Good Quotes (Not Necessarily from the Book)

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Aisin

It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui. ~ Hellen Keller
Yothu

Moderator note: The quote has sparked a discussion on the topic "Voltaire: 'I have never made but one prayer to God, a...'" in the "Unlocking the Lessons in Recent History" forum.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Lena

"horniness is sadness, and sex is crying"

-my good friend, Renae. Sne had issues with crying in front of people before I went super empath on her and we cried together.
bomohwkl

GOD SEEN THROUGH THE EYES OF THE GREATEST MINDS

"I'm not much with people, and I'm not a family man. I want my peace. I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomena in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts the rest are details." -Albert Einstein

“I am content to bear the reproach; yet, even in earthly matters, I believe that the invisible things of Him from the creation of the worlds are clearly seen, being understood by the things which are made, even his eternal power and Godhead.” -Faraday

“God could have made birds with bones of massive gold, with veins full of molten silver, with flesh heavier than lead and with tiny wings . . . He could have made fish heavier than lead, and thus twelve times heavier than water, but He has wished to make the former of bone, flesh, and feathers that are light enough, and the latter as heavier than water, to teach us that He rejoices in simplicity and facility.”-Galileo

"For there is no other way (without revelation), to know God but by the manifestations in nature." -Newton
trumpet_is_cool

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."  Mother Theresa  

Moderator note: The quote has sparked a discussion on the topic "Judging Others" in the "General Spirituality and Healing" forum.
Yothu

A father was talking to the embryo of his child and said, "My Beloved, out here there is a night sky full of a million galaxies. In the daytime, when the sun shines, we don't see any stars but it's so beautiful with oceans, trees, land and animals." The embryo answered, "You are hallucinating my father, there is nothing like that in the wolrd that I am in."

- Rumi
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Vesko

From http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/1 ... 0-01.shtml, "Wisdom of the Himalayas Gains Western Popularity", 1989. The emphasis in bold mine:
Swami Rama's students and well-wishers characterize their teacher as "selfless." Swami Rama says selflessness is simply the result of successful yoga practice.

Swami Rama does not openly acknowledge Hinduism as the source of his esoteric knowledge. In fact, he claims that all religions are "short-sighted" and that Truth is the only valid spiritual goal.

"All the great religions of the world have come out of one Truth," he asserts. "If we follow religion without practicing the Truth, it is like the blind leading the blind. Those who belong to God love all. Love is the universal religion."

Perhaps one of the swami's most revealing accounts details his last meeting with his own Himalayan master (who is curiously never mentioned by name throughout Swami Rama's many verbal and written teachings.) At that meeting the master gave Swami Rama some advice before sending him off to America on a spiritual mission. "Though these cultures live in the same world with the same purpose, they are each extreme," his master proclaimed. "Both East and West are still doing experiments on the right ways of living. The message of the Himalayan masters is timeless and has nothing to do with the primitive concepts of the East and West. Extremes will not help humanity to attain the higher step of civilization. Inner strength, cheerfulness and selfless service are the basic principles of life."
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Robanan

Subject: The Parable of Life

A carrot, an egg and a cup of coffee. . . .You will
never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.
>>
>> >>
>>
A young woman went to her mother and told her
about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did
not know how she was going to make it and wanted to
give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It
seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.
>>
>> >>
>>
Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three
pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon
the pots came to boil. In the first she placed
carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the
last she placed
and boil, without saying a word.
>>
>> >>
>>
In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners.
She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl.
She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.
Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.
Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me, what do
you see?"
"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.
Her mother
brought her closer and asked her to feel the
carrots.She did and noted that they were soft. The mother
then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After
pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled
egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the
coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The
daughter then asked,"What does it mean, mother?"
>>
>> >>
>>
Her mother explained that each of these objects had
faced the same adversity .. boiling water.
Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard,
and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the
boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg
had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected
its liquid interior, but after sitting through the
boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground
coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in
the boiling water, they had changed the water.
>>
>> >>
>>
"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"
>>
>> >>
>>
Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems
strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt
and become soft and lose my strength? Am I the egg that
starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the
heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a
breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial,
have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look
the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with
a stiff spirit and hardened heart?
>>
>> >>
>>
Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually
changes the hot water, the very circumstance
that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases
the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean,
when things are at their worst, you get better and
change the situation around you. When the hour is the
darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate
yourself to another level? How do you handle
adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?
>>
>> >>
>>
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow
to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.
>>
>> >>
>>
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best
of everything; they just make the most of everything
that comes along their way. The brightest future
will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go
forward in life until you let go of your past failures
and heartaches.
-Author unknown
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Vesko

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
-Albert Einstein
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Vesko

The secret of happiness is this: let your interests be as wide as possible, and let your reactions to the things and persons that interest you be as far as possible friendly rather than hostile.
-Bertrand Russell
Bastian

Danger of science

"Yet the promise of this life is imperiled by the very genius that has made it possible. Nations amass wealth. Labor sweats to create, and turns out devices to level not only mountains but also cities. Science seems ready to confer upon us as its final gift the power to erase human life from this planet." -- President Dwight D. Eisenhower (First inaugural address, 1953)
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching
Vesko

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
bomohwkl

Look deep,deep into nature and then you will understand everything better.- Albert Einstein
InfoSource

Here just some random quotes I found interesting:

A stupid man repeats his mistakes, an intelligent man learns from his mistakes, and a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
-(Author unknown)

Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials.
-Lin Yutang

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential.
-Liane Cardes

"God is intelligent; but in what manner? Man is intelligent by the act of reasoning, but the supreme intelligence lies under no necessity to reason. He requires neither premise nor consequences; nor even the simple form of a proposition. His knowledge is purely intuitive. He beholds equally what is and what will be. All truths are to Him as one idea, as all places are but one point, and all times one moment."
-J. J. Rousseau, "A Savoyard Vicar" (Harvard Classics, Vol. 34, p. 267)

In order for life to have appeared spontaneously on Earth, there first had to be hundreds of millions of protein molecules of the Ninth Configuration. But, given the size of the planet Earth, do you know how long it would take for just one of these protein molecules to appear by chance? Roughly 10 to the 243rd power, billions of years; and I find that far, far more fantastic than simply believing in a god.
-, The Ninth Configuration (movie)

Enlightenment is a sublime word, if one goes back to its meaning; it means illumination of the spirit through truth, liberation from the shadows of error, or uncertainty, of doubt. Enlightenment is, in its deepest meaning, the transfiguration (Verklärung) of reason.
-Paul Leopold Haffner
Vesko

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
-George Bernard Shaw