A Lesson in Humilty with a Stranger.

Everyone is related to someone else even if neither one knows it. Here's a place to discuss aspirations toward the perfect relationships with our fellow beings.

Moderator: Moderators

ArioK

A Lesson in Humilty with a Stranger.

I A few years ago, I took a sightseeing trip to Washington, D.C. I saw many of our nation's treasures, and I also saw a lot of our fellow citizens on the street — unfortunate ones, like panhandlers and homeless folks.

Standing outside the Ronald Reagan Center, I heard a voice say, "Can you help me?" When I turned around, I saw an elderly blind woman with her hand extended. In a natural reflex, I reached in to my pocket, pulled out all of my loose change and placed it on her hand without even looking at her. I was annoyed at being bothered by a beggar.

But the blind woman smiled and said, "I don't want your money. I just need help finding the post office."

In an instant, I realized what I had done. I acted with prejudice — I judged another person simply for what I assumed she had to be.

I hated what I saw in myself. This incident re-awakened my core belief. It reaffirmed that I believe in humility, even though I'd lost it for a moment.

The thing I had forgotten about myself is that I am an immigrant. I left Honduras and arrived in the U.S. at the age of 15. I started my new life with two suitcases, my brother and sister, and a strong, no-nonsense mother. Through the years, I have been a dishwasher, roofer, cashier, mechanic and pizza delivery driver among many other humble jobs, and eventually I became a network engineer.

In my own life, I have experienced many open acts of prejudice. I remember a time, at age 17 — I was a busboy, and I heard a father tell his little boy that if he did not do well in school, he would end up like me. I have also witnessed the same treatment of family and friends, so I know what it's like, and I should have known better.

But now, living in my American middle-class lifestyle, it is too easy to forget my past, to forget who I am and where I have been, and to lose sight of where I want to be going. That blind woman on the streets of Washington, D.C., cured me of my self-induced blindness. She reminded me of my belief in humility and to always keep my eyes and heart open.

By the way, I helped that lady to the post office. And in writing this essay, I hope to thank her for the priceless lesson.

by Felipe Morales
" All that we are is the result of what we have thought" - Lord Buddha.... Think Love, Be Love.
ptex

Re: A Lesson in Humilty with a Stranger.

Wow!!! That's a very touching and inspiring story!! Really wonderful and goes exactly in the direction that many of us need to go. Many of my personal lessons have also been about humility and extending a helping hand when needed. Other lessons have shown that no matter how difficult something is, sometimes all we need to do is "hang in there" until we're through. Great revelations can come exactly after such an ordeal.

I have a clear vision that it's when we're able to connect with our hearts and do something significant and deep for others that something subtle and invisible "clicks" and we suddenly find how magnificently magical our existence can be :sunny:
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
soulrider

fantastic story Felipe, thanks for sharing... it just goes to show we're always tested :thumleft:
Always remember you're unique, like everybody else.
Zio

Good story sharing ^^

@others: this is not Ariok's own story btw. The "by Felipe" is to show that it's from another person XP.
Robanan

Touching and inspiring!
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
teradactyl

:thumleft: :thumright: love it. :)
Om Mani Padme Om