an exercise in discernment

A place to discuss matters of bygone times that are forgotten, but are recovered so that humanity is no longer condemned to repeat history as it so often does.

Moderator: Moderators

Rezo

an exercise in discernment

This is concerning a documentary I recently viewed concerning ancient historical anomalies, entitled "Ancient Aliens Debunked", in which many theories regarding the ancient past [primarily represented in the history channels 'ancient aliens' series], are refuted by a man named Chris White, who happens to be a young earth creationist.

The reason I post this, is to reiterate the importance of thinking for ourselves, and considering more than what we "feel" is sufficient information. Mr Whites assessment appears to stem from an investigation technique consisting primarily of deductive reasoning. I must admit he is quite logical, and knows what hes talking about. Yet something seems to be missing ... ?

In this documentary, the pyramids, nasca lines, puma punku, baalbek trilithon, and other megalithic sites as well as ezekiel's vision, and middle ages artwork that depict alleged ufos, are examined, to explain they are not 'otherworldly', or advanced like today in terms of technology, in any way whatsoever [except perhaps in terms of supporting jp houdins theory of the internal ramp freight elevator @ great pyramid. He is joined, by guest Michael Heiser [mideast scholar].

http://gilgamesh42.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... al-review/

I have watched the full movie, and find some of the presentations informative, however I do not see it, as a complete, or that accurate of an assessment, on ancient historical 'anomalies', by any means. Perhaps because I'm somewhat 'emotionally invested' in them being true enough to 'prove' things like extraterrestrial life, ancient high civilization surpassing our own in modern times [not necessarily caused by ET per se like many theories do, to be clear] - but, also, because of the possible [but not apparent in this video] bias involved which colors what *is* investigated in the video. Yet, Mr. White did preface the film by saying he is not averse to the existence of extraterrestrials [even though, he seems to follow the creationist bent on his website and the work he does there].

http://conspiracyclothes.com/nowheretorun/

Just thought of sharing this. Having recently [today] discovered him, though Ive heard of Michael Heiser and his work for some time, I felt it important to mention what ideas in the documentar are being put forward regarding such topics, and perhaps discuss the findings here. Does his explanation of the building of the great pyramid make sense? How about nasca lines? Or perhaps easter island moai - if Im not mistaken these are simply others opinions, which he has put together in a [not-so-concise] movie format [these are primarily my points of interest in this context].
Rezo

Re: an exercise in discernment

for example, nobody has built such a pyramid to scale or moai to scale, using such methods. on the flip side, the transportation of the thunder stone, was an interesting counterpoint example [even though this monument, is only for the purpose of showing st peter, riding on a horse, and not for some other purpose].

also known as 'bronze horseman'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Horseman
shezmear

One of the things I have learned on Earth.
There are some smart/dumb people on Earth.
They construct beautiful seemly well-established arguments and proofs for bogus information.
I guess another way to say it is "Having a bias makes you stupid" might be a better articulation.
Learned today they estimate there is 500.000.000 Earth like planets in the Galaxy. O.k that was 500 million not 500 thousand not 500. Yet talking of ETs will get you laughed at in most circles.
People of Earth seemed to be more interested in fitting in then associating themselves with the truth of the matter. Hell, maybe they just hate being alone and will go alone with anything to fit in. Whatever their excuses expect not only the absurd but to be attacked for saying anything contrary to the brainwash of the moment.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
ronald

Well said!
Rezo

indeed !! its not worth getting stuck in their muck. eh?

in a way its a good lesson in deciding what sort of info i feel comfortable sharing, when talking/interacting with different folks. what level of discussion it will be. that sort of thing.
joao vieira

I havent yet met anyone who has read TP or TFoC, that I know personally, so no i haven't experienced that kind of ridicule and dont think I will because im no expert in any of the matters and the best i can do is to advise some people that i see have some interest in knowing new things into reading the book, they never do.

As far as my opinion goes, perhaps not all but most people need catalyzing events ( death of a close relative, heart breaks so on ) just to start asking their selves some of the most important questions.