Trade and Barter System?

Do you want to change our current monetary system? Do you want to be involved in a project to INSPIRE billions of people by providing CONTRAST through EXAMPLIFYING yourself that a prosperous civilisation can be founded based on UNIVERSAL LAWS?

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Trade and Barter System?

How to we trade with outside world?
Vesko

By selling goods to the outside world, no other way is possible. Most of the food could be produced locally, but of course the community cannot be expected to be completely self-sufficient. Self-sufficiency can be maximized by minimizing the number of things that each of us has privately. For example, do we all really need to have our own TV? In addition, earned money from outside must be shared by dividing them equally among all members of the society. Of course, the seven people at the head would be able to dedicate funds to special needs, but they would too personally get the same share as everyone else.
Michel Desmarquet wrote that "The Israeli 'kibbutz' functions perfectly".
Maybe he was not told that explicitly by the Thiaooubans, because he should have said "The Israeli traditional 'kibbutz' functions perfectly". A lot of present-day kibbutzes (someone have the precise percentage?) have unfortunately departed far from the original highly communal version and have become "privatized", i.e. certain individual needs are only met by the individuals having them, not the community; money are not divided equally, and other such negative phenomena.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Aisin

In addition, earned money from outside must be shared by dividing them equally among all members of the society.
I'm not saying that each individual should retain selfish (and fatal) attachement to money, but this may not be an optimum solution. Reminds me of communism...

and based on what priciples do people decide that when / how frequent / how much each has to 'earn' from outside? if everyone is so busy working hard for his/her spiritual advancement, u can't really tell them to stop & go out to earn some $ back. i'm focusing on 'sustainability'.. i assume that in the initial establishment, the members would have all accumulated some savings of their own. so initially $ & sharing wouldn't be a problem.

let's say the 1st generation of such community are able to contribute $ & share well equally. but what about the subsequent generations? in other topics we talk abt education for children, so we're assuming there might be subsequent generations. being raised in a 'good community' may enhance their spiritual development. but learning how to earn money in the existing world (which for them is the outside world) may be something that's hard to teach the children in the community, since it sort of contradicts with what is taught to them, and sounds like hypocrisy at work.

somehow this discussion also reminds me of a fictional story, the movie 'the beach'. their community didn't work, because they did not have 'quality control' over the inidividual's spirituality..
dundee

obstacles to consider

Someone mentioned the community from the movie Beach and how it failed and I think it's an extremely good point to make in this discussion. You see me too I think that creating a new society, better than the current one by its values and direction would be a great thing. However I am extremely skeptical about the chances of success of any attempt ressembling that of the community from the beach movie. Countless no. of cases, especially the hippies from the 60s and early 70s have tried setting up new communities in various parts of the world and most of them have always miserably failed. Any attempt to build a new society based on
"couple of city kids running to the woods with a near caveman like life style in mind" is, in my opinion condemned to failure. Why ? First of all because complete self sufficiency requires in depth knowledge and mastery of certain skills that most city people lack completely. I'm talking about farming and agriculture here and I'm also talking about basic construction skills like carpentery and/or masonary. Without good knowledge of these any attempt of creating new society is doomed even with the best intentions. And that just the very basic basics. Now comes the obvious and inevitable decrease in comfort and technological commodities that would certainly occur and the question is how many people would be able to endure it. For how long ? Would they ever get out of it? How ? To install technology from the outside world you need to aquire it first . So money comes necessarily into the picture cause noone would just give it for free. How would you get money ? Someone said by selling products to the outside world. But what products ? What would you produce ? How ? Agricultural ones ? And would their quantity be sufficient to feed you AND save some for next years sowing AND have still enough to sell to get ENOUGH money to aquire certain devices that would improve the quality of life ? And I could go on like that for hours. I am sorry if I sound too pesimistic but these are questions that have to be asked and mainly answered BEFORE any attempt is made otherwise the outcome will be yet another failure.
Lena

maybe instead of selling things to the outside world people could work at the place which holds the things our community would need. for example, if we needed farming or building supplies, people could be sent to work for a couple weeks at the factory where those things are made, then instead of recieving a paycheck, they'd get the product instead. I'm sure some employers would agree to this, since financially it's a pretty good deal for them. also, this way we wouldn't have to pay any income tax.
Vesko

Yes, I said above no other way is possible but actually as much as the outside word accepts barter, whether we trade with goods or services, we use that, just like we do within the community! I read barter is taxed just like cash exchanges, though, so we cannot skimp on taxes.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Lena

Vesko wrote:I read barter is taxed just like cash exchanges, though, so we cannot skimp on taxes.
for what country? as far as I know that is not the case in USA. almost no one uses the trade/barter system, though.
Vesko

Don't know worldwide, but some time ago I think I read that barter is not taxed. Your first post on this topic has prompted me to check, and I have found the following about the US (http://www.entrepreneur.com/mag/article ... 2-,00.html):
Contrary to popular belief, barter carries no inherent tax advantages. The IRS regards barter exchanges as the same as cash deals, says IRTA executive director Krista Vardabash. "It's taxed just like income," says Vardabash. "One barter dollar is equal to one U.S. dollar."
bomohwkl

Contrary to popular belief, barter carries no inherent tax advantages. The IRS regards barter exchanges as the same as cash deals, says IRTA executive director Krista Vardabash. "It's taxed just like income," says Vardabash. "One barter dollar is equal to one U.S. dollar."
One barter dollar?? Something not right. Can I have two barter dollar worth of vegetable in exchange of one barter dollar of sugar? With this label, barter dollar is just another kind of currency.
Last edited by bomohwkl on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vesko

I think it is right. The IRS deal with money so they determine the monetary value of each barter deal, and the dollars representing that value are called barter ones to distinguish them from ones exchanged in a non-barter deal.
Robanan

Can we develop a simple Economy computer game based on barter system?
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.