Movies thread 1: Horror (scary)

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

survivor

bomohwkl wrote:People who choose to watch a horror movies for various reasons. The effect on horror movie on a person psyche is very dependent on the psychological state of the person. However, it seems that we could list a few here.
Those who think TV is real simply choose that thought (sheep).
I have worked briefly in TV/Film production and anyone who is deluded with TV should do the same, they will never view TV and Movies the same-way-ever-again :idea:
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Robanan

survivor wrote:
Robanan wrote:Silent Hill, The one and only extremely cleverly made horror movie that truly inspired me toward love and understanding, re-revealing the value of an open mind and live free of having the need for harrasing others with personal judgments.
I can't say I've seen 'Silent Hill', I will check my local video store, however, what you have described above, you can almost put forth to the 'Saw' movies.

P.S Has anyone watched The Cube?
I wouldn't say the same about the saw movies, I've also seen the cube series didn't like them either. I didn't enjoy any of them as much. Silent hill is about a mother's love which puts the end to a most horrible nightmare.
Lena

Alisima wrote:Try to see the movie for what it is, a play of light. The fear is only superimposed by yourself. Become aware of the process by which you experience that fear. Whenever you get afraid, ask yourself how this has happened. When you will understand you won't be afraid anymore, unless you want it ofcourse...
I think I get afraid because I empathsize with characters in the movie and the other people who are afraid in the theatre watching with me. I like to feel this intensity, for example, in emotional music videos or performances, but horror movies usually are just TOO intense for TOO long for my personal entertainment.
survivor

My video store does not have a listing for "Silent Hill"...which country/year does this movie originate from?
Alisima

Don't read my signature.
survivor

Alisima wrote:www.imdb.com my friend.
Thanks Alisima, I see it stars an Australian actress [Rose Da Silva] and the film was written by Roger Avary former co-worker of Quentin Tarantino.

Maybe to-date, it's not out on DvD, well Blockbuster near me does not have it listed.
Robanan

From the site that Alisima pointed, I went through to read the comments about the movie, I must say I was getting extremely disappointed until I got to this one:
The Art and Philosophy of Silent Hill, 5 June 2006

Author: jamesonnephi from United States

This film was not simply a video game adaptation, nor a horror flick. It was the artistic collaboation of three continents. The original concept, from Japan, laced with so much Eastern philosophy and pulling liberally from the deformist movements of the mid 1900s, i.e. Francis Bacon. Directed by a Frenchman, student of literature. And written by one of the most influential American screenwriters! There is so much depth to this movie that I think a lot of people are missing. The expressionism, the manichaism, duality of existence. The greatly misunderstood aspects of personal mental divergency and its artistic relation to the physical. (this film being one of the best representations I've ever seen of this very interesting concept of the visual being a allusion to the emotional state, and not being the actual events in occurrence but more, an ocular presentation of an otherwise inperceptible mental condition(I'm sorry, but NO, the whole point of it was NOT that they were just "in hell")) And it is my opinion that this dilemma of misunderstanding/disdain is due solely to the laziness of the viewer. They have not taken the time to understand what this piece is trying to get across while still making it entertaining. Those who believe that they should be catered to in their indolent state, thinking to themselves that they should comprehend something just because they "played the game", yet they have never picked up an item of literature, or strived to understand differing artistic expressions. With no comprehension of anything intellectual, they goff at something amazing, and ultimately, they sound utterly ridiculous and unenlightened. We must build up and support those who attempt to show us something that challenges us and forces us to try and attain another point of view for seeing this frail human existence. Most want to be fed, to be told what to think, told exactly what this "movie" is supposed to mean. And this is because they are unwilling to put any effort into the edification of their being. Lazy. and obese. Living of the fat of a land that is draining them of their potential. An opportunity to think for themselves and find a meaning to their pathetic lives. Something more than a *** video game!
It was nice to know that there is at least someone who saw the movie the way I did.