Education

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Lena

Education

Hey guys. It's been over a month since my last visit to this forum... I've been very busy at my new (boarding) school. honestly, I had a rough start and was too stressed out to read the posts and think about anything spiritual too much. I'm still having a hard time. I cry a lot. I often feel like I'm in situations where I'm removed from a "natural" path but at the same time I know I belong at this school, at least more than the public school I went to last year. :roll:

I want to know what you guys think would be an ideal way to educate youth. should they be forced to go to school? or encouraged to study whatever they want on their own time? discuss!
survivor

Hi Lena.. can I ask, why are you stressed? Why do you cry alot? What education are you receiving? Is it adequate? Also, are you forced to go to this school?

..has your 'freedom of thought' been taken away from you? If you are not sure then ask your teacher/s a logical question, then anaylise the answer.

Stay positive Lena.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
bomohwkl

It seems that you don't like the subjects you are learning in school. Unfortunately, I don't think you have much choice to choose the subjects you like, not until, you enter the university. If you excell in your university entrance exams, you can have a wider choice of subjects you can choose.

Isn't developing the intellect an important components of spiritual progression? Science allows us to undertstand nature better albeit its current limitation. You will have the first hand experience when you come to do some laboratory works. You can play around the equipment. It is fun. Mathematics allows us to describe such relationships. You need to learn calculus, algebra and etc before you can even express such relationships. You will come to appreciate the precision of mathematics and probably the joy of 100% in exams. That's the only the subject that you could score 100% relatively easy compared with other subjects. History allows us to exam mistakes of the past and elements that encouraged a civilisation to flourish and its destruction, how the current world is shaped by the past. Languages allow you to communicate your ideas, arouse other people interests, pursuade your points of view in a logical sense or explore your imaginations, capture its beauty and stirring human emotions. If I were aware of such, I would have been scored very high in lingusitic skills. In school, my performance was somewhat handicapped by that.
Besides you are in a feedback system (school's exams) where you can develop skill of how to learn. Outside education, feedback is less obvious and more difficult to establish. To have good teachers is very important. However, it is usually found in good schools.
However, be warned that education doesn't prepare yourself in a real world. You still have chance to live in 'an ideal world'.
ptex

Hi Lena!

Congratulations for the topic you brought up.
It's been on my mind a lot regarding the construction of a spiritual civilization!
Actually regarding this construction there are so many things on my mind I don't know where to start but I hope soon to put some ideas into proper order and to write a more or less comprehensive topic on that.

Sorry to hear about the hard time you're having.
I remember I've had such a hard time myself when I was there but somehow I feel (now) how important it was for me to go through what I did because it helped me seeing that there was a definite higher purpose for that (even though I didn't have the slightest idea by then). I know it's not enough but this may help a bit in uderstanding what you may be going through, remember: nothing's by chance, or putting it in other words: everything is for a purpose.

I would suggest asking for the help of Your Higher Self, because indeed there is a definite truth in this. Your HS can actually be contacted in any situtation you feel the need. In TP Thao mentions that we're in permanent contact with our HS 24 hours a day, you can contact your HS during meditation but not only, you may address your HS in a normal state of consciousness too. From my experience, sincerity and purity of intention count above all!

With time I learned that we can always expect an answer, a tip, whatever... although it will arrive in the best timing (sometimes in 1 or 2 days distance) and in the most appropriate manner: a dream, a converstaion between 2 people, a magazine article, etc.. But you'll need to be alert for this and only you will know when the answer arrives. Still be confident and relaxed, you may actually be amazed with the answer you'll get.

Actually I believe there's a whole new science in interpreting signs we continuously receive regarding the options we make or the challenges we have to face.

Regarding the education itself, recently I have read a very good article in the Ode Magazine, October 2006 issue, about a different school. Instead of writing a huge post (as I feel inclined to doing) I'll just briefly refer to some interesting concepts and in the end I'll share a link regarding schools that have the same underlying system of teaching.

There's a different school in Summerhill, Northern London, U.K. founded in 1921 by a Scottish teacher who had become disillusioned with conventional schools.

Summerhill is a boarding School, by the way. The emphasis is on student's personal freedom, a concept that challenged British Office Inspectors through all these 85 years of existence. There the concept of community, teaching, decision making and personal freedom reaches new unprecedented standards between students, teachers and parents.

Inspired on Summerhill's concept, there's a relatively new movement of democratic schools all over the world.
In the US there are 71 such schools in operation in 30 different states. For more information check: http://www.educationrevolution.org
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
shezmear

Re: Education

Lena wrote:Hey guys. It's been over a month since my last visit to this forum... I've been very busy at my new (boarding) school. honestly, I had a rough start and was too stressed out to read the posts and think about anything spiritual too much. I'm still having a hard time. I cry a lot. I often feel like I'm in situations where I'm removed from a "natural" path but at the same time I know I belong at this school, at least more than the public school I went to last year. :roll:

I want to know what you guys think would be an ideal way to educate youth. should they be forced to go to school? or encouraged to study whatever they want on their own time? discuss!
Hi Lena, I `m sorry to hear that you have been unhappy…all I can do is offer what I have learned and maybe that will help you in your current circumstance.

It looks to me that you have been landed in a new environment which has presented a serious of challenges, what I can guarantee you is that over time you will Settle into your new school and way of life and things will turn out, I changed school a number of times and it is never easy, give it 3 to 6 months and you will see that as you make new friends and adjust to your environment things will improve.

Just consider that maybe right now you are were you are meant to be, and if this is true then how can you make it work…

I think when people are young, it’s important to make discussions for them because they can’t see everything, they don’t know the way of the world and what is waiting for them, sure you can let them find it but sometimes you need to make educated calls for your children.

There is a natural resistance to evolution in many people, without discipline people don’t really grow much at all, school teachers you that, so yes, I think children should be required to go through a education system of sorts, the current system is a little strange but I think better then no system at all.

At saying that, the next question is what do you want to study? It is never easy to know what is right for you when you are young, example, do you study, music?, maths?, English?, Science?, the way I would approach it is, what do I like doing? What sort of person am I? What are my strengths and weaknesses?

At saying all of this you also need to understand how what you study will relate to the world and how the world will reward you for your efforts, example most artists are poor, most doctors are wealthy, I don’t know about how “happy” they all are but the world will play a part in how you get by depending on which vocatino you pick, and I know at this point it may not be clear to you but when you get out of school you will experience it first hand, so I say think about were it will all end up, because the place you are in is not forever.

So know what you are getting into which ever direction you go, try and get something out of school while you are there, because when you enter the world, it is very different from school…
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Lena

thank you everyone for your support. :D
actually, my grades are very good and I like my teachers and subjects for the most part. My favorites are Geometry and Psychology. But I'm stressed out because there is a lot of homework and I'm put under so much pressure to complete every assignment and maintain my grades. Also, I'm required to play volleyball everyday after school, which can be draining and takes up valuable time... I don't have as much time anymore to talk to my old friends and family, listen to music, sleep, compose music, paint, ect. Something's gotta give, you know? I cry because it's a healthy way to relieve stress. many students here smoke and binge on chinese food or pizza after study hall (right before bed). I know it's terrible but I've given into gluttony several times. I ask my HS to take away my temptations and it works for a few days but then I usually fall into bad habits again.

However, ptex, I know that you are right. I wouldn't be in this situation if my HS didn't think I could handle it, and there is a purpose for me being here. I think if I stayed at my old school I might not have gotten my high school diploma on time. And at this school I met my boyfriend who I love and if it weren't for him, I really don't think that I'd be able to cope with the stress. It's corny, but I guess you could say he's heaven sent :D

survivor, no one forced me to go to this school. no one forces me to think anything here. but I am forced to go to classes, of course, and we do have to wear uniforms and eat what they feed us most of the time. and the water I bathe with has carcinogens in it :( there is nothing I can do about that. at least I still have my freedom of thought, though it's limited when I spend hours on homework my thoughts are being forced into a subject I wouldn't be thinking otherwise. that's not necessarily a bad thing. I just think it's too much at once.

I was looking at the website you posted, ptex, and found this review for a book called The Case Against Homework http://www.educationrevolution.org/caseagainst.html
The truth, according to Sara Bennett and Nancy Kalish, is that there is almost no evidence that homework helps elementary school students achieve academic success and little evidence thatf it helps older students. Yet the nightly burden is taking a serious toll on America’s families. It robs children of the sleep, play, and exercise time they need for proper physical, emotional, and neurological development. And it is a hidden cause of the childhood obesity epidemic, creating a nation of "homework potatoes."
bomohwkl

The truth, according to Sara Bennett and Nancy Kalish, is that there is almost no evidence that homework helps elementary school students achieve academic success and little evidence thatf it helps older students. Yet the nightly burden is taking a serious toll on America’s families. It robs children of the sleep, play, and exercise time they need for proper physical, emotional, and neurological development. And it is a hidden cause of the childhood obesity epidemic, creating a nation of "homework potatoes."
Homework serves as a first part of the feedback system. It helps you to fine-tune your understanding. It helps you to think. After being marked (the second part of feedback system), it is extremely important to know why you get the answers wrong. Retrace your thoughts that results the incorrect answer. I could understand having too much homeworks wth no fun. There was one point in my life that I was 5 months lagging in courseworks and lectures with my classmates and I had to catch up with them in a month. I also lived away from my family too and abroad. It was stressful ,no doubt, in order to catch up with my classmates. Could your stress stem from being an ambitious perfectionist? It is well-known to result in stress.
I have an impression that TP seems to encourage perfectionism..... yet they might have taken billions of year to achieve that......

Homework helps students achieve academic success as long as the students as a right mentality of the function of the homework. It is not something done and forget.

You have no time to do stuff you like? You still have long school holidays and lots of working adults are jealous of that. You can spend your school holidays just doing things u like.
PyroKinetic

**** homework, i hate it so *** much >.<
bomohwkl

Not a lot of people like homework. Just like not a lot of people like life.
PyroKinetic

true true XD
Teda

Lena,

Do you meditate? I found it useful when I attended uni, and useful for all aspects of my life. There’s a book called "The TM Technique" (TM - Transcendental Meditation) by Peter Russell. It might be helpful if you read it, otherwise read the following excerpt.

“ . . . several lines of research suggest that TM results in an increase in both the speed and capacity of information-processing in the brain, changes which we might expect to lead to an increase in intelligence. Tests in Holland have given further support to this contention. Measuring a factor known as the ‘intelligence growth rate’ it was found that meditating schoolchildren increased significantly compared with a similar non-meditating control group.”

Bold is my emphasis. Take it easy. Do what you know you can do and leave the rest to the universe. You’ll find yourself relaxing and when you are relaxing, you’ll be clearer in your thinking.

Teda
Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

- Maori proverb
Lena

I love my life even though it's not perfect and I have to do work I don't want to do. I'm not sure why this year I've become more of a perfectionist in my school work. I think it's because I'm only trying to give what people expect of me. last year I wasn't expected to get straight A's...

Teda, I've been trying to get into the discipline of meditating regularly ever since I read TP for the first time. I know it would be good for me... I know I just need to start and stick with it.
Aisin

Lena, welcome back. Certain years of my schooling life had been excessively stressful too, I can imagine how you're feeling. You might not be getting out of the situation immediately, but one thing I'm sure of is, these stressful days are / will be great tools for us to reflect upon and learn our lessons in life. For short-term relief, other members have given very good ideas, and I think you're doing very well, by recognizing the stress and its effects on you, and dealing with them positively. I wish you to have more happy & relaxed moments everyday. Enjoy the volleyball sessions, great way to keep you sweating & sleeping well at night.