Global dimming

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

Leo

Global dimming

I have started a new thread on this topic merely for the fact I think it is as important as global warming. It has been mentioned before in this thread http://www.goldenplanetforum.com/viewto ... 4&start=15 but I will add the website again for those that missed it http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/program ... rans.shtml This transcript is from a BBC show that discusses the importance of global dimming and how it minimizes the effect of global warming.

http://www.uwa.edu.au/media/statements/ ... _to_cairns This page discusses the fact that Canberra will become more like Cairns (hot and humid) rather than Alice Springs (Hot and dry), due to global dimming.
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
Leo

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sun/dimming.html

Have a look at the slide show on this page, adds another perspective to the causes of global dimming... both natural and man made.
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
Lena

what is global dimming?
Rezo

I looked at that link last week, basically if I remember the idea is that because our noxious fumes block out the sun, the suns heat from its rays reach the earth less, thereby the earth gets, in effect, cooler - because global warmings effects are 'masked' by the blocking out of the sunlight.

So, in effect, removing pollutants, now, would cause that mask to go away, and cause much more global warming much faster, this is the concern of 'dimming' - that removing too much pollution too fast, would cause a type of rebound global warming much worse....

The question is, if this is true, how significant and for how much quick removal will occur? Have any mathematical models been proposed for this idea?
Robanan

As much as I understand Tom's theory global dimming was expected, so in effect the blanket which covers our planet seems to be established already, from now on the planet is isolated and heat is getting actively trapped on the surface of the planet while the blanket absorbs the heat of the sun. I expect global warming to grow slowly at the beginning and and grow much faster over time.
Lena

I had the impression that noixious fumes traped the heat in our atmosphere more than blocking it out. if we didn't have pollution the sunlight could bounce back more easily.
Rezo

lena youre right about that part. wasnt thinking enough when i wrote that.
survivor

weather in melbourne [out of whack] !

In Melbourne, (Victoria Australia) the weather is so consistently inconsistent. We are 10 weeks into spring, or 2 weeks away from summer. And today [15 nov-06] we had snow fall on the outskirts of the city. 6 weeks ago we had the hottest days registered for spring. And our drinking water dams are at their lowest!
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Zio

Here, in Quebec, there was NO SNOW ON CHRISTMAS!! I've never saw that before >_>. It just snowed today (26th december)... this is serious, because last year it was totally the contrary... If this is not sufficient for ppl to be not only conscious about our planet, but to ACTUALLY help it. Really. How many times did you throw your recyclable can in the garbage? how many times have you pick up paper on the floor to finally throw it in the recycling bin? How often have you had the courage to say to someone : "hey, don't throw that recyclable thing in the garbage, the recycling bin is there"... How much time do we need to have a recycling system in my apartment? XD?

And the real question is... have I done it too? Half way... but trying :D.
Lena

yes the weather has been very strange. I went outside in just a sweatshirt in the middle of december and it hasn't even snowed yet.... and I have to admit I'm enjoying this because I normally hate winter. but it also concerns me...
survivor

Zio wrote:Here, in Quebec, there was NO SNOW ON CHRISTMAS!!
Here in Australia, 2 months into summer, it SNOWED! Yes indeed, 1 week ago the Alpine forest's were on fire, 1 week later it snowed.

Also, Sweden this time of the year is usually around (-10) but currently is (+10) no snow.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature