(News Article)Al Gore's film on the perils of global warming

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Robanan

(News Article)Al Gore's film on the perils of global warming

UPDATED: 08:45, January 25, 2007
Gore comes out of global-warming wilderness with Oscar nomination

Who says politics is show business for ugly people?

An Inconvenient Truth, former US vice-president Al Gore's film on the perils of global warming, scored two Oscar nominations for best documentary feature and best original song.

While he is not technically a nominee the film's director, Davis Guggenheim, won the nod, as did singer Melissa Etheridge for the song I Need to Wake Up Gore said on Tuesday he was "thrilled" that his movie was honored.

"The film ... has brought awareness of the climate crisis to people in the United States and all over the world," Gore said in an e-mail statement. "I am so grateful to the entire team and pleased that the Academy has recognized their work. This film proves that movies really can make a difference."

Aides say the former vice-president plans to walk the red carpet with Hollywood's beautiful people at the Academy Awards ceremony next month.

Guggenheim said he was not expecting a nomination but welcomed the fresh attention from the Academy's recognition. He said he spoke to Gore and asked him: "Are you ready to go to the show?

"I think he's ready. For years he's been in the wilderness on global warming. Now he's ready for his grand walk. Now he's at the Academy Awards. It's a hero's return."

Speaking at Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on Tuesday night, Gore said he will not let the star treatment change him. He said his model will be Rin Tin Tin, because the dog was the same after his TV show as he was before it.

In a private meeting earlier with students from Augustana and area high schools, one asked Gore how it felt to be a movie star, of sorts.

"What do you mean 'of sorts'?" he fired back.

An Inconvenient Truth, which chronicles Gore's slide show on global warming, has been a critical and box office success, bringing in more than $24 million to make it the third highest-grossing documentary in history. A companion book has been on national best-seller lists for months.

Source: China Daily/Agencies
Robanan

Also check on http://www.fuelcelltoday.com/ an amazing site! Feel free to quote everything that may tick with you.
soulrider

Don't forget to see the movie and visit the site :wink: http://www.climatecrisis.net/
Always remember you're unique, like everybody else.
survivor

I saw this pic last year, I was impressed, But there could have been MORE info about climate change/global warming ...and LESS about Al Gore.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
sammyooba

Here's a recent vid. about the "Live Earth" Campaign

There's an annoying commercial at beginning

http://entimg.msn.com/i/ExperienceData/ ... SN43A03001

And here are easy ways to help the environment, just look at the picture, and click Next for 10 of them

http://www.liveearth.msn.com/le/photos/ ... SN43A03001
Essene

I agree with the notion that the film should of been less about him. He also should of included other scientists giving their opinion rather than aiming for a one man mission.

I also think it very hypocritical of a man living in mansion whose utility bills dwarf any normal persons to be preaching about global warming, especially by himself.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.