The Theory of Evolution

Discussion on technology and how it could be used to assist spiritual development and NOT enslave us. This includes technology that will help us live in harmony with Nature (e.g.: "Lifter" technologies that could replace the petrol driven engine). Also, discussion of past and current scientific thought so that gems are not buried in the sands of time, and spiritual progress through science is achieved.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

Meedan wrote:
Vesko wrote:Modern science has found that observed mutations have produced not even one single protein
That doesn't sound right. I thought proteins replicate themselves at every new life? I'll have to check it out. Never fear, Meedan is on the case. :D
It is right. Proteins cannot be replicated if there was no life to begin with. Since life itself is built of proteins, proteins must have "happened" somehow, and according to evolution that would be through purely random changes (mutations) in non-living matter.
Meedan wrote:
Vesko wrote:I see now. You are right that my argument about the eye is weak in this form. Perhaps there are other similar arguments about it. The main one I'll resort to right now is provided below.
Well, that example showed that, actually, any argument you have shouldn't even mention a specific organ anymore.
No, you are wrong -- here's a counterexample: the first protein (protein also present in all living things and in all fossils of dead organisms. We can thus state that all life requires protein in order to exist.).

To illustrate why, let us first precisely define the term natural selection. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection as quoted from Darwin's own book:
Natural selection can be expressed as the following general law (taken from the conclusion of The Origin of Species):

IF there are organisms that reproduce, and
IF offspring inherit traits from their progenitor(s), and
IF there is variability of traits, and
IF the environment cannot support all members of a growing population,
THEN those members of the population with less-adaptive traits (determined by the environment) will die out, and
THEN those members with more-adaptive traits (determined by the environment) will thrive
The result is the evolution of species.
For the purpose of the argument, note that if only one of the conditions (the IFs) is false, natural selection is not going to happen. So now let's draw the parallel between the eye and the protein to make the conclusion that you can actually use a specific structure (or organ) for a scientifically rigorous argument:

A mutated eye, i.e. a different eye may have or may not have an advantage in its function, seeing, over the original eye becase then either the eye functions worse or functions better, making an organism more capable (if the eye function the same, the eye is not different, so that case is covered). So, after there is an actual difference, natural selection can kick in and operate on the difference between the two eyes, determining whether it is an advantage or not, and relegate or promote the organism with the mutated eye.

In contrast, a mutated non-protein can have an advantage in regard to the function 'producing life' over the original non-protein, only if the mutation has converted the formed into a protein. In the other case, it would have become a different non-protein than the original one, and it won't have any advantage or disadvantage over the other in regard to producing life, because neither of them can produce life (by serving as its building blocks) because they are non-proteins. Since the former case is impossible to occur by pure chance, we discard it (it doesn't matter). In the other, the latter case, there would be no difference between the two non-proteins from the point of natural selection, and without difference ("varieability of traits"), natural selection cannot operate.
That article! Oh my God. That is the most pathetic article I have ever seen. Even when I was firmly anti-evolution, I would NEVER have accepted the rubbish coming out of that article! I don't think the author of that article knows what he is talking about at all.
Don't be so harsh on the author. How about writing an article about evolution yourself first and put it on a public page for everyone to inspect?
First of all, this article is attempting (and terribly failing) to discuss abiogenesis, not evolution. This is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about evolution, about 'more-complex' species forming from 'less-complex' ones.
First of all, while abiogenesis is technically not part of the theory of evolution, it is inextricably tied with it. Non-living matter to living matter is still evolution of matter. Second, you fail to realize that even the simplest form of life is already very complex. You have to show how you got from non-living matter to the simplest living. How do you propose that to happen when all living things are composed of protein, they cannot exist without it. Without protein, there is no life, that's that. You have to have protein first. That is why the author discusses the chances of forming the first protein as a main point.
In that pathetic calculation, the author doesn't even factor in the most important part, natural selection, even though he later mentions it.
Again, it is impossible for natural selection to play any role before the formation of the first protein.
We have already stated that all life requires protein in order to exist. At the start of the game of producing life, we have non-protein (random jumble of matter).

Then:

1. For building life, the difference (advantage or disadvantage) of a non-protein over a different non-protein is none.
2. The difference (disadvantage) of a non-protein over a protein is not to be able to build life.
3. The difference (advantage) of protein over non-protein is to be able to build life.

So, from the above it becomes evident that until we get the first protein, natural selection cannot operate.
I'm not an expert on abiogenesis (is anyone?), but even I know that it is ridiculous to use a probability of a modern protein! :lol:
You are laughing, but the word "modern" which you use does not appear in the entire article. The author did not compare based on age, which would have bee a faulty comparison, of course.
If anyone thinks this article is a good argument, it shows that they do need to learn about evolution - as I had to.
We all have to learn not only about evolution.
EDIT: BTW, to be clear, the mood of this post is laughter at the article, not any negative feeling :lol:
Saying that something is pathetic indicates negativity on your part, doesn't it?

Can you refute my arguments or does the article seem less "pathetic" now?
Last edited by Vesko on Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

Well, just as 'pathetic' I'm afraid. :lol:

I'll say again, that I am not an expert on abiogenesis. I know that there are many theories about how the simple building blocks of a protein could have formed etc..., but I don't know enough about the theories to argue in favour of them, and it is obvious from your posts that you do not know enough to criticise them.

How convenient then, that this topic isn't about abiogenesis.

It is right. Proteins cannot be replicated if there was no life to begin with. Since life itself is built of proteins, proteins must have 'happened' somehow, and according to evolution that would be through random changes (mutations) in non-living matter.
Aha! I didn't know you were talking about abiogenesis. (this applies to most of the other things you said in your post). I would not accept any criticisms of abiogenesis until that person has understood it, and until I have understood it.
Don't be so harsh on the author. How about writing an article about evolution yourself first and put it on a public page for everyone to inspect?
:lol: I've read some really good criticisms of evolution, and I've read some parodies of criticisms. This article comes so close to being a parody that it's funny (positive) how poor its arguments are.
First of all, while abiogenesis is technically not part of the theory of evolution, it is inextricably tied with it. Non-living matter to living matter is still evolution of matter.
Same applies here, I don't know enough about the theories and hypotheses of abiogenesis. I obviously wouldn't call it evolution of matter though, perhaps a better phrase would be 'chemical reaction' (forming compounds), whatever it turns out to be.

Second, you fail to realize that even the simplest form of life is already very complex. You have to show how you got from non-living matter to the simplest living.
No I don't and No I don't. Have you ran out of arguments against evolution? O:)
You are laughing, but the word "modern" which you use does not appear in the entire article. The author did not compare based on age.
I think the author was using the example of a protein found in humans, thus, modern. Don't forget that nobody is saying that one of the proteins we have today just magically appeared.
With Love
Vesko

Abiogenesis is completely relevant to the discussion because no evolution is possible without a way to create the first, most primitive, most minimalistic, living thing.
Meedan wrote:Well, just as 'pathetic' I'm afraid. :lol:
We'll see. Read below.
I'll say again, that I am not an expert on abiogenesis.
You do not need to be an expert to understand the probability calculations for forming the first protein -- read below.
I know that there are many theories about how the simple building blocks of a protein could have formed etc...
You know that there are many theories? Meedan, all the possible theories about the first protein (and thus first life) are only two:
-- Abiogenesis
-- Deliberate design (creation)

Abiogenesis is impossible (read below). Deliberate creation is possible.
...but I don't know enough about the theories to argue in favour of them, and it is obvious from your posts that you do not know enough to criticise them.
That it is obvious from my posts that I do not know enough how to criticise abiogenesis is only your conclusion, based on your other conclusion that the article I supplied is "pathetic". But the article is not pathetic at all --- read below the continuing proof against your incorrect conclusion.
How convenient then, that this topic isn't about abiogenesis.
This topic may not be about abiogenesis, but without abiogenesis or an alternative theory you don't have any life, and without having any life, the supposed phenomenon of evolution cannot even occur! Did you notice that when you do not have natural selection there is no evolution? So, before we talk about evolution, we ought to be FIRST talking about a way to create the first life. Even if you are one of those who think that God created the basic building blocks of life, and then evolution takes on, but then, where are the transitive fossils, with the lack of which I made a point in a previous post?
It is right. Proteins cannot be replicated if there was no life to begin with. Since life itself is built of proteins, proteins must have 'happened' somehow, and according to evolution that would be through random changes (mutations) in non-living matter.
Aha! I didn't know you were talking about abiogenesis. (this applies to most of the other things you said in your post). I would not accept any criticisms of abiogenesis until that person has understood it, and until I have understood it.
Aha? In my post, I explicitly pointed out the FIRST PROTEIN several times. So, you cannot blame me with your excuse that you did not know. It is your fault alone, irrelevant to the discussion.
:lol: I've read some really good criticisms of evolution, and I've read some parodies of criticisms. This article comes so close to being a parody that it's funny (positive) how poor its arguments are.
That is your personal opinion that I am disproving -- see below.
First of all, while abiogenesis is technically not part of the theory of evolution, it is inextricably tied with it. Non-living matter to living matter is still evolution of matter.
Same applies here, I don't know enough about the theories and hypotheses of abiogenesis. I obviously wouldn't call it evolution of matter though, perhaps a better phrase would be 'chemical reaction' (forming compounds), whatever it turns out to be.
There would be no evolution without living matter in the first place, so we are obliged to discuss how life appeared first before we discuss evolution. It is like discussing towers without knowing what bricks are. Thus, my discussion of abiogenesis in this topic is justified; nobody coerces you to discuss it, but it is not clever of you to dismiss the discussion.
Second, you fail to realize that even the simplest form of life is already very complex. You have to show how you got from non-living matter to the simplest living.
No I don't and No I don't. Have you ran out of arguments against evolution? O:)
It is not logical of you to tell me that I have run out of arguments against evolution when in my previous post I have clearly used abiogenesis as an argument that evolution has not any chance to occur at all. It is you that dropped discussing fossils because you didn't have an argument against mine, and now you drop abiogenesis as a required prerequisite for starting evolution because you don't have an argument against mine. I have countered successfully all your arguments so far; at present you are the one without any arguments.
You are laughing, but the word "modern" which you use does not appear in the entire article. The author did not compare based on age.
I think the author was using the example of a protein found in humans, thus, modern.
Your thinking is incorrect. Here's a section of the article I already quoted in this topic:
But even this is a "virtual certainty" compared to the probability of correctly assembling any one of the known biological proteins by chance!
The 500 amino acids that make up an average-sized protein can be arranged...
The 500 amino acids are involved in those calculations disproving that chance could have created the first protein, whatever else is written in the article. Now please read here, a book chapter titled "Probability and the First Proteins" in a book (note the title) "Evolution: Possible or Impossible" which presents a proof with step-by-step calculations that a protein even with as few as 400 amino acids can never appear by chance:
The length of the average protein in the smallest known living thing is at least 400 amino acid links, containing more than 7,000 atoms.
Please have a careful read of the following (and also the entire chapter of the book) to prove to yourself that it is completely impossible that abiogenesis is true, and thus evolution is also false. The emphasis in bold and coloring are mine:
For lack of any other way to estimate the proportion of meaningful amino acid sequences, let it be assumed that a similar probability exists as in the alphabet. We will, however, use the figure of 1 in 4400, because the amino acids are fewer than the alphabet letters, there being only 20.
On that basis, for an amino acid chain 400 long, the probability of getting a usable protein would be 1 in 4400, which is 1 in 10^240.
In using this formula based merely on the alphabet analogy, there is, of course, an uncertainty factor. There are many similarities, however, between the alphabet and the 20 amino acids. Some letters are much more “reactive” than others, like amino acids, and some are used sparingly. This uncertainty affects only the first stage of our study, namely, the first protein molecule to be produced by chance. There must be at least 239 matching protein molecules for a set, in order to provide the minimum number for the smallest theoretically possible living entity.
The probability of getting the first protein molecule was influenced by the formula taken from the alphabet analogy. The second one is more difficult to obtain, we have just seen, because it has to be more exact to match the first one, instead of being just any protein.
The total number of possible orders in a chain of 400 amino acids of 20 kinds is 20^400. (The formula is: the number of kinds to the power of the number of units in the chain.) As stated above, 20^400 is the same as 10^520.
Considering the first one as already obtained, we need 238 more. The second one could be any one of those 238. The probability is therefore 238/10^520. The third one could be any of the 237 still needed, so its probability would be 237 /10520. Calculating all of these, and allowing for one substitution per chain, we arrive at a probability of 1 in 10^122470. (See note 24 below.) Even if almost a trillion different sequences might work in each protein, the probability resulting is 1 in 10^119614. (See note 25 below.)
This figure represents the second through the 239th protein molecules. Multiplying in the first one, which was at a probability of 1 / 10^236, we arrive at the final figure for the minimum set needed for the simplest theoretical living entity, namely. 1 chance in 10^119850.
Earlier, we obtained the figure of 10^75 which was the total number of chains made since the earth began. In order to allow for overlapping sets of 239 each, we will use that same figure to represent the total protein sets formed. Dividing into the big figure just calculated, we learn that the odds against one minimum set of proteins happening in the entire history of the earth are 10^119775 to 1. (See note 26 below.)
Even if such a set could be obtained, we would not have life. It would simply be a helpless group of nonliving molecules alone in a sterile world, uncaring and uncared for, the end of the line. In chapter 10 we will see that even if unlimited substitution is allowed in 9/10 of all the positions, the odds against one minimum set of proteins are still beyond comprehension.
The odds against such a correctly ordered set of proteins for the smallest conceivable living entity are thus hopelessly large beyond understanding. The next chapter will make it easier to realize the gigantic size of even the smaller figures with which we have been dealing.
Chance was given every possible concession in this investigation. Its failure was miserable [pathetic, Meedan?] beyond power to describe. Yet chance is the only natural way that the first proteins could have been arranged. In all of the careful efforts of Oparin and his followers in their attempts to get life from nonlife, no real way has been found to get away from chance. It is the only possible source of the sequence, in the absence of planning, in spite of the millions of words and the valiant efforts expended in the attempts that have been made.
There is no real reason at present to believe that any living thing has ever existed that is simpler than the Mycoplasma hominis H39, which is the smallest living entity known. Although some viruses may be smaller, they do not qualify as autonomous self-replicating systems. A virus cannot duplicate itself without the help of a host cell whose machinery it must use to manufacture its proteins and nucleic acids. Instead of being an earlier step on the ladder of evolution, viruses are now thought by some scientists to be just the opposite, a deterioration or setback rather than part of the line of progress. Could it be that they are intimately involved with the curse that the Bible describes as having come upon the earth as a result of man’s sin?
Both the Mycoplasma hominis H39 and the theoretical smallest living thing have proteins averaging at least 400 amino acids of the 20 common varieties. Dr. Morowitz’ eminent work on the lower limits of size and complexity for living things was done, in part, for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Obviously the reason was to enable space missions to recognize any possible forms of life that might be simpler or different from our own. There seems to be no actual scientific evidence that would indicate a more primitive, simpler method of duplication than the one in use in existing living things.
Neither is there any adequate reason to think that there was ever a lesser number of amino acid types used in proteins. Many vital functions require proteins with all the twenty kinds included. Even viruses use all twenty. The same twenty are part of the theoretical minimal cell.
It is significant that the Yale team working on this subject has revised its figures upward at least twice. As research has progressed, it has become clear that the minimal living thing requires more parts than was at first thought. From 45 different proteins estimated as the lowest minimum in 1967, the number needed has risen to at least 124 different protein species.
The average molecular weight per protein has also been revised upward slightly.
If words are adequate, the situation appears utterly hopeless for a random linkup in a usable order. Even the hormones which the modern Lamarckian theory requires are likewise outside the realm of reasonable probability, as we saw in the case of insulin. Some hormones are complex proteins much larger than insulin.
Meedan wrote:Don't forget that nobody is saying that one of the proteins we have today just magically appeared.
Meedan, how did they appear if even the first protein cannot appear by chance? You don't have natural selection, so you don't have evolution, and the only way for a protein to be created is by pure chance. However, this only way is proved to be impossible. You cannot in all possible logic tell me that we must not discuss how living matter appeared for the first time before even thinking about discussing evolution.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

Meedan, how did they appear if even the first protein cannot appear by chance? You don't have natural selection, so you don't have evolution, and the only way for a protein to be created is by pure chance. However, this only way is proved to be impossible. You cannot in all possible logic tell me that we must not discuss how living matter appeared for the first time before even thinking about discussing evolution.
I can tell you that. I really don't know why you're having such a hard time understanding this. Evolution and abiogenesis are two different things, as YOU YOURSELF point out (when you recognise that if abiogenesis is true, it's still not technically 'evolution', since natural selection wouldn't work then, chemical reactions still would though, as far as I understand the laws of nature.) That is why there are so many religious evolutionists.

It is either possible for life to move from less-complex to more-complex, or it isn't possible. We call the process "evolution".

I notice that you later contradict yourself again by admitting another possibility for how abiogenesis is different.
Even if you are one of those who think that God created the basic building blocks of life, and then evolution takes on, but then, where are the transitive fossils, with the lack of which I made a point in a previous post?
:D Well well, you really don't have any other arguments against evolution. So, if I were to put it like that, suddenly it's not ludicrous to say that abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution? Also, you talk as if you think there are NO 'transitional fossils'. There are quite a few fossils that seem to be transitional, but the debate is over whether there are enough to show evolution.
There would be no evolution without living matter in the first place, so we are obliged to discuss how life appeared first before we discuss evolution. It is like discussing towers without knowing what bricks are. Thus, my discussion of abiogenesis in this topic is justified; nobody coerces you to discuss it, but it is not clever of you to dismiss the discussion.
There would be no paint without atoms, so does that mean that we are obliged to discuss how atoms formed before I start decorating my room?

It is not logical of you to tell me that I have run out of arguments against evolution when in my previous post I have clearly used abiogenesis as an argument that evolution has not any chance to occur at all. It is you that dropped discussing fossils because you didn't have an argument against mine, and now you drop abiogenesis as a required prerequisite for starting evolution because you don't have an argument against mine. I have countered successfully all your arguments so far; at present you are the one without any arguments.
Since abiogenesis is not required for evolution to be true, that argument is totally incorrect.

I dropped the fossil debate because I don't have the knowledge on the subject matter. I'm hearing arguments on both sides, your creationist arguments that there are no transitional fossils, and other sources explaining why there aren't as many as we'd like, but that there are significant numbers. I'm going to choose to ignore BOTH sides of the fossil debate.

I'm sure you'll agree that it is easier to criticise an idea when you don't understand it.

So, you don't think evolution is impossible, you just think that there are not enough fossils showing that it happened?

With regards to the article, I've found this page which might be of interest to you:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

It mentions what I was saying about the author's assumptions about the 'first' protein. (TalkOrigins is probably the most comprehensive site for addressing criticisms of evolution)

Good luck with your research on abiogenesis. I'll be doing that soon. But back to the subject of evolution, perhaps?
With Love
Vesko

Self-removed
Meedan

Re-read what I am saying. This topic is not about abiogenesis.

Either abiogenesis or creation happened - I agree.
abiogenesis or deliberate creation is required for evolution to be possible. Abiogenesis is impossible to happen. The only left possibility is creation.
They are required just as atoms are required in order to build a house. However, you don't need to know whether or not atoms were created by a god or not to build a house.

Your logic needs clarifying. All you can say is: If abiogenesis is impossible, then creation created the first life or building blocks of life.
ev·o·lu·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (v-lshn, v-)
n.

Biology.
Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
The historical development of a related group of organisms; phylogeny.

Arguing that abiogenesis is impossible does not make evolution impossible.

I'm going to write it again for you. Evolution is the process by which less-complex life forms evolve into more-complex lifeforms. Evolution does not attempt to ascertain how the first life came about. Whether abiogenesis is true, or creation of the first life is true, evolution is the theory of the process by which less-complex life forms evolve into more-complex lifeforms.

Can anyone else here just help explain this specific point to Vesko, so that we can move on?
With Love
Kestrel

Step back guys, lets not create to much tension.

Theres nothing wrong with arguing, but don't let this come between us.

You can't prove anything to anyone besides you'reself. Its really though, I hate to see you two do this, I know you're both passionate individuals. I respect you both and I am not going to get into what I think about it, just don't push away you're freinds over something in the scheme of the universe Insignifigant.

I am sure we will all know at some point in time right?
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Meedan

Since the fossil issues are such large ones, I shouldn't dismiss either side or both sides right now. I wasn't trying to prove anything, I had refuted all of the arguments I used to have against evolution, so I was seeing if there were any more that I didn't have. I'll look into the arguments you did give me though (cambrian explosion, dogs), but it seems I don't know enough about the major issue of fossils to debate evolution yet.
With Love
Vesko

You know, Meedan, I've been re-reading my central argument that evolution is impossible if abiogenesis is impossible, and now I see that concluding evolution is impossible on the basis that abiogenesis is impossible, is not valid. If abiogenesis is "skipped" by the Creator creating fully-formed creatures or even only the first cell, we can still theoretically have "evolution by natural selection" from there. Though I still stand by my earlier statement that there are no transitive fossils to support evolution, I admit that my latest posts on this topic using the abiogenesis argument have been misguided. I also think it is necessary to apologize to you for my previous post -- the misunderstanding has been mine. And the article you called "pathetic", I wouldn't call it pathetic to try to belittle it, but yes, it tries incorrectly to argue against the evolution of the eye through arguing against abiogenesis, similarly to what I was trying to do.
Vesko

I'm sure you note, though, that the impossibility of abiogenesis equates quite strikingly to there being a mysterious unknown creative force that created the first cell or creatures. If scientists admit that abiogenesis is impossible, I'm sure this will unnerve a lot of evolutionists because they will be hard pressed to prove what God or its equivalent did and did not do after creating the first life or life constituents. It's worth pointing out that for the public at large, the scientific finding that there is a creative force is going to be beneficial beyond measure, and as far as the theory of evolution is concerned, people won't really care if the theory is true or not -- people will now be sure there is a creator or a creative process, and that this creator may care for them and have a purpose for them.
Kestrel

What about the GI, in that case its been discribed as a "Distrubance" in "nothing". In a way, this may be similar to abiogenesis. Obviously I realize this is off topic, perhaps inaccurate. However note in a "Universe" this is totally diffrent. If the universe is created then it has parameters or certain unbreakable unbendable musts, that its govrened by its not chaos it has intelligent order.

Regarding the above post vesko. Indeed, but not to worry a crafty individual with ill motives will come about and mis guide them. If not orginized religon itself.
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
Vesko

Kestrel wrote:What about the GI, in that case its been discribed as a "Distrubance" in "nothing". In a way, this may be similar to abiogenesis.
It may be, indeed!
Obviously I realize this is off topic, perhaps inaccurate.
It's difficult, perhaps impossible to determine since to determine how a God or a some creative force sprang into existence, we'd have to know what the conditions were before the Big Bang, and things like that. We've discussed some of the problems with this on the topic "Evidence of Design in the Universe" in the "Science and Technology" forum.
However note in a "Universe" this is totally diffrent. If the universe is created then it has parameters or certain unbreakable unbendable musts, that its govrened by its not chaos it has intelligent order.
Yes, it may be totally different because of the possibly different conditions that had allowed an intellect to emerge from such non-living perturbations vs. the impossibility of life constituents such as proteins to emerge on their own from non-living matter in our universe.
Regarding the above post vesko. Indeed, but not to worry a crafty individual with ill motives will come about and mis guide them. If not orginized religon itself.
Yeah, too bad religion may come to the "rescue" once again...
Alisima

Vesko wrote:It's difficult, perhaps impossible to determine since to determine how a God or a some creative force sprang into existence, we'd have to know what the conditions were before the Big Bang, and things like that. We've discussed some of the problems with this on the topic "Evidence of Design in the Universe" in the "Science and Technology" forum.
There is no beginning and there is no end, it is a constant movement from left to right, from good to bad, from life to death, from something to nothing.
Don't read my signature.
Robanan

Alisima wrote:There is no beginning and there is no end, it is a constant movement from left to right, from good to bad, from life to death, from something to nothing.
You show that you have failed to see the whole big picture of the universe or you have "only" taken "matter" into consideration in order to make a general statement regarding your own worldview. There is an obvious contradiction in your statement:
If all is a constant movement from "something" to "nothing" then there would eventually be an "end" to "everything". This contradicts your original statement "There is no beginning and there is no end..."

if there would be an end there... it all had to have a beginning.
Vesko wrote:Yeah, too bad religion may come to the "rescue" once again...
I'm afraid so... Evil men can prevail only and only when good men do nothing (not my quote)
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Kestrel

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. "

These are the words of Mr. Edmund Burke. You might imagine by the name that hes from europe, ireland ;) He was a parliment under King George III, its intresting you hear that quotation alot these days.

Don't take this the wrong way at all, however in all reality we can only speculate what certin new information how that would affect things. My guess would be that certain people, lets kindly refer to them as "zealots". They see Jesus the way they want too. Now if you keep an open mind even with the bible it can be interpreted so many ways so many, you can interpret it for people in so many ways as well. I think this is evident allready however.
If you tell them something, they immeditly will give you a verse recalled from memory something about lacking faith or disbelivers will *** or what ever may be the case. These people are individuals, they are here on catagory earth with us. They are not evil, we are not supreme to them either, you can benifit from them. Ask them questions if they allow it, for what ever reason I can hope you're motives are good but those are you're choices. Do what ever basically because you could probally learn something even dispite the fact their unwavering belif that they can twist and yet in their eyes it remains strong as a steel I beam.
Anyways, yes indeed some may be sparked to think its those individuals whom I hope choose to keep thinking keep seeking and if a statement such as vesko has posted can do such thats wonderful. I don't fear these individuals won't find the proper guidance I am confident their higherself will help them if they are truly giving the correct questions from my level of understanding, this is the function of that great entity.

I think its dangerous to use that quote sometimes though it seems a bit, religon isent evil I guess thats what im trying to say, simply because it contians so many brilliant individuas. You can't measure the potentioal of a person by knowing their catholic or muslim ect.

What steps exactly would a "good man" in this situation do ? I think by perhaps just being able to pose the question and by that, their intelligence is reflected they have done their good deed. Its now an oppertunity for another, a chance a choice their choice not the good mans.

I hope you can see what im saying here no disrespect to you.
Thao