Evidence of Design in the Universe

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

Evidence of Design in the Universe

The evidence is everywhere. Last night I saw a pretty good example, and just had to mention it:

From BBC's "Stephen Hawkings Universe"
Alan Guth. Professor of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

"If one talks about the universe at a time of about one second after the big bang; this tuning, this precise fixing of the expansion rate had to be done to an accuracy of about 15 decimal places. If the universe just expanded one part in the 15th decimal place faster than we thought it had, it would fly apart without galaxies ever having a chance to form. If the universe at one second after the big bang were expanding with one number less than the 15th decimal place then what we thought then the universe would collapse before galaxies ever had a chance to form."
velocity = 0.984206872967898 * 10^k.. oops too hot
velocity = 0.984206872967896 * 10^k.. oops too cold
velocity = 0.984206872967897 * 10^k.. ahhh just right :wink:

Also, whilst watching this series they had a picture of the layout of galaxies in the universe. The galaxies created a honeycomb structure, or 'soap bubbles' as they liked to call it. OK, this structure may not be proof (as far as we know), but it was fascinating to see!.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Yothu

On another forum I read the following:
To state that the world came into existence by chance is saying that an infinite number of monkeys typing into an infinite number of computers would eventually produce Windows XP....... (and they did ;))
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Meedan

Re: Evidence of Design in the Universe

Zark wrote:The evidence is everywhere. Last night I saw a pretty good example, and just had to mention it:
velocity = 0.984206872967898 * 10^k.. oops too hot
velocity = 0.984206872967896 * 10^k.. oops too cold
velocity = 0.984206872967897 * 10^k.. ahhh just right :wink:
I don't think this particular example is really evidence of design. If things like this were any different, we wouldn't exist to note these things. Everything MUST have been just right, since we exist. So, it is just as likely that this universe - perfect conditions for life - would randomly appear, as it is that any other universe would randomly appear.
With Love
Vesko

I think that we can't use the velocity caused by the Big Bang as an evidence for design, because, as I understand Meedan, such a universe may be the result of a completely random process. Do we have the slightest idea what laws there are beyond this universe? No. Also, what if our universe is a result of a random process which has generated so many universes that one of them would be our own featuring life support? Even if the laws of the beyond are the same, perhaps the abovementioned random process executed long enough as to eventually produce a good result -- our universe? Is that possible, too? Yes.

What do you think?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

Certinly its tough to prove anything to certin people ;)
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Zark

When I heard about it I was pretty astounded by the accuracy required *just* for galaxies to form. Perhaps its good evidence and perhaps its not.. not enough evidance to stand on its own, but evidence none the less. Just one little piece of an intricately designed jigsaw puzzle.

The probability of hitting just the right speed is rediculously small (errr, I imagine it is, but really I don't think the probability can be measured). Imagine trying to throw a ball so that it landed exactly 21.9425678994384 meters from you. Hmm, I am pretty sure that the probability of a Big Bang happening spontaneously by pure chance is also pretty small ;).

Well, I hope you guys can post some better examples then. That's what this thread is about..

cheers
z
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Vesko

Zark, there was nothing wrong with your example or Alan Guth's example, but it cannot really convince a scientist of the existence of God. I wonder if Alan Guth, a scientist himself, realizes it.

Since we don't have an idea what lies beyond the universe, we don't have an idea how it has been created, and one of the theoretical possibilities is that we could very well be the result of a random process as described above.
Once you assume that there MAY be a Creator, indeed He/She must have incredible intelligence.

One of the first statements on which the entire "The Freedom of Choice" book hinges on is the following:

"GREAT Intellect had to exist FIRST -- before any Life in the Universe came to existence"

It is a false * statement because theoretically there's nothing stopping the universe from just "happening" with all its evident complexity. Note -- theoretically. We can say nothing with our present Earthly knowledge about what the case is in practice, but in any case saying that something is complex doesn't mean that it requires intelligence to be built. Of course, if humans had to build it, it would require intelligence, because *inside* this universe, there seems to be no way for a random process to generate life -- yet our knowledge of our universe is so little that science doesn't even know that for sure and "The National Geographic" continues to report on people getting PhDs by "advancing" a version of Darwin's theory.
We simply know nothing, and the people of Thiaoouba are right that we know nothing of Nature [, Michel :) ].

Added on October 16, 2005:
Only the * character above, and the following paragraph have been added:

* In retrospect, I realize that I should certainly not have said that the book statement is false, but that it is not justified well. However, I am not yet satisfied with my own explanations why (some are posted on this topic).
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

Vesko wrote: One of the first statements on which the entire "The Freedom of Choice" book hinges on is the following:

"GREAT Intellect had to exist FIRST -- before any Life in the Universe came to existence"

It is a false* statement because theoretically there's nothing stopping the universe from just "happening" with all its evident complexity. Note -- theoretically. We can say nothing with our present Earthly knowledge about what the case is in practice, but in any case saying that something is complex doesn't mean that it requires intelligence to be built.
TFOC does not claim to have absolute knowledge - which is impossible for anyone with a subjective perspective anyway. You'll see that TFOC is in the form of questions to the reader . This means that it is about what makes the most sense to you, which is the best we can ever hope for.
But it is a false** statement because theoretically there's nothing stopping the universe from just "happening" with all its evident complexity.
Of course, since everything is possible. Since the book is asking questions though, it is talking about what makes the most sense, or what is most likely. What TFOC goes on to show is that it is much more likely that an intellect (or a small awareness) would appear from nothing than it is that any kind of matter or universe would. Tom knows that the chances of an intellect coming from nothing are probably infinitely small, but they are also much much higher than that of a universe or matter.

As his book says, you can only prove something to yourself. Nobody else can prove anything to you. This is why it is in the form of questions.

Added on October 16, 2005 by a moderator on behalf of Vesko with respect to Vesko's quotes in this post:
Only the * and ** characters above, and the following paragraph have been added:

*, ** In retrospect, I realize that I should certainly not have said that the book statement is false, but that it is not justified well. However, I am not yet satisfied with my own explanations why (some are posted on this topic).

Addition by VeskoP.
With Love
Vesko

Meedan wrote:TFOC does not claim to have absolute knowledge - which is impossible for anyone with a subjective perspective anyway. You'll see that TFOC is in the form of questions to the reader . This means that it is about what makes the most sense to you, which is the best we can ever hope for.
Tom claims that the book is a proof (see below this paragraph) and also mathematical precision for the "intellect first" prerequisite that we are discussing. His book is touted as containing absolute, non-subjective conclusions. "You may say that this probability is infinitesimally small and it is not quite zero. In this case, let's focus on the scenario that is an infinite number more probable", he writes, but nothing of it holds up when one thinks about it. I would expect otherwise from a book tackling such a grand question -- it should either provide some scientific data supportive of the statement or contain no such statements at all. To put forth the argument about intelligence as a mandatory prerequisite for life, one needs to rely on something more than simply "what makes sense" without any verifiable data or evidence for it. With sufficient verifiable knowledge, you can have the absolute knowledge that God does or doesn't exist. The best we can ever hope for is what makes most sense to the reader? No, the best we can hope for is a final, absolute, indisputable proof that God actually exists.

Regarding Tom's claim that the book is a proof, at http://www.thefreedomofchoice.com it is stated:
For the first time in the history of humanity on Earth The Purpose of existence of the entire Universe has been expressed and proven explicitly in writing for everyone to understand.
I've bolded "proven" -- Tom says it is a *proof*, which it is definitely not.
Of course, since everything is possible. Since the book is asking questions though, it is talking about what makes the most sense, or what is most likely. What TFOC goes on to show is that it is much more likely that an intellect (or a small awareness) would appear from nothing than it is that any kind of matter or universe would. Tom knows that the chances of an intellect coming from nothing are probably infinitely small, but they are also much much higher than that of a universe or matter.
The only thing we know for sure is that anything *may be* possible *outside* the universe.
How exactly did he show what is more likely? The statement "Great Intellect had to exist FIRST" relies on common sense and nothing else, and only our common sense makes a universe less likely than an intellect, nothing else. Tom says "From our experience, we have to conclude that a house cannot just build itself. The probability of a house creating itself is ZERO". The statement is true. But "our experience" is totally irrelevant when it is applied to the external environment. If Tom happens to know that the chances of an intellect coming from nothing are infinitely small, but are much higher than that of an universe, he has simply NOT written it in his book. Too bad that in a lot of people it leaves a false certainty that God actually exists.
Meedan

Vesko wrote: Tom claims that the book is a proof (see below this paragraph) and also mathematical precision for the "intellect first" prerequisite that we are discussing. His book is touted as containing absolute, non-subjective conclusions.

Yes, I see Tom writes the word proven at the start of his description of the book. I agree that for people who do not know much about philosophy, that statement can be misleading... until you read the book itself. When I read the book, I got the distinct impression, from pages like Page 12, that Tom is saying that you cannot prove anything to anyone else, you can only prove something to yourself. Even so, I may email Tom to ask him about his use of the word 'prove'.

Have you emailed Tom and tried to resolve some of your problems with the book?
How exactly did he show what is more likely? The statement "Great Intellect had to exist FIRST" relies on common sense and nothing else, and only our common sense makes a universe less likely than an intellect, nothing else. Tom says "From our experience, we have to conclude that a house cannot just build itself. The probability of a house creating itself is ZERO". The statement is true. But "our experience" is totally irrelevant when it is applied to the external environment. If Tom happens to know that the chances of an intellect coming from nothing are infinitely small, but are much higher than that of an universe, he has simply NOT written it in his book. Too bad that in a lot of people it leaves a false certainty that God actually exists.
You are right, he did not explicitly mention the statements about the different likelihoods in this book. I am thinking of his Chance or Choice article, which he calls The Sequel to TFOC http://nujournal.net/choice.html . However, the main information is in TFOC: Page 15 talks about how intellect can develop itself (suggests that mind is opposite of matter and its entropy laws). This idea itself should set off alarm bells in some people and have them start thinking about some of the ideas found in the sequel.
To put forth the argument about intelligence as a mandatory prerequisite for life, one needs to rely on something more than simply "what makes sense" without any verifiable data or evidence for it. With sufficient verifiable knowledge, you can have the absolute knowledge that God does or doesn't exist. The best we can ever hope for is what makes most sense to the reader? No, the best we can hope for is a final, absolute, indisputable proof that God actually exists.
It is impossible for us to EVER have final, absolute, indisputable proof of ANYTHING. We cannot prove anything that we experience through our senses, it could all be a dream/trick/illusion. We cannot prove anything from our logic or mind, our logic could also be interfered with/dictated.

The best we can hope for is what makes sense to us, this includes making sense of observations ("data or evidence") about the universe. Making sure that everything we observe and understand about the universe is coherent.

I'd like to hear your input on the things I talk about in the other topic on this forum "The Freedom of Choice". :lol:
With Love
Bastian

"But, after all, who knows, and who can say
whence it all came, and how creation happened?
The gods themselves are later than creation,
so who knows truly whence it has arisen? ("Indian" 30)"

It seems we are all in agreement with the Rig Veda here. The critical mind was not invented in the 20th century eh?

This is a fascinating document that talks about the various Creation myths in the world, and is where I found the above quotation:
http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~dvess/i ... ealone.htm

NB: The document cited as 'Indian' is in fact:
>> "The Rig Veda and the Brhadaranyaka Upanishad. Leeming 29-31."
Vesko

Meedan wrote:Have you emailed Tom and tried to resolve some of your problems with the book?
No, because I was realized I have the problem only after I read your first post on this topic (i.e. you helped me reach the conclusion, thank you!), and because Tom hasn't replied to a couple of previous letters I've sent to him this year. He must be very busy.
It is impossible for us to EVER have final, absolute, indisputable proof of ANYTHING.
I can now see that we are both talking about the same thing. In the purest philosophical sense of the term absolute, yes, there is nothing absolute. But in practice there exists this notion of absolute as something universally proven and verified beyond any reasonable doubt. So, point taken!
We cannot prove anything that we experience through our senses, it could all be a dream/trick/illusion. We cannot prove anything from our logic or mind, our logic could also be interfered with/dictated.
That's right. I don't remember which philosopher wrote that while all of reality could be an illusion, if we live in it as if we are in an illusion, we will experience all sorts of problems. So I think that while we cannot prove anything as to be sure that our proof would never break, we better make the effort and arrive at it as close as we can get.
I'd like to hear your input on the things I talk about in the other topic on this forum "The Freedom of Choice". :lol:
Ok.
Meedan

Vesko wrote: That's right. I don't remember which philosopher wrote that while all of reality could be an illusion, if we live in it as if we are in an illusion, we will experience all sorts of problems. So I think that while we cannot prove anything as to be sure that our proof would never break, we better make the effort and arrive at it as close as we can get.
Yep, "Believing isn't enough, you need to KNOW". Forever on the path to knowledge (even if we may never reach it absolutely).

The description of TFOC that I think fits best was something like "Imagine a book that explains the purpose of existence, and you agree with it!" but I can't remember where I read that description though.
With Love
Vesko

Meedan wrote:The description of TFOC that I think fits best was something like "Imagine a book that explains the purpose of existence, and you agree with it!" but I can't remember where I read that description though.
It seems you are thinking of what is currently at http://www.thefreedomofchoice.com:
Imagine a book that explains the Purpose of Your own Existence and YOU totally agree with it...
Off topic: once I remember that you preferred the forum thegoldenplanetforum.com, but most people (including myself) voted for the shorter name. Just by chance, I recently found out that http://www.freedomofchoice.com had been taken by someone else, and I think it is likely that Tom registered the longer address because of that, otherwise he might have registered the shorter name. They registered the address in January 1999, before Tom, who did it in May 2000 (from WHOIS records).
Meedan

nope, that wasn't me. I always preferred goldenplanetforum.com, the shorter version.
With Love