Lightning Storm Got Me Thinking

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Kestrel

Lightning Storm got me thinking.

I wonder just how much energy is in an average thunderstorm.
I know on diffrent areas of the planet the storms are diffrent strenght and such. Yet still I wonder how much energy is produced.

It makes me think natures saying "Hey look, heres some energy for FREE can you catch it ? "
Also the fact that in the book it said that the people of Mu used their pyramid as a means to upset the atmosphere to produce rains. So that gets me thinking, are we over looking lightning, is there a way that we could harness its energy ?
bomohwkl

Lots and lots. The problem is how to store it in such a short time. Nowadays, electricty is generated continuously.
Kestrel

I see. Storage is possible though. ;) We just arnt (imagien that) set up for that.
Zark

Also the fact that in the book it said that the people of Mu used their pyramid as a means to upset the atmosphere to produce rains.
Clouds are supposed to have a big static charge, and the earth has an opposing charge. This is what is supposed to induce lightnig when the charges get strong enough.. so strong that they can discharge over the large distance from earth to sky.

To make a charge that would attract clouds that are 10km away or more... how would one achieve such a thing? The strength of attraction falls off dramatically with distance.. I wonder if our current physics is up to the challenge..

cheers,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams