In case you forget to log in and post as a guest

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

VeskoP

In case you forget to log in and post as a guest

If you forget to log in and post as a guest (anonymous), immediately copy the content of the post, log in with your usename and password, and post again. All duplicate posts are going to be deleted by a moderator or an administrator.

Added on 2005-10-07: To prevent spamming that I see is becoming a real problem with forums, guest posting has been disallowed.

Edit on 2006-02-24: Post title converted to lowercase (wasn't going to note this unnecessarily but did so because otherwise you may wonder why the "Last edited on..." line below, added by the forum software itself, specifies a date more recent than 2005-10-07. Note that if the forum software is upgraded in the future, you may not see the same line or perhaps even not see it at all).
Last edited by VeskoP on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
VeskoP

Guest posting has been enabled again. Hopefully, it will make some more people willing to post. Unfortunately, it will also lead to find out how much spam we are going to get these days. Of course, it will be disabled again if there are significant problems.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Alisima

VeskoP wrote:Guest posting has been enabled again. Hopefully, it will make some more people willing to post. Unfortunately, it will also lead to find out how much spam we are going to get these days. Of course, it will be disabled again if there are significant problems.
Spam is essentially a part of the whole 'let's-discuss-on-a-public-domain'. You can shut out spam but then you are shutting out people too, and, visa versa, you can attract people, but then you attract spam too. There is no one without the other. Spam and people are the same. Everywhere where there is spam there are people and everywhere where there are people there is spam.

The problem is: where do you draw the line? A place with open doors, and thus many people and much spam, is going to be chaotic, uncontrolled, full with spam but, can house a lot of information too, between the lines. A place with closed doors however, and thus less people and much less spam, is going to be more ordered, easier to access but, doesn't have that information a place with open doors has. Ofcourse there are many hybrid forms, but the whole mechanics of a half-public/half-private discussion board comes with extra filtering taks.

Come to think of it, I recently wanted to used the word d*a*m*n in a post of mine, as a joke, nothing harmfull. It was, however, denied for it was seen as vile language. Well, that may be, but it was a joke. Nothing vile about a joke. Although I perfectly understand why it is vile language and not allowed, I felt I could not express myself as I wanted, and that all because "what if someone used it for really vile things?" Hmm, I understand that. But it has implications other than keeping out scum, of which I suppose you are already aware.

No statement here, just wanted to share the strenuousness a forum admin needs to go through with.
Don't read my signature.
VeskoP

Your feedback is most welcome. My rationale behind allowing guest posting again is like yours. There is also the possibility of enabling a visual check for guest posting, like the one the forum has during the registration process for new users.

Regarding the use of vile language and its theoretical possible use for positive purposes, I do not understand why you felt limited in practice. I can't think of anything positive that can't be said with full meaning after omitting such language. Can you give an example?
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Yothu

I think the process of registering a username on the board means no hurdle to people that want to post a message.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
shezmear

I think opening it up to the public to say what they like with out registering will bring about extra work and grief, if someone has something they would like to share then the very least they can do it sign up, get a name and join in, "responsibility and accountability", if I `m a guest I can say what I like and feel no sense of responsibility for what I have written, I can nuke the site and leave.

Through out our the universe there are controls, and they have there place,

And yes I can think of a couple of things that could be said, which once you filter out the bad language there would be nothing useful in them.

I also think you could write a generic email that is called something like “the art of intelligent disagreement” that when some one sign’s up they get a email that is sent out to them, which out lines how to approach intelligent discussion, which will hopefully keep people from decaying into power struggles, I could run you up a draft if you like? It would take me a week to write and could be fun.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
VeskoP

Again, thank you for the feedback. I see this as an experiment, to see if more people would post if they did not have to register. Let's run it for a few weeks and see the results.
Shezmear wrote:And yes I can think of a couple of things that could be said, which once you filter out the bad language there would be nothing useful in them.
Could you please give some (more benign) example?

Such a registration email is a nice idea, you are most welcome to contribute.
shezmear

I’m talking about a response that is filled with rage,sacarstaic abuse and threats, something that anybody that wants to have any long standing credibility would steer away from, as a guest you could pretty well say what you like, you could even just pop on and make a mess , stir every body up, then leave again.

I can PM you with such a response as an example if you need to see one, but don’t say I did not warn you, it will be unpleasant.
J.C
VeskoP

I've read many horrendous public so-called "communications" on USENET and elsewhere, so I know what you mean. I've concluded that spam is not the biggest problem, and I think you make the same point. Full (or as much as possible) anonymity on the Internet can and does make many humans far lower than the most primitive creature. Love and understanding is in such a great deficit and so many sensible people (as well as the less sensible ones, but they don't realize it) need it that it is quite evident to me without reading any philosophy or book that we are a terribly bankrupted planet.

Let's close the doors again then. Anyone else's opinion?
shezmear

I don`t think we need to "close the door`s" just, filter it a bit.
J.C
VeskoP

What kind of filtering? We either allow guest posting or not. Possibly add a visual check against robotic spam, but it won't stop bad people. Am I missing something?
Yothu

Shezmear wrote:talking about a response that is filled with rage,sacarstaic abuse and threats
Such a message would be removed immediately.

---

Regarding the "filter": In the last years many forums have converted to "one must be registered to be able to post". Getting a free hot-mail adress is a matter of minutes. Also, when registered, one can easily trace ongoing discussions, which a guest-user can't that easily.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
VeskoP

Shezmear wrote:I also think you could write a generic email that is called something like "the art of intelligent disagreement" that when some one sign's up they get a email that is sent out to them, which out lines how to approach intelligent discussion, which will hopefully keep people from decaying into power struggles, I could run you up a draft if you like? It would take me a week to write and could be fun.
Thank you very much for your worthwhile contribution -- that was fast! It's already active and new users will get it upon registering. We'll get back to you if any significant changes are made to it.
shezmear

O.k. Vesko, if it comes down to a choice of doing it or not, then I would say, not...and yes, you are right, you can not stop so called "bad people", given the nature of what it is.

Also Yothu, yes, such a message would be removed, however someone has to do that, this is "extra work", and there may well be someone who is happy to do that on going, I’m just thinking from what I would consider to be the most proficient system.

and in all if someone really wants to be nasty, they can...
J.C
VeskoP

Yes, you are right that someone could come and stir quite a few people on the forum more easily even though the message would be quickly removed. And you are right about the extra work, too.

I don't know guys, if you think it's not worth it, it's easy to deactivate. Or now that I've activated it, we may run it for a couple of weeks to see how it goes, and then still flip the switch. I'll do whatever your collective perception is here.