The 8 Circuits of Consciousness

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Zark

The 8 Circuits of Consciousness

Hope you like this :-). Despite being from a guy who uses far too many drugs, I still find it very interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 8 circuits of consciousness
from: http://www.totse.com/en/fringe/dreams_a ... rcuit.html

==== Introduction ====
"Timothy Leary's 8-Circuit Model of Consciousness
by Paul Clark

Timothy Leary came up with this theory -- or I guess model or map would be better terms -- for human consciousness. I get the impression he started working on it early in his LSD involvement, though I haven't yet been able to find where he first started talking about the ideas (I suspect there may be a reference in 'High Priest', but I haven't waded all the way through yet.)

His book on the subject was called 'Exo-Psychology', and has been republished with additional material in recent years under the title 'Info-Psychology' (New Falcon Publishing). (...)

(..snip..)

The 8-circuit model describes eight levels of function of human consciousness. Different books call these by different names -- 'circuits' (like different circuits in a computer), 'gears' (like shifting gears on a bicycle), 'grades' (like in elementary school)- you could call them 'burritos' if you want -- I like 'circuits'.

Anyhow, there are eight circuits. The lower four deal with normal psychology, while the upper four deal with 'psychic', 'mystical', 'enlightened', or perhaps even 'tripped-out' consciousness. The strong point of this system is that it integrates the two so well. Most theories deal with one or the other, but not both -- mundane psychology with no consideration of transcendant experience, or mystical foo-fa-ra with octaves and rays and spiritual this or that but no grounding in nitty-gritty down-to-earth surviving in the human jungle.

The first four 'normal' circuits are influenced very much by modern psychology, especially Adlerian developmental stuff. Part of the idea is that as you grow up from infancy, the various circuits are activated and begin to function, and you take an 'imprint' from the conditions at the time."

==== The heart of the theory ====
(..snip..)
Here's a rundown of the first four circuits:

1st circuit: Survival/security. Things are okay or they're not, or somewhere in between. This is connected to the first source of these things: nursing at Mom's nipple. People who take an imprint that things aren't safe all the time may compensate by eating, especially sweet things, pudding, 'nursery food' that makes them feel better for a while. This imprint is taken very early, in nursing. It's what's known in developmental psychology as 'oral'. Putting things in your mouth is always fun!

2nd circuit: Territorial/Emotional. This is a very particular definition of 'emotional'- are you feeling up or down? Are you on top of the world or down in the dumps? This is related to basic primate pecking order stuff- who's the big tough dog and who's the little submissive dog? Later, when you get your own turf where you can be a little king, you can defend it against others by throwing *** at each other (in the form of words, lawsuits, horn honking, or however you prefer to 'dump on' people).

This one is full of stereotypes- all the examples I gave were kinda male, yet every female knows there's just as much game-playing between women. Women traditionally have been made submissive to men, but in many cases that's not the case, and in any case there's a lot of passive-agressive ways the tables are turned in each direction. This corresponds to the '***' stage, and the first imprints are taken during toilet training- this develops greatly when the kid starts playing with other kids and finding out where they stand- big kids are always telling little kids what to do.

3rd circuit: Conceptual. This kicks in even before school- kids are hungry to learn. This circuit is the ability to make mental models of things, which help you 'figure things out' and 'be clever'. The imprint you take is whether you feel smart or stupid (which is different from BEING smart or stupid!)

Sometimes people who have a bad time in other circuits compensate in 3rd circuit- actually, that can happen with any of them. Note also that there are different KINDS of intelligence- verbal, mathematical, visual/spatial, musical, etc, etc... but as Robert Anton Wilson says, "...the people with the verbal intelligence have control of the language, so they call themselves THE intellectuals." My father, who is a clinical psychologist, always mentions a particular basketball player (I forget who) whom he claims is a genius in spatial/motor intelligence, regardless of the fact that the guy probably reads on a 7th grade level.

4th circuit: Social/Sexual. Whereas 2nd circuit deals with who bosses who, 4th deals with who is cool. What this comes down to is that depending on whether someone is cool or not, you'd let them get close to you or not, running a spectrum from not talking to someone at all (the snub) to having sex with them, with many subtle shades in between.

(..snip..)

5th circuit: Bliss/Healing, Neurosomatic Feedback. When 1st circuit security gets great enough, it becomes bliss, as one becomes aware of one's sensation of pleasure and learns to generate those sensations at the source. This is the SF brainbox that directly stimulates one's pleasure centers, only the box is also your brain! This feedback loop gets going, and one may remain in the state until kicked out for some reason (the world makes demands, or the chemical that boosted you into the state wears off).

Ever seen a picture of a meditating yogi in bliss? In this state, you realize you can make yourself feel bliss just as easily as you can move your muscles or keep still.

When this awareness is applied to others, the 5th circuit energy works to help their 1st circuit state- this is the principle of healing. Alli believes charisma is connected to 5th circuit, though I suspect it has to do with the others as well.

6th circuit: Psychic. This is awareness of the great information network in which we swim.

The connection to 2nd circuit is not so obvious- I became aware of the connection following a series of dreams, in which certain traumatic events of my youth were replayed, but in ways that made it obvious that the real issues were current things that had nothing to do with the old stuff. The old stuff was stuff I'd worked to uncover and work out, and I'm pretty certain there wasn't much undealt trauma left. Why was I dreaming about it? I realized that the current situation provided the flow of anxious energy, but when that flow arose, it followed the same channel cut by the old trauma, just like a flash flood will follow an old dry riverbed.

Emotions seem to run in channels in the mind, metaphorically speaking, and in the same way psychics speak of 'channeling' material from outside. This is as far as I can put it into words- I'm no master of any of these upper four, I just offer this in case it will help someone else's insight.

7th circuit: Mythical Intelligence. This is the realm of the shaman, of spirit animals, Gods and Goddesses. It is the Dreamtime. 3rd circuit draws models of specifics in the conscious world. 7th circuits draws models of the patterns of archetype that make up the unconscious world. It does this by telling stories that illustrate the patterns that arise from these archetypes. When 7th circuit awareness is working, one realizes how these patterns are being played out, and instead of just acting in the world, one is at the same time coming into direct contact with the archetypal.

8th circuit: Out-of-Body Experiences, Factor X, and ???? This is the far reaches, and not much is really understood about it. Since 4th circuit has to do with letting others get close and even (especially in the case of sexuality) merging with them, it makes sense that 8th might have to do with overcoming the obtacle of one's physical boundaries.
(..snip..)
(To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams
Alisima

I would just call them chakra's.

I've had my expiriment-fase with alcohol and weed. But im not planning on taking any of them for the rest of my life.

I did gave me some interesting results. With alcohol i degraded myself only to a lower level of consciousness. With weed i had more pleasant times. Some people i know smoke it to induce obe.
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

I too have a friend who is very informed and interested in spiritual matters, and he experiments with alcohol and weed. He thinks that it can help him to have OBE and other spiritual experiences, and I tell him that he's badly mistaken... but to no avail. He must learn the hard way.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

Weed does relax your muscles and increase sensory input. I've had a few natural trances while being high. Perhapse that is why they call it "high".

I dont recommend it to anyone though, the temple of a man is inside himself, and he doesnt need anything external to enter. Drugs just gives you a small taste of it, against a price ofcourse.
Don't read my signature.
Leventis

I don't think that drugs can help you have OBE. Especially after reading the thiaoouba prophecy I can say that I am rather scared. I still drink sometimes. Alcoho only brings me bad dreams at night and a very annoying sleep. I have also noticed that if you don't sleep, you drink or take drugs. Your mind is not that "sharp" Meaning that its hard to concentrate and actually be there.
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
Alisima

Yeah, it really is hard to concentrate.

I'm sober now for quite some time. I really love it. There is a down side to it though. Most of my friend think I'm out of my mind because I dont drink anymore. "Come on have a drink", they all say. "What is wrong with just 1 drink?"

When I try to say, as best as i can, that I prefer to be sober, they all look at me thinking I lost it.

A month ago they saw my wearing my chakra shirt. Hehe, it takes alot of gut to do the thing that are right.

Solitude, I love it and I hate it.
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

Alisima wrote:Solitude, I love it and I hate it.
Solitude pays off tremendously. The most fruitful thoughts I have when I am alone.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

Vesko wrote:The most fruitful thoughts I have when I am alone.
I totally agree with you.
Don't read my signature.
Leventis

I agree with you but I don't agree with the fact that we should deny society at all levels and live a hermetic life. Not at all. Until now I have concluded that we should live our lives but spend enough time for our spiritual groth and for our-selves in general. WHen I am out all the time, I notice that I don't pay attention to my spiritual groth. I know I should do something but I don't so I start tending to stay home a little bit more. [/u]
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
Vesko

No, no hermitic life is required or even desirable. You can read my opinion about "living in the world" based on Swami Rama's insights in Is Sai Baba Sent from Thiaoouba, Too? in the General Discussion forum.
Alisima

There are no rules. When you think you are better off living a hermitic life then there is no one stopping you. I even think there are a few positive things due to a hermitic life. It is not necessary, however.
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

I wouldn't like to contradict myself with my thoughts above, but I'll confess that I have a deep fascination with being a spiritual hermit / recluse. There are indeed no rules and it depends, and I think being a recluse at times and for a certain period of time could be very beneficial, i.e. to perfect a certain difficult skill without any distractions. As for being a hermit most of the time, and thus escaping society, I think it is not good. Then again, perhaps being a hermit for 100 years and then a 50% wordly person for another 100 years would be acceptable, although that's still being a hermit most of the time, but somehow the freedom and independence of solitude seem truly precious to me :). Oh well, I'll see. Plus, a hermit can have a love life, can he/she? ;) I'm talking about true love, not necessarily sex...
Aisin

Alisima wrote:Yeah, it really is hard to concentrate.

I'm sober now for quite some time. I really love it. There is a down side to it though. Most of my friend think I'm out of my mind because I dont drink anymore. "Come on have a drink", they all say. "What is wrong with just 1 drink?"
not sure whether anybody else has experienced a bad fall on the back of the head, hope u won't have to go through this. i had, and it was terrible. hard to concentrate was 1 thing, dizziness in addition, and slow reaction & slight difficulty in coordinating ur hands to do what u desire it to do. it felt vaguely similar to the kinda feeling when u have a small amount of alcohol, but on an empty stomach, that the effect is very abrupt & intense.

ever since the injury (and the recovery, don't worry guys i'm not suffering from brain damage & blabbering away here) , i've never touched another drop of alcohol. it just disgusts me to think of the similarity in the way i feel after the physical head injury & after drinking. i didn't really like drinking in the first place. anyway, thumbs up to alisima.