"Idiocracy"

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Eon

"Idiocracy"

I want to say a few words about this movie, not because I consider it to be a masterpiece or very exceptional movie, but still pretty entertaining and funny.. What's exceptional is how it was released..

Long story short, it is a comedy in which we see society on planet Earth after 500 years incredibly dumbed down. It is not by any means a realistic look in the future, it is just a way to make fun of things that are happening now. This movie also takes a few shots at corporations..

Now... the studios were all for this film until people from corporations that finance those studios took a look at it and threatened to cut the financing to even the future projects if this movie is released... So in the end director wasn't even allowed to make his final cut and movie got the most limited release possible, which means it was showed only in a couple of theaters, with NO advertising whatsoever. One movie critic said about this "It is a very weird release. I've never seen a studio releasing a movie and not wanting anyone to see it". Interestingly enough, a lot of people who have seen it really liked it, and and this movie is created by a well known creator, and all that really is needed to advertise it, is just mention his name and a few things he has done before.. They really could have made a lot of money on this movie, and I don't think they didn't know that.. This movie does not make any references to any conspiracy theories, so it is weird how it would be shut down just for the simple message "Don't be stupid"..
I thinks this means we are seeing a case of increasing censorship, while politics talk about "freedom"..
So part of the reason for me creating this thread is, I want this film to become a little more well known, because I really respect the director Mike Judge and his efforts.. Thanks to anyone who have bothered to read... :wink:
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
Rezo

whoa!

Hey Eon its funny you mention Idiocracy, I just saw it the other day. Someone I know told me I had to check it out, so I did. The corporate implication to the real world, is interesting. I didn't actually know about the censorship of the movie, though.

But a question. Did you notice a few of the condescending racial stereotypes? Perhaps I am reading into it but I thought about that. Below is a blog that discusses it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _2006.html&

Wasn't there an older movie that did something like the dystopic dumbed down oppressive future idea? So far I can only think of Futurama but that was a TV show.
Eon

I'm not saying there aren't any other movies like this.. There may be even lots of them. Only one I can remember now is "Soylent Green" , it's about a future drugged worker society, somewhat based on Huxley's "Brave New World". Here is a description of it
"A future where everyone has been crowded into cities which are polluted. The world corporation runs all legal food business system, etc. Euthanasia clinics are set up to dispense with those who have no will to go on in this miserable existence. The public are told no countryside exists outside the cities worth inhabiting and bodies are recycled as food for profit.".
This one is definitely not as funny though...
And I really didn't feel that way about a "racism" part...
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
Rezo

Oh yeah I nearly forgot about those.

Ive seen soylent green.....its amazing. A favorite of mine actually. I nearly forgot all about it as its been a while.
Eon

TempUser

This movie was FULL of advertisements in the most subliminal ways possible as well as the most blatant and ovbious. But still...a good movie...
It doesn't matter how many books you have read, how many lectures you have heard - What matters is what you actually UNDERSTAND from them today about the universe and your particular role in it" -Thomas J. Chalko
Eon

I'm not sure about it. All I saw there was shots taken at those industries. But I am not suggesting that I was the one who understood this movies better than you. Maybe you are right.
TempUser

Well It's really not that hard to see.
If you pay attention to the names in the court-scene(some other scenes as well that I can't remember). One of their names is a combination of restraunts or corporate industries. Some of them are simply just fast-food places. This is what I meant by subliminal...but they are there. I guess it's because I was in the mindset of looking for them but I have found subliminal advertisement in almost every movie now a days. Some of the advertising is not-so-subliminal however. Probably the ads in the backgrounds of the scenes you noticed.
If looked into you'd be surprised how much of our media has this.

Idk if you've seen "Josie and the Pussycats" but they have a bit of input on this and I guess that's one of the things that got me to notice hidden advertisements in movies, songs, tv-shows, in games, and almost anything consumer-related. It's a kind of marketing brainwashing(now with Bleach!) technique... I forget where I heard about it. Sounded like a conspiracy at the time until I checked it out myself. But anyway I also thought I should state that although some movies do appear to promote nothing more than complete ignorance...there are good concepts behind the theme and/or the story.
It doesn't matter how many books you have read, how many lectures you have heard - What matters is what you actually UNDERSTAND from them today about the universe and your particular role in it" -Thomas J. Chalko