Wake Up Stretching

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Leventis

Wake Up Stretching

Do you remember when you were young and every time you woulld wake up you would strech your arms upwards and then strech your whole body. Well you might not, but I do. I remember when I was young everytime I would wake up I would strech, before even getting up. Lately I have start doing it again.

You might be wondering how I came up with this. Well a friend of mine has a cat, and I see it sleep a lot of times. When she wakes up she always streches and in a sense yawns so all her muscles are being streched and used. If you see documentaries of lions lets say you see them stretching all the time.

It is just something that I have noticed and I wanted to share with others. :) My explanation of it is that when we sleep we form some chemichal that paralyses(sp?) our body. By streching we just break it down and allow our-selves to get up. Streching in general also helps into blood circulation and we feel less tense.
Leventis
The only good is knowledge and the only evil ignorance.
-Socrates
Robanan

I have three cats. I confirm your observation and I agree with your conclusions. :)
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Alisima

cats are lovely indeed.
Don't read my signature.
Aisin

Re: Wake up streching...

Well a friend of mine has a cat, and I see it sleep a lot of times. When she wakes up she always streches and in a sense yawns so all her muscles are being streched and used. If you see documentaries of lions lets say you see them stretching all the time.
i've seen a dog do it naturally too. it wasn't immediately after waking up, frankly speaking, a dog is so hyper-active after waking up that i have difficulty coping with it and it's hard for me to catch the moment it stretches before it starts to jump around.

it was when the dog was resting later in the day, and it was sitting up, it just pushed its front legs straight to the front and stretches its back. i imitated the gesture, and found it very enjoyable :wink:
It is just something that I have noticed and I wanted to share with others. :) My explanation of it is that when we sleep we form some chemichal that paralyses(sp?) our body. By streching we just break it down and allow our-selves to get up. Streching in general also helps into blood circulation and we feel less tense.
I definitely disagree with this -> "when we sleep we form some chemichal that paralyses(sp?) our body" , although i have no way to prove that during sleep no special chemical is produced (which isn't produced when we'r awake). even if such chemical is really produced, i doubt it 'paralyses' our body, otherwise we will have problems moving around after long sleeps. moreover, toxins occur in our body almost throughout the day. this is only logical reasoning on my part :idea: comments are welcome.

i do, however, agree with u that stretching is beneficial. it triggers natural detoxification capabilties in our body. coincidentally, in yoga-asana , a lot of exercises involve stretching of many parts of the body.
Alisima

Re: Wake up streching...

aisin wrote:I definitely disagree with this -> "when we sleep we form some chemichal that paralyses(sp?) our body" , although i have no way to prove that during sleep no special chemical is produced (which isn't produced when we'r awake). even if such chemical is really produced, i doubt it 'paralyses' our body, otherwise we will have problems moving around after long sleeps. moreover, toxins occur in our body almost throughout the day. this is only logical reasoning on my part :idea: comments are welcome.
There are definitely some "movement-blockers" released when you go to sleep. Those "blockers" block you from moving in your dreams. Otherwise we would move our arms and legs if we dreaming about walking.

Some people, when having a nightmare, response physically to what they are doing in their dreams. I myself used to kick and punch when I was asleep. (you can ask my mother :wink: )

Another way to test it is by going in a trance state. You will feel heaviness, numbness, falling sensations, loss of spatial awareness, etc.

Anyway, here are some excersises for streching. They are quite good actually. Comes from "The Kundalini Book of Living and Dying" subtitled "Gateways to Higher Consciousness", from authors Ravindra Kumar & Jytte Kumar Larsen. A very good book.

"The postures described here take about 45 minutes to preform. Inhale before the beginning of the posture and exhale slowly as you disengage from it. This set of postures will produce calm, serenity, and automatic concentration on the Third eye. It provides an all-round development of the physical body and transforms sexual desire into unconditional love.

1. Stand straight with your feet abour one foor apart. Keep your hands on your waist and bend backward with your eyes toward the sky. Six to ten repetitions.

2. Stand straight with your feet two to three feet apart. Put your hands on your waist. Bend to the left and touch the outside of your knee with your left fingers twice. Do the same on the right side. This is one set. Repeat six to ten sets.

3. Lie face up, and yawn like a cat for a few minutes.

4. Lie face down, legs together. Raise one leg at a time, as high as you comfortably can, keeping it straight. Repeat seven times, alternating legs. Now raise both legs together and hold that position for a few seconds. Then lower them slowly to the resting position. Repeat three times.

5. Lie face down with your hands parallel to your body. Bend your legs up and reach back to grasp your ankels with your hands so that your body takes the position of a bow. Hold the posture from 30 seconds to one minute.

6. Lie face down with your legs together and your hands palms down beside your shoulders, parallel to your body. Pushing with your hands, raise your upper body like a cobra raising its hood. Bring your body into the shape of a cobra, touching the ground with your navel region and turning your eyes toward the sky as much as possible. Hold the position for 20 seconds and repeat two to three times.

7. Sit on the ground with your back straight, legs stretched out. Pull your heels in with both hands, pressing them against your body; keep your eyes closed and focus your attention on the third eye. Hold the position for about a minute.

8. Kneel on the ground with your back straight, knees together, resting on your heels. Slide your seat off your heels to the right so that both legs are now bent to your left. Lift your left leg over your right, placing your left foor on the ground, touching the outside of your right knee. Place your right hand on your left knee and hold your left foot with your right hand. Twists your body to the left as much as possible, and look toward the left. Hold the position for 20 seconds. Interchange the roles of the right and left parts of the body and hold the posture for 20 seconds.

9. Sit on your feet with you heels turnes aside, making room for your hips. Keep your spine straight , with your hands on your knees and your attention focused on your third eye. Hold for 5 minutes. (This is perhapse the only pose that can be practiced for 15 to 20 minutes, soon after eating a meal, to produce quick digestion. This is known as vajradana.) Then breath out completely and push your stomach in and out 20 to 30 times while holding that exhalation. Repeat 4 to 8 times.

10. Lie fact up with your back on the ground. Raise one leg, hold it at a 45-degree angle for a few seconds, and then slowly lower it. Repeat with the other leg. Repeat this movement with both legs seven times. Now raise both legs together, hold them at a 45-degree angle for a few seconds, and lower them slowly. Repeat three times.

11. Lie face up with your legs bent and the soles of your feet touching the ground, arms parallel to your body. Raise your body from the middle as high as your comfootable can, making a bow between your feet and your shoulders. Hold the position for 5 seconds then lower slowly. Repeat 7 to 8 times.

12. Lie face up with your legs bent and the soles of your feet touching the ground, arms parallel to your body. Keeping the center of your body on the ground, raise your hips as high as you can and hold the position for a few seconds, then lower your hips slowly. Now keeping your hips in touch with the ground, raise the center of your body, making an arch for a few seconds and then slowly lower. Repeat 7 to 8 times.

13. Lie face up with your knees bent and your feet together with soles touching the ground. Place your arms out to the sides, slightly apart from your body. Slowly lower your knees to the right until they touch the ground, keeping your face looking up to the sky. hold the position for a few seconds, come back to the original position, and repeat the exercise, lowering your legs to the left. Repeat 7 to 8 times.

14. Lie face up, back on the ground. Bend your legs, hold them behind the knees, and pull them into your body, getting your knees as close to your body as possible. Press your knees agianst your body twice, then repeat. This can be done ten times in two held breaths. Repeat the exercise with one leg then the other, and then with both legs togerher again. After the set is complete, lie face up, back on the ground, arms resting at your sides. Relax your whole body as completely as possible. All thoughts should be as relaxed as well. This restores blood circulation. Hold the position for one to two minutes. This is called shavasana, or death posture.

15. Sit cross-legged with one of your heels pressing the region of the mooladhar chakra, or root center. The heel of the other foot should rest on the top of the first heel and press afainst the second chakra called swadhishthan, or the sacral center. This is siddhasana for men and siddhayoniasana for women. Men should take care that their genitals are not crushed between their heels. Women should also take care as the lower heel has to press against the root chakra through the vaginal opening.

Rest your hands on your knees, palms up, and center your attention between your eyebrows. This is the favorist posture of yogis because it keeps the spinal column straight, which quickens the awakening of kundalini and facilitates its upward movement.

16. Sit in the posture described in step 9 (vajrasana). Bend foward from the waist until your forehead and nose touch the ground and your hands and arms are streched out on the ground in front of you. Breathe in a relaxed way. This is shashankasana; it brings balance in breathing through both nostrils to produce equanimity and readiness for going into mediiation. The posture should be held for 15 minutes.

17. Shirshasana (headstand): This is a very special yogic posture recommended to men for speedy spiritual growth, since it helps by reversing the direction of flow of the seminal fluid. One can do it for any amount of rime, raging from one minute to a half hour. Place your forehead on a cushion on the ground and cup your head between your interlocked palms. Set your elbows firmly on the ground forming a tripod with your head and elbows. Raise your whole body up slowly, with your weight on your forehead and both elbows. Hold your body and legs straight, with the soles of your feet facing the sky. This posture should be held at least one minute or for as long as you can. In case of difficulty, this posture can be held against a wall. With regular practice, one can become urdhvareta, or the one in whom the flow of semen has been reversed.

18 Sarvangasana (shoulderstand): This is another special yogic posture recommended to men for speedy spiritual growth, since it helps by reversing the direction of the seminal fluid. One can do it for any amount of time, ranging from one minute to a half hour. Lie face up with your back on the ground and your hand paraller to your body. Raise the lower portion of your body upward so your weight is placed on the tripod of your elbows and shoulders. Place your hands on your waist to support the weight of your body. Stretch your legs straight up. Your head should be resting on the ground and your breathing relaxed. Hold the posture for at least a minute or for as long as you can. It is an alternative to shirshasana and has similar benefits."

All postures are highly recommendable.
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

I have said elsewhere on the forum, that I have found the hard way that there is no substitute for full yoga practice such as Iyengar yoga, and I really could not over-recommend the latter. However, some people have disabilities and are not able to perform the full set of exercises, so the Tibetan five, and exercises such as the ones described above are still beneficial.

Regarding the chemical blockers -- it is well known now, that when the body falls asleep, the brain disables the issuing to commands to all muscles responsible for limbic movement (well, not exactly completely, it depends on the depth of sleep), and all the systems of the physical body slow down their activity. This slowing down is for a reason, but it causes biochemical concentrations in specific body areas to change, making necessary some exercises that help normalize those concentrations. Of course, it's not as simple as I desribe it.

A slew of chemicals are involved in the sleep process to paralyze / unparalyze the body, change to / from the altered mind states, etc. and some of those chemicals are well known to our contemporary science.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

Can you recommend a site which deals with Iyengar yoga?
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

No, I can't help you with that. I'm practicing according to the book "Light on Yoga". Find it and buy it. I started last year and practice daily (but also had to interrupt for a couple of months). I had tried yoga in 2000 but the exercises were obviously not in the right combination for me. I have also tried a lot with the Tibetan Five, and again the results were not proportionate to the effort invested in them. From week 1, the Iyengar yoga starts with a unique, wonderful combination of exercises that stretches and develops strength in the back and shoulders -- two pivotal (literally :)) muscle areas of the body that suffer greatly and can never be fine-tuned without special exercises. It really seems that with more expertise in the exercises and a following of the 300-week program, one can learn to model one's body like clay... I hope I will be able to follow...
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Alisima

Thanks, I'll certainly buy that book. But not today. I've already ordered 7 books which arrive tomorrow and I've got to keep an eye on my bank account.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

Iyengar yoga? hmmmm........ Tibetan five is powerful already for me. New hair start to grow because of this. Probably Iyengar yoga is even more powerful but might need some time to acquire the skills and longer time to practise than Tibetan Five. How long did take to practise the full set of Iyengar yoga , Vesko?
Vesko

bomohwkl wrote:Iyengar yoga? hmmmm........ Tibetan five is powerful already for me. New hair start to grow because of this. Probably Iyengar yoga is even more powerful but might need some time to acquire the skills and longer time to practise than Tibetan Five. How long did take to practise the full set of Iyengar yoga , Vesko?
Well, with yoga you need to acquire skills all the time, the book itself is divided into sub-sets of exercises spanning 300-weeks, and when those weeks elapse, you are told that this is only the beginning (but at least you've covered all the spectrum, although even this is not the whole truth)... Each sub-set spans from anywhere from 1 to 25 (approx.) weeks (the average number of weeks are less than that), so I'm only a couple of sub-sets into the full series of exercises. Also, when I stopped for a couple of months, I had to start from the beginning, but it was easier this time.

I have spoken to some people with multi-year practice, and some of them say that Ashtanga Power yoga is better for them. You might want to experiment with different, how to call them, yoga styles, but for me, Iyengar yoga has been an empowering experience from the start -- and it was high time that I found something like that, because I've had quite a bit of physical problems over the years -- not something extremely life-threatening, but quite inconvenient nevertheless -- and all were related to the back and shoulder upper torso areas that I managed to influence positively through those same yoga exercises. I hope I don't sound too devotional. Also, I've been practicing weight-lifting and that helps a lot, too, but as an antidote against a certain class of physical problems and from an effort expended vs. benefit received perspective, Iyengar yoga is superior, from my experience and in my opinion. That doesn't mean that weightlifting doesn't have unique benefits, and in fact one could practice both, as they haven't interfered for me so far.

Oh, sometimes I do wish the world was very simple... and that one could give an advice set in stone such as "do this and this exercise and nothing else" but the world is not so simple... but it's so fascinating...

Growing hair? Marcus recently sent me an unique advice from Edgar Cayce regarding the cause of allergies. It had to do with spinal subluxations (nerve pinchings -- they could be minute and still have a negative effect!) that weaken the lung and throat area and negatively over-stimulate other areas. I'll see how the yoga exercises go because I have a terrible hay fever... My other point is, that the spinal subluxations have been cited by Cayce as a cause for baldness, too.
bomohwkl

Growing hair? Marcus recently sent me an unique advice from Edgar Cayce regarding the cause of allergies. It had to do with spinal subluxations (nerve pinchings -- they could be minute and still have a negative effect!) that weaken the lung and throat area and negatively over-stimulate other areas. I'll see how the yoga exercises go... My other point is, that the spinal subluxations were cited by Cayce as a cause for baldness, too.
I hope to combact the gentic factor of baldness. There is an genetic inherence from my farther side and all males get bold by the time of 30s. And surprisingly, since the gene comes from my fatherside of my mum, they all have a bit of lung problems-asthma. Can Five Tibetan can change that? Can meditation change that (I read that someone get his hair back at 20s after practising transcendal meditation even his doctor tell him because of genetic factor, he couldn't have any hair back exceot transplant. But still I see somone people who are bald even practising TM but I havent seen people practising yoga get bald, probably, those who i got to know are all women and men doesn;t likely to be interest in alternative healing).
Last edited by bomohwkl on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vesko

Alisima wrote:Thanks, I'll certainly buy that book. But not today. I've already ordered 7 books which arrive tomorrow and I've got to keep an eye on my bank account.
If you buy from Amazon / Barnes & Noble, be sure to forward any discounts to some friends -- Yothu has asked for this, put him first on the list.
Marcus

I hope to combact the gentic factor of baldness. There is an genetic inherence from my farther side and all males get bold by the time of 30s. And surprisingly, since the gene comes from my fatherside of my mum, they all have a bit of lung problems-asthma. Can Five Tibetan can change that? Can meditation change that (I read that someone get his hair back at 20s after practising transcendal meditation even his doctor tell him because of genetic factor, he couldn't have any hair back exceot transplant. But still I see somone people who are bald even practising TM but I havent seen people practising yoga get bald, probably, those who i got to know are all women and men doesn;t likely to be interest in alternative healing).
I am practicing Tibetans, lets see if it stops or reverses my balding.

Side note: Tom has an amazing head and face of hair :lol:
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Alisima

He Vesko,

I got the book you recommended, "Light on Yoga", and I must say it is a great book, specially because of the great, and many, illustrations. I still need to begin reading though, but it looks promising.

Any other books you would recommend me? :D
Don't read my signature.