Gospel of Thomas 55

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Gospel of Thomas 55

Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be a follower of me and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters and bear the cross as i do will not be worthy of me"

Anyone know the meaning?
Vesko

It's obvious.
One must never follow the flock, even if one's closest people are in the flock. One must never let anything, even one's closest people, be a hindrance to one's spiritual evolution. Of course, this does not mean one must ignore the genuine needs of those people or try to develop at their expense, since it's also true one has to "Love thy neighbour" if one wants to advance and not regress by being egotistical.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
bomohwkl

I have the same idea of your interpretation but I kind of doubt it. Most likely the hate is originate from the lack of understanding and support from them on you when you have discovered the light.
Vesko

You may very well be right, but then 'hate' is not the right word. Could this be a mistranslation?
One may not like or approve what others are doing, but one may love them as human beings because one understands their mistakes, does not condemn them and acknowledges that such mistakes are possible and one is susceptible to them as well and probably has made them or can make them too in one's evolution.
However, one HATING others is clearly wrong however you look at it, unless, as I said, this is a mistranslation. If yourinterpretation is true, HATE must have a true meaning of NOT LIKE, NOT APPROVE, but not HATE as we use the verb today.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

I agree that translation is questionable. I wish we could verify this look into this.
Lachie

Your wish is granted :)

It was a mistranslation. Instead of 'hate' it should be 'set aside'.

From http://www.gospelthomas.com/gospelthomas55.html
This Q1 saying was first in Aramaic. The Greek MISEI in Aramaic is SANA which is an idiom for "set aside." The idiom was not transmitted in the Greek nor from Greek to Coptic. Setting aside one's family to follow Jesus makes much more sense.
- Jack Kilmon
Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Vesko

Thank you, Lachie!
Is this site you quote, how to say it, Tom Chalko-approved or recommended, in regard to the entire text, so to speak? I ask, because I remember he has studied the text a lot and warns against certain translations.
Can I read anything reliable that is available online or do I need to look for the recommended translation?
Marcus

Can I read anything reliable that is available online or do I need to look for the recommended translation?
Not complete works: http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davie ... /Trans.htm
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Vesko

Thanks, Marcus!
Lachie

I don't know whether it is official Tom Chalko Approved (tm) Stamp of Approval, Special Gold Seal... it did not have the "Wisdom Inside!" logo on the front :P I did not receive my Guarantee of Enlightenment Official Sticker and Certificate. heh heh heh...

No, i don't think it is the Mavin W. Meyer translation that Tom favours, but on the site I presented there are three different translations. None of these differ really significantly from the Meyer one, besides a few semantics ("child of humanity" instead of the "Son of Man"). It is really fascinating to read.

I think I will get a tattoo of Saying 2 or saying 49 on my chest in the original coptic. Its such beautiful spidery writing, I love it.

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Vesko

Lachie wrote:I don't know whether it is official Tom Chalko Approved (tm) Stamp of Approval, Special Gold Seal... it did not have the "Wisdom Inside!" logo on the front :P I did not receive my Guarantee of Enlightenment Official Sticker and Certificate. heh heh heh...

No, i don't think it is the Mavin W. Meyer translation that Tom favours, but on the site I presented there are three different translations. None of these differ really significantly from the Meyer one, besides a few semantics ("child of humanity" instead of the "Son of Man"). It is really fascinating to read.
And it doesn't have a Mail-In Spiritual Rebate?

Tom appears to have studied it a lot, so I'm inclined to take his word. I did expect funny comments on Tom Approved (tm) but that was a short way to put it :). And I'll not limit myself and will build my own opinion. Thanks for the information.