Hydrogen Technology

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

Lachie

Hydrogen technology

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think of hydrogen technology... I think the only viable solution to the world's pollution problems would be to modify our cars to run on hydrogen (there are some plans floating around the net) and then convert water into hydrogen and oxygen in our backyards (via a small solar powered converter). We then use the hydrogen to power cars, and stuff.

The main problem with this is getting sufficient power from the solar panels to convert the water into hydrogen. :idea: I don't think antigrav tech is realistic in our lifetimes sorry :(

It's something that could be conceivedly done by a backyward scientist i suppose. What do you guys think?

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Kestrel

Not sure, I dont know that much about it. I am however intrested in learning about it.

I think anything is a possibility for certin individuals. We are creative and it is not out of our graps if we can accept the maturity to use it to free ourselfs from perpetual abuse of our enviorment and our planet.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Vesko

As you know hydrogen cars are manufactured today as models/specimens, but not in industrial quantities. They have a steep price and you'd have problems refilling them :). Manufacture problems are efficient production of hydrogen (by electrolysis, etc.) and it's safe storage, since it's combustible (zeppelin explosions anyone?). I am sure though that those problems are not that great and manufacture would be quite cheap if everyone in the field was focused on hydrogen engines instead of marginally improving petrol/gas engines. I suspect also, that all the problems have been solved already, and it's more of a political and "keeping the status quo" problem than anything else -- as the book says.
I hope that something positive occurs by someone having the right technology and wanting to change the status quo.
Lachie, why do you think that antigravity technology is impossible in our lifetimes? Do you have any hard data proving that it is so difficult to discover and use? Perhaps it's within reach, but requires research in a different direction?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

In my country (The United States) we need some type of trigger to change this status quo. We need leaders of more calibur. ;) High Gas prices dont seem to be doing it. Sure the public now has a 3 year waitng list for Hybrid cars, but thats kind of odd isen't it. Theres a waiting list and certin manufactures still think that such cars would be unsellable / un popular, as I've heard said on Television.

As to concerns of danger. If you are willing to risk storing a petrol engine, then you carry the same risks with the hydrogen. Pretty much meaning, not to much to worry about.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Lachie

I wasn't really talking about buying a car, more like converting your current car to run on hydrogen instead of petrol. There were plans in a recent issue of Nexus magazine to do just that but it had the car running on water from a tank in the boot. The hydrogen atoms were split with energy coming from the car. This is a perpetual motion machine and breaks laws of thermodynamics, so it is probably bunk, but the theory behind running a car on split hydrogen seems to be sound.

Vesko I would like to believe that antigrav is within our reach but given the way our world works, the opposition of the scientific establishment, and the fact that there would be 1000 new lethal weapons of war made within 10 days of the discovery being made public makes me think that it won't happen very soon.

Of course, as long as we don't make any new weapons, I would love to be proven wrong.

On a side note I am considering selling my car and buying a motorbike. They are a far more efficient means of transport, which unfortunately I need for my work and my university studies.

Lachie
Zark

One of the major problems that is supposedly holding back hydrogen motor technology is that the gas is very dangerous, and difficult to handle.

One possible way to get around this might be to convert hydrogen into a more stable state. There was the story of "john titor" (quite a tale really) who suggested that it was quite useful to store the hydrogen as propane. Although this certainly is possible, I do not know how easy or practical it would be to do this.

I haven't read all the posts yet, so sorry if I repeat something..

with metta,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Zark

Lachie wrote:On a side note I am considering selling my car and buying a motorbike.
It is true they are much more efficient but... If you do buy one, then please take care, my sister works in a hospital where they like to call them "donor-cycles" due to the number of young men regularly killing themselves on motorcycles.

with metta,
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Lachie

Yep thats true :S Thats the main dissuaging factor, they are more dangerous. I have read the John Titor story too - i must admit it is very fascinating and entertaining. I don't know how true it is. What were your thoughts, Zark?

In actual fact storing hydrogen is not very dangerous in its natural state. it is about as flammable as propane. the hindenburg wen up in flames because the exterior of it was painted with a special paint that was essentially the same as rocket fuel - one spark and it would go up.

Lachie
Last edited by Lachie on Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zark

Lachie wrote: John Totir story too - i must admit it is very fascinating and entertaining. I don't know how true it is. What were your thoughts, Zark?
Not sure. But I have seen a pretty convincing analysis of one of his pictures that did persuade me (say 90%) that the story is probably a hoax. However, he did have plenty of practical post war advice, and the scenario with Israel being invaded followed by their usage of "the ultimate defense".. I thought that had a reasonable chance of occurring. However that stuff about civil war in USA ?!? It just doesn't seem possible.
In actual fact storing hydrogen is not very dangerous in its natural state. it is about as flammable as propane.
Really? is it more dangerous when compressed? I would imagine that a gas bottle could store much more propane than hydrogen.
Vesko

Here's what's written at http://www.hydrogennow.org/Facts/Safety-1.htm:
Hydrogen can be stored safely. Tanks currently in use for storage of compressed hydrogen (similar to compressed natural gas tanks) have survived intact through testing by various means, including being shot with six rounds from a .357 magnum, detonating a stick of dynamite next to them, and subjecting them to fire at 1500 degrees F. Clearly, a typical gasoline tank wouldn’t survive a single one of these tests.
That's definitely not what I've thought previously. It confirms that there is indeed a gas/petrol conspiracy and that the free market is curtailed.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

I seen on tv a car that was quote "in the future" while you drove it along, it was based upon Hydrogen Motor that it would take in air as part of a scoop and use it to power it some how I forget excactly what but it would also clean the air as well.

We could be correcting (some what I guess) our pollution.
Marcus

It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Zark

hi guys,
thanks for the great links (from marcus and vesko), they are definately worth checking out

with metta,
z
Vesko

No, Zark, Marcus' link is one of a kind.

According to the site, some Edison device incredible specs in summary:

-Requires 1 hour of power from outside source to become self sufficient.
-Aided by exposing chemicals to water that are contained within, lasting 10-20 years for average home use!
-Consumes 30 gallons of water over those 10-20 years!
-Should be widely available to consumers and businesses from licensed manufactures this year (2004).

Talk about reality stranger than fiction!

It is interesting how they say that petrol companies could use petrol for other products than general consumer fuel. Do you think that would see the light in the foreseeable future? To be available widely in 2004? The Not Found (404) pages on some secondary pages and especially the Internal server error on the pre-order forms tells me that 2004 may pass by without that. But I hope! At least the site seems updated regarding the research grants deadline (ended recently) for 2004.
Marcus

Vesselin,

I have known of this site for a couple of years and am itching to see mass production of such devices.

The biggest issue alternate energy sources have at the moment is integrating it within our current infrastructure. For example, wind farms require enormous amounts of land to be effective. Also in places like the Netherlands, sourcing a location for the wind farms could prove difficult, not only that but I would imagine they're loud and unsightly. Edison Technology requires no change in our current infrastructure set-up. The device itself seems to simple to be true - three wires to install!

I really hope that this technology and it's other related applications sees the light of day soon.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.