Spirituality and Materialism Dependence

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Spirituality and materialism dependance

I would like to hear how people in this forum has successfully decrease their materialistic dependence (the dependence of money to buy something) on your living.
When I mean how, I also mean what
perceptions,thoughts and reasons that propel you to take such actions.

Cheers.
Vesko

Re: Spirituality and materialism dependance

My expenses are primarily for food, books and technology strictly related to conscious development. I do not buy trinkets and unnecessary toys of modern technology. Today's personal computer (PC) is quite a good and relatively affordable device for research and development work, so I use it whenever and wherever possible. I have been inspired by Michel's book to focus on only what is the most important in order to save time and energy for what really matters. That is why I strive for simplicity. I have understood that the best technology is within us and we are, in technical terms, ultra-upgradeable both mentally (spiritually) and physically through intensive positive mental effort, with the capacity for such effort found in practicing extreme rest (meditation and deep relaxation).
I try to eat vegetarian food (milk and eggs included) whenever I can, but I also eat chicken/poultry and fish from time to time. I love fresh vegetables and fruit. Regarding transportation, I don't like wandering and walk on foot whenever feasible. Regarding entertainment, I do not really have any expenses. I prefer serenity, walks in the park, soothing music, a good book, and a little TV from time to time. I don't buy newspapers.
The reason for all of the above is, that I simply do not feel well living the way most other people live. "Thiaoouba Prophecy" helped me immensely crystallize my thoughts and focus my efforts. But I'm living like that not because I just read it in the book, but because I actually feel living like that. Being economical seems logical and good to me, because I think we aren't built to require much physically.
Marcus

I buy almost always out of necessity or if I think it will inspire or help me spiritually. Very occasionally I will buy for entertainment ie, 1-2 DVD's a year.

I absolutely love nature and find myself almost always spending my weekends in a national park or some rural isolated area (quite common in Perth). I will even spend an hour or so in my tiny garden marvelling how quickly plants grow. Although boring to some, I feel it helps me in many ways.

Spending time with the right people is positive too. I've lost many friends due to the fact that the information in Thiaoouba Prophecy and The Freedom of Choice made so much sense to me.

Living simple, simplifies everything. Having "stuff" just doesn't matter, as most of you would agree. It makes no sense in buying items. In my late teens and early 20's I would just spend for spendings sake. Recently I had a spring clean and gave away almost everything I bought back then,(CD's/videos/books/games/gym equipment). It was just clutter that meant nothing.

My car is only used once or twice a week. Mainly for environmental reasons but also due to the fact cars are expensive to run. Mine runs on LPG which is about a third of the cost of regular unleaded. It is used for buying our weekly food and for taking us to beautiful places outside of the city.

I am a pure vegetarian for six months now. Money is saved from the purchase of expensive meat. I cope very well without meat, my partner became very ill without it so we do buy minimal amounts to suit her needs. I have noticed that I feel "cleaner" inside and I do not feel full all the time.

All of the above is very helpful in reducing my dependence on money.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
bomohwkl

It is interesting that we are able to control material world. Various interesting technology are avalaible which seem to be miracles 400 years ago. Ironically, I wonder how much we have improved in control of self. I wonder if we could apply such precision, accuracy and repeatable prodecure in controlling our self in self-development and spiritual development, it would an accelerated conscious evolution. However, our technology doesn't evolve from study by a single person. It is combination that bring the technology forward and becomes a material reality. I think if we can apply the way the technology evolve into our conscious evolution, we can have accelerated conscious evolution.
Probably we can initiate an unofficial Journal for people who have found ways to control certain part of conscioussness in a repeatable way.
Kestrel

Technology is only our enemy if we make it so. We really need to try hard to create things like the minato motor for home use ;)
Vesko

bomohwkl wrote:Probably we can initiate an unofficial Journal for people who have found ways to control certain part of conscioussness in a repeatable way.
I was thinking of using this forum as a discussion-place for learning and experiments. They would certainly need to be repeatable, as you say, so that they can be studied according to the scientific method.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?