunner pulse + velocity of main pulse.)

The article ends with:
With other interesting experiments being conducted, such as slowing light down to a crawl inside a
special medium, the speed of light continues to be an entertaining subject. Rumors of the demise of Einstein
and causality are still a bit premature.
I like the article, except that it calls the topic "entertaining subject."
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

So vesko if matter is going faster then light, is it that it may be light at that speed or something ?
Vesko

If by matter you mean atoms, this is not light because light is made of photons, which are of course different from atoms. Such matter travelling at the speed of light would be even more incredible to our science, because it would make very fast space travel possible. Photons at superluminal speed will only make possible for information encoded in a light signal to travel faster. But note also that communication speed is not only limited by the speed of the travelling signal, but also by the encoders and the decoders of the signal. So you see there is more than one hurdle on the way to making use of such speeds.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

I dont know if we could fair in space, as inmature as we are as a whole. I think that we might be mature enough to say, make a weapon out of this.

I should quit being so pesimistic ;)
Bastian

Crystal Links Ultraviolet Photons

October 21, 2004

One key to enabling devices that store and transmit information in individual particles like photons is controlling entanglement.

When photons are entangled, aspects of the photons that can store a bit of information -- like polarization -- remain linked regardless of the physical distance between them. Entangled photons can be used in quantum cryptography to allow for the exchange of perfectly secure cryptographic keys. They can also be used to transfer information within quantum computers, which are theoretically blazingly fast at certain very large problems, including cracking today's encryption codes.

Researchers from Tohoku University in Japan have moved the quest to control entanglement forward with a method that uses the energy from a pair of photons to produce a pair of entangled photons that have the same energy state as the original photons. The current method, parametric downconversion, uses the energy from one photon to create a pair of lower-energy entangled photons. Because the researchers' method does not halve the energy of the original photons, it has the potential to entangle more than two photons.

The researchers method calls for firing two ultraviolet photons at a copper chloride crystal to produce a biexciton. An exciton is a pairing of an electron and a hole where an electron is missing; a biexciton is a pair of excitons. The biexciton decays into a pair of entangled ultraviolet photons.

The use of a semiconductor material makes the method more amenable to today's electronics, and could lead to electrically driven sources of entangled photons.

The method could be used for practical applications for entangled photon sources in one to three years and current-driven entangled photon sources in three to five years, according to the researchers. The work appeared in the September 9, 2004 issue of Nature.

from http://www.technologyreview.com/article ... 102104.asp
Remember that the spacecraft were able to communicate extremely long distances in real time.. these experiments show that faster than light communication is possible. And perhaps this applies to telepathy and communication with HS.
Bastian

Here is a good article on faster than light communication :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

According to this document: since we do not know how to use this quantum entanglement to transmit information faster than light, then information is therefore not being transmitted faster than light. There is an obvious flaw in their logic since information is in fact being sent faster than light (the information being sent is the quantum spin). This 'spin' is a property which we do not know how to modify, and we probably won't figure out how any time soon.
Vesko

Tentative breakthrough:

"Physicist to Present New Exact Solution of Einstein's Gravitational Field Equation", http://www.physorg.com/news10789.html, February 11, 2006
Felber's antigravity discovery solves the two greatest engineering challenges to space travel near the speed of light: identifying an energy source capable of producing the acceleration; and limiting stresses on humans and equipment during rapid acceleration.
[...]
The field equation of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity has never before been solved to calculate the gravitational field of a mass moving close to the speed of light. Felber's research shows that any mass moving faster than 57.7 percent of the speed of light will gravitationally repel other masses lying within a narrow 'antigravity beam' in front of it. The closer a mass gets to the speed of light, the stronger its 'antigravity beam' becomes.

Felber's calculations show how to use the repulsion of a body speeding through space to provide the enormous energy needed to accelerate massive payloads quickly with negligible stress. The new solution of Einstein's field equation shows that the payload would 'fall weightlessly' in an antigravity beam even as it was accelerated close to the speed of light.
Alisima

Bastian wrote:Here is a good article on faster than light communication :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

According to this document: since we do not know how to use this quantum entanglement to transmit information faster than light, then information is therefore not being transmitted faster than light. There is an obvious flaw in their logic since information is in fact being sent faster than light (the information being sent is the quantum spin). This 'spin' is a property which we do not know how to modify, and we probably won't figure out how any time soon.
I believe quantum entanglement is due to non-locality, ergo, it doesn't travel faster than light since it is not subjected to space at all.
Don't read my signature.
Lena

thanks for the articles. it just so happens I'm going to my grandpa's house tomarrow to help him with some experiments. He's writting a text book about light. I'm not really sure what he's trying to do with his experiments, but I'll give him these articles because im sure he'll find them interesting, and maybe even helpfull in his research.